Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

'Bonker scores - PICS are UP

Re: The 'Bonker scores... BIG.

pictures from pre turkey season don't count.
cool.gif

Patience please.

I have about an hours worth of real work to do before I can START on the story. Damn I hate when work, in this case voluteer work, gets in the way of fun.

I'll get something up (?!?) tonight.

Muddy, there is too such a thing as ground shrinkage in turkeys.

The 'Bonker

Ground shrinkage eh? Maybe if you had shot him in the head then he'd still have about 4 pounds of back feathers on him!
cool.gif

Re: 'Bonker scores... BIG.

OK, here is the short version of the story. The long version may end up in the IBA Bowhunter, or maybe the PMA section. I’ve think people should pay for the privilege of laughing at me. Plus, the story may not be over; I think I qualify for another tag.

Muddy offered to take me for an afternoon hunt on some private ground that he said was hot. He stopped short of guaranteeing a bird, but he said we should at least see plenty of ‘em. He set the blind up next to a cedar tree. We climbed in at about 1600. About 1630 he spotted three hens, two of them with beards, coming in behind us. They wondered around for awhile and disappeared. Muddy looked out back again about 1700 and spotted three toms up the hill about 100 yards away. We quickly closed the openings in the front of the blind and repositioned my seat. He started calling but the toms stayed up the hill. One was strutting and the other two were just walking around. Muddy called and called but they would not move. By 1715 I had given up and relaxed. The toms weren’t gonna come any closer. I was just enjoying the show they were putting on and listening to Muddy swear at them. All of a sudden Muddy shouts, actually it was a whisper but it was very loud in the blind, “GET YOUR GUN UP!” “Uhhhh why? They are too far away”. We had closed the blind in front of me so only Muddy could see to our left. “GET YOUR GUN UP, HE’S RIGHT THERE” “WHERE” “RIGHT THERE” as Muddy points to my left. I move forward and spot a turkey about 5 FEET from the blind. I try to poke my barrel out the slit and it hits the fabric. “SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT” is all I hear, I get the barrel out of the blind and the turkey is moving slowly straight away from us, about ten yards out. I see Muddy sticking his fingers in his ears. I put the bead in the center of his back, the turkey, not Muddy. I wanted a dead bird so I wasn’t gonna risk a head shot at this distance because with a tight pattern I’da missed for sure. Bead on the back, gun tight against my shoulder, don’t anticipate the pain, just squeeze the trigger, BOOM! Muddy unplugged his ears and said “Jebus ‘Bonker, I think you got him” as we watched the feathers float gently to the ground. The gobbler didn’t even flop. It was 1730. My first turkey lay dead about 10 yards from the blind. It happened so fast I didn’t have a chance to get excited.

We went out to check out the bird. Muddy was lookin it over and I heard him call me a name that brought my ancestry into question, he had found that the gobbler had three beards.

Tale of the tape: Spurs, both 1 1/8”, beards, 4” 7 1/16” 9 ½” 21 ½ pounds on my cheap bathroom scale after the tail and beards had been removed.

Photos:

269turk_1-med.jpg

Beards:

269Turkey_016-med.jpg

Hooks:

269Turkey_027-med.jpg

The set up and distance:

269Turkey_010-med.jpg

The guide:

269Turkey_029-med.jpg

This is the hole in the gobblers back:

269Turkey_045-med.jpg

OK, I've got more photos but my connection is so slow tonight I've had enough.

Thanks again Muddy.

The 'Bonker

WHAT A BIRD!! Very Nice!!
waytogo.gif
That picture with the hand pulling the feathers back kinda looks fimilar!
wink.gif
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tale of the tape: Spurs, both 1 1/8”, beards, 4” 7 1/16” 9 ½” 21 ½ pounds on my cheap bathroom scale after the tail and beards had been removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heckuva bird Bonks...congrats to you and Muddy
waytogo.gif

Now your ready to tackle the wayyyy more intelligent southern Iowa gobblers....
wink.gif

BTW...the "big guy" is telling everyone down at the local tavern what he saw when he peeked in your tent...
bigshock.gif

And you didn't even reference to any of the lucky charms. Well done 'Bonker, glad to have helped out.
grin.gif

I'm from IL but do you all from Iowa wear that California camo? Congrats

Re: 'Bonker scores... BIG.

Ummmmm, turkey burger!
wink.gif
I never could figure out what to do with the backs.
grin.gif

Congrats Bonk! Glad for ya!

[ QUOTE ]
And you didn't even reference to any of the lucky charms. Well done 'Bonker, glad to have helped out.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta save something for the nonreadersdigest version. Don't worry Muddy, EVERYTHING will be in the novella version.

Does "Oh, theres two uh yuh innaer huh? Is them Ho-Hos I smells?" sound familliar?

Plus I ain't done huntin yet. There could be a chapter two. When I was tryin to clean the bird the gobblers were gobbling out back. They had a mocking tone in their gobble and if there is one thing I can't stand, it's bein mocked by an animal. I just have to read the regs again.

DSL is a dead slow line still this AM so I can't post more photos yet.

The 'Bonker

You guys are freakin hilarious, I feel that I've known you guys for a while just by reading your posts. One of these days I am gonna have to meet up with you guys. Great job on the bird!!

Holy twenty inches of beards, Bonker!!!
Way to go man!!!!!!

Quick ? Bonks
were you wearing that shirt in the blind???
thats an interesting Camo Pattern....
grin.gif

is it a Hawaiian brand or somthing tropical???
grin.gif

neat

Top Bottom