Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ozonics review- 2 hunts, 26 deer

Yes, it is the HR-200. Of the 26 deer thus far, many have been mature and younger deer and everything in between. I've spent YEARS trying different things for scent "control", "covering", "limiting", "reducing", "eliminating", etc. I'll try new things tomorrow and I feel I have a formula put together now that works "well" for me. NOTHING is 100% and I'll say that FOREVER but again, I think different things help. For example....
I let all my stuff hang dry outside for DAYS after being washed in scent free. I'll pack them in a bin with cedars, pine or whatever (similar to Indians using foliage or smoke cover). I shower with scent free, brush teeth with baking soda & use some scent eliminating stuff. My towels, washer/dryer & vehicle are also as "scent free" as POSSIBLE. I believe my efforts absolutely help though.

OK, trying TONS & I mean TONS of different things..... I have had TONS of mature deer downwind of me without being winded. That's using all sorts of things. I actually have video compiled from several years of mature deer downwind of me that didn't bust- does and bucks. I just video to keep a "log" of what deer I see and pass for my own personal enjoyment. I've been fortunate enough to have permission on some farms that do have lots of pressure like yours (and very small places where I have to see a ton of deer before I finally catch up with a mature buck, 5.5+) and recently to have my own farm which also has pressure around it (less, yes). Every METHOD of scent "control" I've used I have video of deer downwind not getting me. Especially bucks during the rut. I've also had occasions where I get NAILED, don't get me wrong! I've had MANY occasions where I was running LATE (let's say I get back from work late & want to hunt) where I get NO shower, I STINK OR I'm just SLOPPY because I'm in a hurry..... I could show you VIDEO of hunting while I STUNK because I sweat my butt off getting to stand with NO scent control..... Then, I have deer down-wind (ON VIDEO) that do NOT bust me, walk right through my scent lane- NOTHING, they keep walking. I also have day where I do it all right and get NAILED. Most of us know how thermals effect scent & often scent can go UP in the air BUT let's dis-regard that. I've had HUNDREDS, actually THOUSANDS of occasions over the years of deer downwind and not getting busted (and the converse). So, if I coincidentally stepped in dog crap every time I went out and video'd deer NOT busting me- does that mean DOG CRAP works for scent control???? See what I mean? And that's not saying yes or no to Ozonics. It's just, I've seen (when I used to watch a lot of videos) probably HUNDREDS of guys on video say "geesh, the Scent Blocker saved me again, see that deer downwind, I owe it to the Scent Blocker". I remember Jay Gregory used to be endorsed by DEAD DOWN WIND & used to say "Dead Down Wind" did it's job again and kept me from being smelled. Or Scent Away or the Wafers or Scent Lock or Carbon Blast or Gumoflauge, etc, etc. And I'm NOT saying some of those don't work, not making that statement. I've just seen every product get thrown out as the most effective, end-all-be-all to why they had a deer down-wind and not get busted. Never ends on ANY product you see.

And yes, I do think it's FAR easier to get by not busting a 1.5-3.5 year old deer vs a 6.5. It's not even in the same UNIVERSE of difficulty. I could be Gargling Bacon Grease, eating my 10 lbs of frank & beans (or whatever Blake lives on), drinking a 5th of peppermint schnaps, while playing the fiddle in my treestand and not spook a lot of young deer.

I am NOT making an absolute claim here that Ozonics doesn't work. I have and AM giving it a fair trial and following up & posting the results. I would LOVE to hear from some folks as well who are trying it for the 1st time with no motive- yes or no - on whether it works or not. I'll give it a 3rd whirl shortly. If I'm not using it right, I sure want to know. If it works, great- folks can say yes or no whether it's right for them BUT I simply want a fair trial on whether it works for ME, in my hunts, on deer that I have walk by me. For the 1st 26 deer that have walked by me, it has not worked on a single one (which is odd because I've always been able to fool SOME deer no matter what I do) BUT that's not a conclusion or even close to some scientific claim. Got my video camera all set up and we'll see what round 3 brings. Good luck to all!!

I find this post very interesting, thanks for letting us in on your test sligh! I don't have any opinion on Ozonics at this point other than I cannot fathom dragging more stuff into the woods on the hunts where I pack the stand in.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I took out the video cam. Had a few deer in the distance take off. I just threw in the towel. I have it at home w/3 total batteries I am going to try and get a full refund for all. Personally- it just didn't work for me and personally, in my experience it made it worse. I went back to my old methods of sprays, showering, etc and I have much better success. Just my experience. will update with money back guarantee return process.

The only thing I know after reading these posts is that I'll stick with what I'm doing cause the only day I had the wind in my favor was the day I shot my deer.I seen a lot of deer all year and the majority of them were down wind of me. Some at 80yards but must within my max shooting distance of 40yards and the only deer i had blow on me all year was a doe one afternoon when I was walking into my stand. That same evening I had 15 doe walk directly down wind of me and not one acted as if anything was out of the ordinary. Scent Away soaps. Keeping up with keeping clothes scent free by washing regularly. Spraying down each layer of clothing. Scent blocker suit and rubber boots are my best investments as I had more deer and at closer ranges this year compared to any other year. Just my opinion.

Please keep us updated with how the refund process goes Skip, I am very interested in how easy the deal is to go through.

Are you considering one of these units Kaare? Just wondering why the interest. Stirring the pot perhaps? :grin:

Just put the wind in your favor....it's free. I wouldn't use it just for the simple reason that I refuse to carry anymore crap into the woods with me.

I fired up my Cabela's bucks and bought one in September. I gave it a thorough test on my rut hunt in Northern MO and was not impressed. I didn't expect miracles but thought it would give me an edge in certain situations which it did not. I sent mine back for a refund last week.

I don't see me ever buying one. With the low battery life and everything.

The best thing you can do is fresh scent free shower, fresh scent free clothes and equipement, lastly playing the wind................

I'm not a professional hunter (not sure if there really are any?), but I've shot a multiple mature bucks over the past 10 years and there is no replacement for being scent free as possible and playing the wind.......

Anyone heard about the WKP crew putting any down. By now everyone on the staff should have a 170 down if they were using Ozonics. And I better not see any of them say "we got winded" on their dvd

What I find interesting is someone asked earlier if there were others who had tried this product (of course I was wondering the same thing), and of those who have tried it, both are trying to get their money back. One thing I have found interesting in my 30+ years of bowhunting about bowhunters...there are many who will try absolutely anything...and it is how we have new inovations and new products (drop away rests, full captured rests, expandable broadheads, etc...). When this came out and found it's way into the modern tv marketing I knew that bowhunters, no salesman, would eventually make or break this product. Does anyone remember the string tied to the arrow to make recovering game easier?!?! Hmmm, wonder whatever happened to that one?!?! Let's keep each other informed, and keep the industry honest!!!

I had a big doe and fawns dead down wind of me. I was eating pork cracklins and drinking gatorade. I had no scent elimination stuff on what so ever. They never winded me.

arrow flinger

Just goes to show that wind and thermals are the real deal maker or breaker. The magic box is just there, and works if the thermals are right. I'm guessing it doesn't work as well if they aren't. My uncle once had a 172 inch buck come in a and make a scrape down wind of his stand. His camo jacket hangs in his kitchen and he uses no scent control at all. He had just mashed out a cigarette-butt and flicked it on the ground then urinated out of the tree. Beer breath was probably a factor as well. :grin: He missed the first shot and the buck stood around for him to make true on the second shot. Just goes to show that sometimes you can get away with anything, other times you can get away with nothing. I see it happen every year.

Called in today. Was greeted pleasantly and I explained I wanted to return it. Quickly was given an ra # and shipping address. I didn't realize it but I had 590 into the unit and 2 extra batteries. I was told I will have a refund within 2-3 weeks. I will for sure report back. If all goes smoothly, absolutely could say it was a true/fair $ back guarantee. We'll see, check in hand will b the conclusion 4 me though.

Maybe a little background music would of helped,,,like Firstbase by BabeRuth! joking,,anyone remember that band?? Actually out fishing one time, everytime we turned a boombox off we had with the fish would stop biting!! lol Who Knows!! we figured it was the vibration in the boat that attracted them!

Last edited:
They work - and I've had more than 1 Iowawhitetail guy tell me that they tried them, and they worked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom