Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

I just ordered some dwarf chinkapin oak acorns from advantage forestry. Just an FYI they have some ready to ship...

Do you guys normally put dco seedlings in tree tubes?

I just ordered some dwarf chinkapin oak acorns from advantage forestry. Just an FYI they have some ready to ship...

Do you guys normally put dco seedlings in tree tubes?

We tube as many as we can afford too and they respond very well !

Keep us posted on how your DCO's do for you...:way:

acorns

Bumper crop of acorns in many parts of the US, and I have the fewest that I have ever seen? Anyone else really short on acorns this year?

Bumper crop of acorns in many parts of the US, and I have the fewest that I have ever seen? Anyone else really short on acorns this year?

Short on white oak acorns, but heavy on most all the reds I checked. I could hear the acorns raining down out of those trees yesterday. The white oaks had bumper crops the past 2 years so I am not suprised that there are fewer this year anyways.

Bur-Gambel Hybrid Oak

I just planted a bunch of Bur-Gambel oaks from the U of Idaho nursery. Very nice trees! They just might be the ticket (cold tolerant, drought tolerant, early acorns, fast growth...) I hope they live up to the description.

I just planted a bunch of Bur-Gambel oaks from the U of Idaho nursery. Very nice trees! They just might be the ticket (cold tolerant, drought tolerant, early acorns, fast growth...) I hope they live up to the description.

I think you'll be happy with them! They grow even faster in tubes if you can tube a few of them...:way:

oaks

I think you'll be happy with them! They grow even faster in tubes if you can tube a few of them...:way:

Put a tube or a cage on every one, simply cannot afford to lose those seedlings. I like the big root plug, nice and colorful! Anyone in zone 3 who would like to try an alternative to white or red oak should give these a try.

Dbltree: What kind of growth have you had on your bur-gambels, and thanks for the tip on that!

Put a tube or a cage on every one, simply cannot afford to lose those seedlings. I like the big root plug, nice and colorful! Anyone in zone 3 who would like to try an alternative to white or red oak should give these a try.

Dbltree: What kind of growth have you had on your bur-gambels, and thanks for the tip on that!

They vary of course but some in tubes are 2-3' high already but we have some DCO's that are poking out the top of the tube too! :way:

Cheeze Whiz! These Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks are growing like mad!

IMG_0010.jpg

I love the deep rich healthy color of the leaves on trees growing in these tubes! DCO's are capable of producing acorns in as little as 2-3 years

From Advantage Forestry...

The dwarf chinkapin oak, Quercus prinoides, produces acorns at 2-3 years old. It is native to most of the eastern half of the United States but grows as far west as Nebraska and as far north as New York state. Acorns can form on trees that are only 2 to 3 feet tall. Deer and turkey love the acorns, as they are low in bitter tannins. The dwarf chinkapin is a white oak and has a beautiful fall color that is often red to blaze orange. It only grows to about 15 feet in height. It does well in full sun to part shade and tolerates alkaline soils well. In many states it is rare.

Chinkapin oak, Quercus muelenbergii, is a full size white oak. It also produces acorns at an early age, about 5 years old, and when it gets older it often produces a bumper crop. It is native to the southern and northern United States. It grows well on poor, rocky soils and limestone outcroppings but also performs well in rich bottomlands. When mature, it has a scaly attractive bark with a rounded canopy. I’ve heard from many hunters that its acorns are a favorite of the white tail deer.

From True Nature Farms:

Dwarf Chinkapin Oak, Quercus prinoides (white oak
group)

This is a shrub or small tree of the eastern USA that
often forms thickets. Prolific and dependable annual
producer of acorns prized by wildlife. Tolerates poor
soils well and has a nice deep red fall color on our
soils here. These are grown from seed collected in
central Iowa. Zone 4.

From Oikos Tree Crops

Dwarf Chinkapin Oak — Quercus prinoides
ECOS Rare Native Shrub Oak
Dwarf Chinkapin is an obscure oak found in scattered populations throughout the Midwest and Northeast. It is the only oak in this area that produces runners. It is not uncommon to see small 3-4 ft. trees loaded with acorns. Trees in our orchard have fruited when 2 ft. tall. Slow growing, but extremely drought tolerant. Our seed trees were produced using wild collected seed from Nebraska found in a wide open windswept area-perfect for dwarf chinkapin oak. Acorns ripen in August and sprout quickly. Because they ripen in clusters at the end of the branches birds take note and they often fly off with the crop. Especially attractive to turkey. Height from 6-15 ft. tall with equal width. Often multi-trunked. Non-hybrid true to type seedlings.

The tree pictured came from Oikos Tree Crops in MI and I think it's important to buy stock that will be adapted and hardy to the area they'll be planted in. Advantage is in Alabama and it's not clear yet how that stock will do in northern areas. Oikos is using stock from Nebraska and True Nature is using stock from northern Iowa so those are things to consider when ordering DCO seedlings or acorns.

Advantage Forestry

True Nature Farms

Oikos Tree Crops

Several friends have sent me DCO acorns from several different states so eventually I hope to have some great genetic diversity on my farm and perhaps across SE Iowa someday... :way:

Do I remember reading that you guys won't plant your acorns in rootmakers this time of the year?

Nope cause they have to be protected all winter long or the roots will die with the severe winters. If you can keep them protected, then go for it, but that would be a pile of work. They go in rootmakers the following spring after being stored in the fridge all winter in damp peat.

Nope cause they have to be protected all winter long or the roots will die with the severe winters. If you can keep them protected, then go for it, but that would be a pile of work. They go in rootmakers the following spring after being stored in the fridge all winter in damp peat.

How long do they actually stay in the rootmakers? I was planning on putting the acorns in the trays and leaving them in my basement in front of a south facing window until spring when I plant them on the farm...

How long do they actually stay in the rootmakers? I was planning on putting the acorns in the trays and leaving them in my basement in front of a south facing window until spring when I plant them on the farm...

I started mine in March, moved them outside in April and after that planting is optional at any time. I planted some every month from May through September...:way:

Because they need to be outside in the wind to develop strong trunks or else it requires the use of fans to imitate mother nature.

White oaks do not grow in the fall...they merely germinate and then cold weather "stores" them until spring.

A fridge imitates the same thing...;)

I would say a few months is usually how long they will last in the trays. It is much easier to just wait till spring and plant them in rootmakers then IMO. Just make sure you protect them from the squirrels they can find them in one day and make quick work of even 100.

Dumb question from a beginner, but the polyethylene bags for storage, just a ziploc or something fancier than that?

Top Bottom