Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting Shows Hot Button

Wapsi:

I understand exactly what you are saying. I agree that each hunter's circumstances play into their goals for hunting.

I don't know about the previous statements but what I don't care for anymore is the seasoned hunters (ok I'll say it, Potts) who seem to over-play their emotions regarding each and every buck they shoot like it is a monumental kill. I prefer the guys who keep their emotions in check most of the time except for when the occasional exceptional kill occurs. At least when those instances occur you know your watching the real emotions come out. Examples I can think of would be Snow, Kisky, and Winke.

I, unfortunately, wear my emotions on my sleeve but I admire the way those guys carry themselves on film.

JMO

I'm sure I'll get toasted for this one, but I think the whole video thing that everyone is trying to do has really taken the fun out of what hunting is suppose to be. I don't even run trail cams any more becuase I think it takes away from the fun. To me, not know what is out there and the initial shock of seeing a buck you really like is what makes hunting so fun. The years that I ran the cameras, I was always letting good deer walk because of that one buck I was getting pictures of. It wasn't fun any more.

And, since I'm way up on my soap box now, i'll tell you another thing that has really started irritating the heck out of me this year, and that's all this "hit list" talk. I'm getting so tired of everyone talking about their "hit list" and coming up with such retarded names for deer just so they can say..."Lucky Bullwinkle G2 buck is on my hit list". If you can't tell, I think the "hit list" thing is stupid. Just go out and hunt like you did when you first started years ago. I'll guarantee you'll have alot more fun. Get back to the way it was meant to be done! Ok, I need feel better now. I need a beer!

Wapsiguy,

I also completely understand what you're saying, but I think you're taking some of us wrong.

I have no issues with people that shoot younger deer. I shot a 3 1/2 yr. old last year. My issue is that a vast majority of these pro-staffers are preaching QDMA like it's a religion, just to turn around and shoot a not-so-mature deer. It's almost hipocracy in my eyes.

Definately don't agree with your stance on "hit lists", but to each their own I guess. I see no harm in getting to know your deer and giving them a name. I've never had one because I don't really run cams, but I will in the future. I think it would make things MORE fun, seriously. It would be awesome to shoot a deer that I've had a history with, other than, "well, I'm pretty sure I saw this one once or twice last year". I promise you one thing, when I do get to that point, I'll be hunting just like I am now. In a tree or on the ground, bow in hand and enjoying every minute of it!

I agree with DB, running cams is an addiction in its own, and I love knowing the deer that are on my properties, I think it only adds to the anticipation of the archery season. It also aids in ageing and scoring your deer properly ( if your into that ) which I will be the first to say that there is nothing wrong with it if your not. That goes back to what I said earlier about hating it when someone sais " thats a shooter ", every deer is a "shooter" , just depends on whoes pulling the trigger! " judge not, less thee be judged thyself " just enjoy this amazing sport that we all love!!!!:)

I would rather watch Pretty Woman then any of that crap on TV and that is saying something.

Ha...thats funny. I would rather watch Sleepless in Seattle.

Drurys, Kiskys, Lakoskys, ect, have single handedly ruined hunting. You talk to half the people hunting anymore and its like its not even worth going out without a video camera. It just amazes me how much things have changed.

Am I missing something

I dont reply much but this definitely has my interest. First off, if I could make my living by making hunting shows or dvd's sign me up. I have people I would rather watch over some but to me anytime I can watch a hunting program its better than any alternative (except sports). About Terry Drury shooting a young buck in Illinios I dont buy the crap that he needed to shoot it for the footage. The Drury's team is very large and they have more than enough options to throw together some footage of hunts. I am not saying I cant get enough of the Drury outdoors publications but they seem to do lots of pre-scouting, video, trail cams, etc. etc. I think there show is informative. Nobody forces you to watch any show. Everyone will have there favorites but to put down these guys who put alot of affort to put a quality show together is crap. Anyone would take on more sponsors, more money and switch what they endorse if the companies are willing to show them the money. I have so much on my mind but I'm stopping there. I am just glad there are guys willing to take the chance to make videos so I can watch whatever. And so what if I like to watch Tiffany every once and awhile.

I don't usually post much either, but this one piqued my interest. There are certainly ups and downs to the hunting shows. Some guys certainly put forth the effort for what they shoot. The ones that I have no time for are the ones that show up at an outfitter, climb in a stand, shoot whatever walks by, and then try to tell preach hunting lessons just because they were the trigger man.

Anyway, another by-product of these hunting shows are the guys that seem to take the field nowadays thinking they are experts just because they watched videos all summer. I have to laugh when I hear these guys brag about how many 150" deer they let walk by every year, when in all honestly the really have never shot anything decent anyway. I honestly don't think the majority of deer hunters in Iowa realize just what it takes for a deer to grow 150" or more of antlers. A couple problems I see here with most videos- 1.) Videos give too many average deerhunters an unrealistic picture of what deer hunting is like in the "real world". 2.) Way too much emphasis on gear and products rather than woods smarts, hard work, and persistence. 3.) They focus way to much on the kill rather than the journey, which to me is why I bowhunt. Ok, just had the get all that off my chest- I feel better now.

I've never seen a Drury or Tiffany or (_______ insert name here) video so I really can't comment.:way:

A couple problems I see here with most videos- 1.) Videos give too many average deerhunters an unrealistic picture of what deer hunting is like in the "real world". 2.) Way too much emphasis on gear and products rather than woods smarts, hard work, and persistence. 3.) They focus way to much on the kill rather than the journey, which to me is why I bowhunt.

Couldn't agree more...

Good points 180 and PointBlank...maybe the demise of hunting videos is the early signs that the fad of bowhunting is starting to fade. OMG, where will I get my next scent elimination suit from?

If we are lucky, buying 10 acres and building a $350,000 house on it will go with it.

I don't watch many, but I have enjoyed a few episodes of Midwest Whitetail. Apparently many people do like the videos though, otherwise there wouldn't be such a demand for them. Remember the 100 yd. long line at the deer classic to get a pic with Lee & Tiffany? How many of you were in that line? If you were you shouldn't be bashing the hunting show industry.

I was not in line.

Last edited:
I tend to think of myself as a connoisseur of hunting shows/films. Im sure many of you are the same way. I have always enjoyed watching hunting shows, however thats starting to change. The more of them I watch the more I have a dislike for most of them. To start with Im extremely biased becuase of my love to archery hunt so I dont watch slug/rifle hunting, and its a rare if I actually watch blackpower.
I have to agree with the Pointblank's comment made about: Videos give too many average deerhunters an unrealistic picture of what deer hunting is like in the "real world".
As far as them pushing thier sponsors and emphasis being put on the brand of gear. Its about the money we all know it, its advertising there's no getting around it. Same thing about watching a nascar race. Its about the $.

Im still a fan of the hunt and the "average" person doing what it takes. There is only a few hunting shows, I really watch anymore. Midwest Whitetail and LoneWolf TV are probably the main two. The reason being is becuase the show is MORE about the "hunt" and what it took to get to that point than the actual kill. The prestory is where its at. Lonewolf TV usually has a intro story about the hunter/area and deer involved. Midwest Whitetail is the same.

Maybe the smartest guy on this thread.....:drink1:
I have to qualify things a touch. I did watch the DVD that came with my DB blind and I also received "Primal Dreams" (Wensels) as a present. Also, I watch Midwest Whitetail and I watch hunting shows on the Versus cable channel. The Versus channel is part of our basic package, so I'm not paying extra to have it (nor would I). So I will watch "free" content, but as far as buying videos to watch, I won't. I've dropped subscriptions to all hunting magazines, most were dominated by ads anyways. I doubt I'll renew my IW PMA membership when it comes due.

I am as hard-core of hunter as they come- in my teenage years I loved the videos. I quit YEARS ago when the videos got SO cheesy it was unbearable AND when I came home from hunting to watch a videos that showed 5 deer getting shot that I passed that same day. I'm supposed to be the "amateur" and the are supposed to be the "pros"- FAR from the case.

The videos have turned into a big joke- cheesy guys, young bucks getting SLAYED for video purpose OR guys who give advice to you and me BECAUSE they are successful on their 3,000 acre hunting farm. Turned into a big waste of time.

NOW- we turn on something like Discovery Channel, UFC, movies, the Office (tv show) or something else. The hunting video industry needs a major reform.
Man, I hear ya. We watch UFC and Discovery and these hunting shows are just so dumb I just get nothing out of them. Let's see, the UFC or a cheesy Scentlok sponsored hunt...hmmmm...no brainer here.

I tend to think of myself as a connoisseur of hunting shows/films. Im sure many of you are the same way. I have always enjoyed watching hunting shows, however thats starting to change. The more of them I watch the more I have a dislike for most of them. To start with Im extremely biased becuase of my love to archery hunt so I dont watch slug/rifle hunting, and its a rare if I actually watch blackpower.
I have to agree with the Pointblank's comment made about: Videos give too many average deerhunters an unrealistic picture of what deer hunting is like in the "real world".
As far as them pushing thier sponsors and emphasis being put on the brand of gear. Its about the money we all know it, its advertising there's no getting around it. Same thing about watching a nascar race. Its about the $.

Im still a fan of the hunt and the "average" person doing what it takes. There is only a few hunting shows, I really watch anymore. Midwest Whitetail and LoneWolf TV are probably the main two. The reason being is becuase the show is MORE about the "hunt" and what it took to get to that point than the actual kill. The prestory is where its at. Lonewolf TV usually has a intro story about the hunter/area and deer involved. Midwest Whitetail is the same.
I am with you...if there are guns, it DEFINITELY gets changed...boring!!

I'm sure I'll get toasted for this one, but I think the whole video thing that everyone is trying to do has really taken the fun out of what hunting is suppose to be. I don't even run trail cams any more becuase I think it takes away from the fun. To me, not know what is out there and the initial shock of seeing a buck you really like is what makes hunting so fun. The years that I ran the cameras, I was always letting good deer walk because of that one buck I was getting pictures of. It wasn't fun any more.

And, since I'm way up on my soap box now, i'll tell you another thing that has really started irritating the heck out of me this year, and that's all this "hit list" talk. I'm getting so tired of everyone talking about their "hit list" and coming up with such retarded names for deer just so they can say..."Lucky Bullwinkle G2 buck is on my hit list". If you can't tell, I think the "hit list" thing is stupid. Just go out and hunt like you did when you first started years ago. I'll guarantee you'll have alot more fun. Get back to the way it was meant to be done! Ok, I need feel better now. I need a beer!
I agree!!! I've never ran trail cams and never will. I also will never use an ATV to go to my stand, drag a deer out, or aid in my hunt.

I don't usually post much either, but this one piqued my interest. There are certainly ups and downs to the hunting shows. Some guys certainly put forth the effort for what they shoot. The ones that I have no time for are the ones that show up at an outfitter, climb in a stand, shoot whatever walks by, and then try to tell preach hunting lessons just because they were the trigger man.

Anyway, another by-product of these hunting shows are the guys that seem to take the field nowadays thinking they are experts just because they watched videos all summer. I have to laugh when I hear these guys brag about how many 150" deer they let walk by every year, when in all honestly the really have never shot anything decent anyway. I honestly don't think the majority of deer hunters in Iowa realize just what it takes for a deer to grow 150" or more of antlers. A couple problems I see here with most videos- 1.) Videos give too many average deerhunters an unrealistic picture of what deer hunting is like in the "real world". 2.) Way too much emphasis on gear and products rather than woods smarts, hard work, and persistence. 3.) They focus way to much on the kill rather than the journey, which to me is why I bowhunt. Ok, just had the get all that off my chest- I feel better now.
Good post:drink2:

I didn't even mention one of the the last shows, showed a guy dropping a young deer with a herd of cows ~300 yards directly behind the the buck. I was yelling "cows, cows cows" at the TV when the smoke rolled.... :(

Top Bottom