Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting Shows Hot Button

Field Service

I'm finding it harder and harder to sit down and watch these shows. I see 2 and 3 year old deer getting pounded. I realize that not everyone is holding out for something super mature or they only make it out a weekend or two a season and are ready to bag something for the freezer. I'm good with that. If it makes you happy, take it. However with all the QDM and all the education being thrown around on how to age deer, I would think that some of the shows would be setting a standard to back up all the talk. Is there that much pressure to put a hunt in the can, that they have to pound 2 year olds with 150 grains of pyrodex....

I know I'm really rambling, but it gets me wound up. I'd much rather see them state that buck has 2 years of growing to do, so I'm smoking the doe in front of him instead.....

What are the general thoughts around here. Am I way off, I have broad shoulders and can take it.... I'm to the point where I'd much rather watch 2 1/2 Men than the Outdoor Channel and get my BP up.

well said ! seem`s more and more of these show`s are resorting to this. got to get a buck kill on film tactic. my goal is a 150+ i have a 138 i past up some 150`s last year in hope`s of a crack at some bigger ones around. but couldn`t seal the deal. let alot of smaller buck`s walk , so there should be bigger one`s this year. so 150 or above is going down . these are small goals i set for myself, and the same for my hunting buddy. we figure it`s are QDM and someday well have a real booner.

No kills equal no show, that simple. It is a joke, especially those shows that preach the QDM like you mentioned. I used to like the old, original Dan Fitzgerald shows. He'd kill mostly does and you could tell he genuinely felt it was the trophy of a lifetime. There's no faking that emotion. Seems to be mostly about horn these days although there's still a few out there showing the doe harvests as though it's "worthy" material.

I am as hard-core of hunter as they come- in my teenage years I loved the videos. I quit YEARS ago when the videos got SO cheesy it was unbearable AND when I came home from hunting to watch a videos that showed 5 deer getting shot that I passed that same day. I'm supposed to be the "amateur" and the are supposed to be the "pros"- FAR from the case.

The videos have turned into a big joke- cheesy guys, young bucks getting SLAYED for video purpose OR guys who give advice to you and me BECAUSE they are successful on their 3,000 acre hunting farm. Turned into a big waste of time.

NOW- we turn on something like Discovery Channel, UFC, movies, the Office (tv show) or something else. The hunting video industry needs a major reform.

I see the same trend in a lot of the hunting dvd's. Yes, they kill giants as well, but it seems that they're under so much pressure to put something on film that a lot of times they settle. This especially floors me because so many of these hunts are being filmed with outfitters who are practicing QDM.

I see the same trend in a lot of the hunting dvd's. Yes, they kill giants as well, but it seems that they're under so much pressure to put something on film that a lot of times they settle. This especially floors me because so many of these hunts are being filmed with outfitters who are practicing QDM.

I hear ya... Its the Drurys that always talk about shooting mature deer. I watched Terry Drury shoot a 2 yr old in Illinois on this most recent dvd they put out. He would never do something like that in MO or IA. What a tool bag.

Yeah no kidding. I can't even stand watching them anymore it seems these days. Fact of the matter is, practice what you preach. The kisky videos and the whiteail freaks in general are still pretty decent in my opinion. I like how they show the trail cam photos of the bucks they have on the hit list and everything, but the rest of them are just going down hill.

I wont watch another Drury video. If you were to watch some of the first videos that came out they were really good in my opinion. Dream Season 1 is probably one of the first hunting videos I ever saw and it is still an amazing video but when I see some of the newer stuff that has come from the Drury boys it makes me sick. I absolutely hated the team against team stuff and it seems like the Drury boys have every kind of dream season equipment imaginable now like the bow, moon boots,...etc... It just seems to me like they are all about money anymore and commercializing hunting.

And another thing... I understand how it might not be the "quality footage" that they think they are getting when they go looking for a deer and videotape the track job and finding of the animal when they haven't found it already, but it really floors me when they act like they haven't found it already and it seems like every deer that they find in the grass is dead in a giant crop circle! I mean come on it makes me feel like they think I'm some kind of idiot that believes everything they say.

...steps off soap box...

What always gets to me is when they walk up to a deer & know the deers age by its body size or antler size instantly. There are many factors when judging a deers age. The two already mentioned are frail indicators that vary by nearly most anything a deer will encounter.

I agree...it is bogus that some young deer get put on the ground. But, as stated earlier, it is a business. And, without harvests, there are no vidoes. Doesn't make it right, but it is the way it is.

I agree...it is bogus that some young deer get put on the ground. But, as stated earlier, it is a business. And, without harvests, there are no vidoes. Doesn't make it right, but it is the way it is.

Well put, if you don't like them, don't watch them...that's the route I've gone.

C'Mmmmmeeeeeeer Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer! Sprinkle a little of this on the ground and they a come run'n! Don't start your season without C'Meer Deer.

:way: Gotta love how we're get'n portrayed!

HTML:
I watched Terry Drury shoot a 2 yr old in Illinois
on this most recent dvd they put out.
He would never do something like that in MO or IA.
What a tool bag.

Not on his own place anyway.

I don't fault any of these TV hunters for doing what they are doing but I don't have any interest in the shows that are really just a half hour advertising campain for thier sponsors.

Here are some examples of reasons I rarely watch the ODC:

Box blind hunting. Nuff said

Whispering to the camera after a gunshot.

Tiffany arm pumping like crazy after downing a nice deer then saying " YES, YES, YES. This is my 1st buck with my new Thompson Center ML".

Jackie Bushman.

Bill Winke has put together something more interesting IMO. Maybe because I know or have met several of the people on the video's I prolly have some more interest. When this weeks video catch's the pure emotion and excitement of an 8 year old boy and his dad, how can any of the TV hunters top that? I don't think they can.

I enjoy most of the shows i watch. But there are getting to be alot of bad shows out there. Everbody seem's to have a camera. Hell Thomas even has one!:grin:

personally I love the new hunting lingo, such as BBD or thats a shooter, or my personal favorite, "I harvested that deer", Its not a F*%#G plant, you killed it dumbass!!!! Oh well guess thats just the way its gonna be. I still enjoy watching the shows though, guess I just like to watch things die. As far as killing immature deer, I learned a long time ago that most people are all talk when it comes to what they kill, just try to lead by example and eventually others will follow. We have to remember that most of the people on tv are representing us as hunters and I think most of them are trying to do a good job.

Bill Winke's midwestwhitetail.com is about all I watch anymore. I like the relative newness of the content best.

I would rather watch Pretty Woman then any of that crap on TV and that is saying something. The only thing I can stand to watch is predator hunting.

Well I guess that maybe I am not so deprived( not depraved) as I thought because I don't have cable or sat tv. I don't really watch any of those videos any more either. I have been preaching about all this horn envey for years now. The deer, elk, and turkey hunting videos have pretty well ran their course I think. The one thing that used to stick out to me was that almost any deer was "the hunt or deer of a life time", and if that were the case there were some pretty boring life times! I think that some shows could still be educational, like some of the early ones were, by showing where and why the stand was put there and why they were either successful or unsuccessful. They could show how to score live deer, if that is all that is important to the hunter, by overlaying measurements on the live deer to show what a real 150 inch buck looks like.

I still like bird hunting and dog training videos and trout fishing educational ones, or how to tie flies videos. I imagine that if they gain in popularity, they to will go down hill from the pressure to get kills on tape. I know it is kind of sad, but I have gotten where I enjoy the you-tube clips more, because they are for the most part real people and real hunting that some one just happened to film.

Maybe Im in the minority here but I enjoy watching the Drurys and Primos boys, they seem to really have fun and enjoy the company of one another. I also watch The Crush, although I do dislike Tiffany saying awesome 40 times a show.

As far as hunters shooting 2-1/2 year old deer I believe that a hunter who follows the regulations can shoot any deer they want as long as its legal. Me personally I wouldnt shoot a basket rack 10 point because thats just me but I sure as hell am not going to put somebody down if they choose too.

I think that there are too many people out there that will put down somebody for shooting a 2-1/2 or 3-1/2 year old buck because thats not what they would do. Well my opinion is to all of you that feel that way go get bent! :moon:

I have no doubt that many of you are way better hunters than me but to say that everybody should wait year after year and pass up 130" after 130" deer to shoot a 4-1/2 or older buck is crazy especially when some of us dont have grade A ground to hunt.

Sorry for rambling Just my thoughts and please rip away. :thrwrck:

Top Bottom