Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunt report / Rut report

Due to business conditions I had to cancel tonight hunt. The action was intense this AM what a difference a day can make. Lots of deer are taking dirt naps so hunt as much as time allows.
I’ll be back at it Monday

Very disappointing day for me, saw 2 young bucks and 1 turkey that's it! I thought it would be a great day I'm confused? Gonna keep hitting it hard though hasn't cracked open yet NE IA. Good luck fellow bow hunters!!!

I prefer, "I've got an eye problem, I just can't see myself working."
I checked with a friend of mine who is a nurse at the VA in Des Moines. Sure enough, there is a clinical name for this diagnosis when you can't see your ass going to work. It's called anal glaucoma.

Reactions: Oak
I checked with a friend of mine who is a nurse at the VA in Des Moines. Sure enough, there is a clinical name for this diagnosis when you can't see your ass going to work. It's called anal glaucoma.
Yesterday I saw lots of movement from a lot of dinks just passing thru. Haven’t seen any chasing yet at all. The weather kinda sucked yesterday with being overcast and very little wind.

Central Iowa outside Des Moines, yesterday saw several bucks including the same big 8 that I had bed down by me last week do the same thing...apparently I did a really bad job trimming lanes. He was just 30 yards bedded with a doe. Never had shot opportunity. Had a smaller 8 bed with a doe by me later in the afternoon. Couple other small bucks out too.

Today, nothing so far, north wind is not ideal for this stand. Might need to get down

Not enough clothes on perched in a tree at top of open ridge. Saw small buck chasing does and then at 9:00 a 140ish 10 pt joined the group. Only chased for a little while then wandered off. Haven't seen nothing big so far this year. West Central Iowa.

I have a feeling it's going to stay like this. Very hit or miss. It's an odd year. Any other of the past 4 years we would be saying heat was suppressing activity. Obviously that's not the case. Seems like it will be a trickle rut, or maybe this is just the norm going forward. I have had a few afternoons seeing bucks cruising all over. Dead mornings. Now saw several bucks cruising early then dead all day. They are clearly locked down here, have seen several mature bucks bedded with does out in strange places. NE iowa

Didn't see a thing all afternoon. Last 20 minutes of light had 4 does come into the bean field to feed. 5 minutes later a mature buck has his nose to the ground and runs to one of the does and chases her all over.
Hunted all weekend and didn't see much rut activity than this. I think it's just kicking off.

Saturday had some excitement by climbing into my stand with a mature buck with a doe standing at 35 yards. I felt ultra stealthy but truth be told they were just distracted. I would've taken him but he broke off one side. Seen a lot of deer and had a smaller buck at 7 yards. Unfortunately the farmer drove the entire perimeter checking fence which turned an awesome sit dead until sunset when I had another little flurry. Still laid eyes on 6 bucks. Sunday night surprised me with how slow it was. Seen 12 deer but in a spot I can see a LONG ways from so it wasn't all that active of a sit.

11/5 saw two does and one little buck. Sat from 630 to 11. 11/6 saw 6 does and 1 little buck chasing one of the does. Seems odd seeing one little buck and that many does all by themselves? Sat from 630 to 11. Wright county

11/5 saw two does and one little buck. Sat from 630 to 11. 11/6 saw 6 does and 1 little buck chasing one of the does. Seems odd seeing one little buck and that many does all by themselves? Sat from 630 to 11. Wright county

Good sit this morning. Was covered in bucks (12 I believe) until I had to climb down at 9.

This evening the deer were active as well. Think I seen 10 (4 bucks) but the biggest was a 120" 8pt following a doe.

South central iowa. I've seen alot of deer movement the last two days and all hours of the day. Oldest deer have been 3...except for a 5yr old the walked out of doe bedding and then back in. Younger bucks have been circling bedding looking for scraps...but won't go in

Top Bottom