Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

236" buck killed by Pleasantville taken by DNR?

Breaking a law is breaking a law, but there are different degrees . Does everyone take a watch out and check every minute to make sure when hours are up? To me,,out shinning after dark, and hunting is worse than hunitng 5 minutes after hunting hrs. Saw some doing that last gun season.I know, I know,,if first it is 5 minutes then, someone will try 10, then an hr,etc. I once saw a pickup full of guys rifle shoot a buck at 4 in the afternoon, out of the truck, during bow season, in MI. Now that,,,is poaching! Shooting hrs are no problem with me. I hate hunting evenings, fading light,,my eyes are bad,, and I hate looking for blood in the dark.Rarely hunt evenings. Usually spook deer coming out , gettin down,too. Mornings,,usually cannot see a thing, until "Legal" shooting hrs anyway. And I have my own rules. I will not risk a shot when I cannot see good.

Kind of like saying I.was going 3 MPH over the speed limit, or 45 MPH over the speed limit.

I agree, breaking the law is breaking the law and if you get caught doing so, you just have to live with it rather it be a serious offense or a minor offense.

Ill not pass judgement.

Depends on the officer too. Some, especially young go getters, I have met,want to get someone for any offense they can come up with. I had one officer say,he was sure he could find something on the books,to snag anyone he met. Others use discretion and some common sense.

If the last story turns out to be true, I'm curious how he got caught? They can't convict you by word of mouth! And if they apparently didn't catch him at the time of the harvest....kinda makes me think he admitted it?

I agree with above on degrees. A guy who killed a buck outta a stand with a bow but tags wrong, shoots 10 mins after legal hours- illegal obviously but not an aggregious offense. VS
A guy who continually shoots bucks with rifles out his car window with spotlight, etc. sorry- there's just no comparison. Why I've said the best thing Iowa could do with it's limited CO time is focus on worst offenders with robo bucks!!!

Exactly! I had 6 DNR, and I repeat 6 come to my house do a full search warrant, treat my family like crap over a picture they found on the Internet! They took 3500 dollars in my hunting gear wrote me 3000 dollars in citations because they thought I shot 1 more turkey than I had a tag for(with a bow). So you are telling me I hunt the ground my family owns and pays taxes on, carry 60 ponds of gear 1 mile just to set up on turkeys I've got up at 4 in the morning the past 4 weekends to scout, and I'm a poacher! I've realized like everything else with our government, it doesn't pay to work hard for something. Just wake up at noon grab the 243 and shoot one.

I'm also glad to let you know it went to court and the district attorney laughed and said WTF. I got all my gear back and the state probably lost 10000 in payroll and court cost. I was also an avid member in pheasants forever, whitetails unlimited, and the wild turkey federation but now I figured if they got the money to waste on this, they don't need any help.

Bowtech84 said:
I'm also glad to let you know it went to court and the district attorney laughed and said WTF. I got all my gear back and the state probably lost 10000 in payroll and court cost. I was also an avid member in pheasants forever, whitetails unlimited, and the wild turkey federation but now I figured if they got the money to waste on this, they don't need any help.

So did you shoot an extra turkey?

Sent from my iPhone using IW

What did any of those groups "waste" their money on? As a Treasurer for 1, I can't recall writing checks for anyones payroll. I'm sorry we lost your support, but I can't see what any of the groups had to do with your situation.

Exactly! I had 6 DNR, and I repeat 6 come to my house do a full search warrant, treat my family like crap over a picture they found on the Internet! They took 3500 dollars in my hunting gear wrote me 3000 dollars in citations because they thought I shot 1 more turkey than I had a tag for(with a bow).
This seems to be a little extreme. Was this your first alleged offense?

I think mr treasurer if you read what the guy said and since you quoted it I would think you did. He is saying the STATE spent the money on payroll. He only said that he was a member of those groups.

Thinkin Rut said:
This seems to be a little extreme. Was this your first alleged offense?

Yes first alleged offense. It was ridiculous. All it would have taken was a phone call or even just show up and ask to clear things up, but they went swat tactical showed up at 7 in the morning while I was out of town for work, tore through the house found the pic on the computer, wouldn't even tell anyone what they were looking for. Kept telling my family just remember he put you in this situation not us. When they left all they took for evidence was a copy of the picture. They took 2 guns, a bow, a blind, a turkey vest with all my calls and some other misc. hunting stuff. Then i didnt hear from them for two weeks. When they finally called me back they told me to meet them at the state trooper station. I showed up there and to say they were rude would be an understatement. I kept asking what evidence do you have that makes you think i did this and all they would say is we will see you in court. They wrote me 12 citations and i had my day in court. The DA went through the evidence and couldnt believe it. Everything was dismissed and they gave them 10 days to give me my stuff back. Ya so when the DNR says they are broke I don't feel sorry for them.

Maybe I misunderstood. The quote, "I figured if they got the money to waste on this, they don't need any help", to me, implies that those groups were putting $$$ towards his case. He says that because of this, he will not support those groups. If that is not what he implied, then yes, I'm missing something. Either way, I'm sorry that we lost his support.

Last edited:
thick said:
You guys make some good points. I reacted too quickly out of anger, almost like watching a bully picking on your friend.

There is some truth to many of the statements posted here, but not much.

It was a 25 yard pass thru shot. The animal showed up late as he was waiting for other deer to leave the field before climbing down. It would have been hard for anyone to just let it pass even though it was past legal light. Some may have done it differently. No lights were used, just a single arrow.

Someone tipped law enforcement, they investigated, wrote him a small fine ($195) and took the rack.

It is now known that the same officer hunts land owned by the neighbor. I will let you draw your own conclusion on that.

I am not a blogger, tweeter, or face booker. So this whole mess of misinformation set me off.

I personally know a Missouri state trooper who shot two bobcats illegally.... And has them mounted in his living room. It helps to know people when you want to get away with something I guess.
I know a ranger who lost his house to foreclosure. Isnt it illegal not to make your house payments. I always thought so.
The point is, they aren't perfect either. And I imagine there is more at stake than anybody ever realizes.

The deer wasn't maliciously poached and sold on the black market.

I still don't understand why this is called the information age when many are so motivated to lead you astray.

I am obviously close to the source. I didn't use 'I heard' in any part of this post.

Good luck to you, for I fear that may you ever mis-step, and be subject to your own judgement.

I think there's a lot of BS in this

Top Bottom