Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA supports feeding baiting bill

No sir, You have your political parties mixed up, I want a return on my $, a democrat just wants to distribute the wealth and bail out and support programs like CPR and cash for clunkers. Like DOR stated, the landowner should take take care of the land and be a proper caretaker, without our tax dollars.

Come on now Don......... I'd like to take a peek at your past tax records and see just what kind of tax breaks you've been giving yourself and your business over the years........ I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I'd be willing to bet I could find a few lines here and there that didn't exactly "jive" with actual expenditures or profits. Before you go bashing government progarams, you should really take a look at the big picture here and make sure you aren't painted in any of the scenes.
BTW....... I appreciate your honest opinions and sometimes crude but true facts and figures.........this time I think you're being a duche bag.:D

If the land was made public hunting, they will pull their land out of the easy, no work, free paycheck they get, and farm it instead?
Btw, good stats you put up there.

Yes, most would, for the main fact that if everyone is going to be tromping around out there, it is doing no good for habitat use for them, and they just as well farm it and make money. Although it may be in a CRP program, the bank note on the purchase of the ground and taxes don't stop there either.

Another well known fact is, with the CRP program, there actually is quite a bit of work that goes into it. You have to burn, disc, and spray a certain % every year (one of the 3, not all 3), the farmer has to pay half the bill on everything (seed, chemical, burning, if he disc, he has to use his/her equipment), so its not just a hand out. Also, they must keep their CRP ground in "farmable condition", meaning that they can't just let it grow up to cedars and honey locust. In the past, many offices have overlooked that part, but they are tighting down on them (as they should, CRP is tillable ground set aside, but should be kept in a farmable condition).

There is a lot of out of pocket expense on that type of ground to the farmer, but he does get something in return, for letting his ground set 'idol' for years. That builds habitat for all wildlife. I am ok with my tax dollars going that direction.

Now, should be talk about welfare, wick, and Fema payments? :grin:

Sureshot, You seem upset over The DNR, IBA, and me. BTW, I killed two Pope and Youngs hunting two different states in 2008. The last two seasons I have went buck less, upon my own standards of 150" or bigger. I passed on two 140 class bucks this fall, and a couple 130's. I had a 160 class run a doe hard by me, and I stopped him at 10 yds, but he offered no ethical shot. All done on my own, spending over 130 hours in trees, and no cameras or bait(food plots). Just old school, time in the field, hunting.

Come on now Don......... I'd like to take a peek at your past tax records and see just what kind of tax breaks you've been giving yourself and your business over the years........ I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I'd be willing to bet I could find a few lines here and there that didn't exactly "jive" with actual expenditures or profits. Before you go bashing government progarams, you should really take a look at the big picture here and make sure you aren't painted in any of the scenes.
BTW....... I appreciate your honest opinions and sometimes crude but true facts and figures.........this time I think you're being a duche bag.:D
Don't tell me you got a new truck with Obama $.!! My Taxes are always done by the law, AND tax payers don't send me checks, so what in the world do my expenditures have to do with a welfare program? Lol, on the last statement. You sound like a 2nd grader dude.:moon:

Yes, most would, for the main fact that if everyone is going to be tromping around out there, it is doing no good for habitat use for them, and they just as well farm it and make money. Although it may be in a CRP program, the bank note on the purchase of the ground and taxes don't stop there either.

Another well known fact is, with the CRP program, there actually is quite a bit of work that goes into it. You have to burn, disc, and spray a certain % every year (one of the 3, not all 3), the farmer has to pay half the bill on everything (seed, chemical, burning, if he disc, he has to use his/her equipment), so its not just a hand out. Also, they must keep their CRP ground in "farmable condition", meaning that they can't just let it grow up to cedars and honey locust. In the past, many offices have overlooked that part, but they are tighting down on them (as they should, CRP is tillable ground set aside, but should be kept in a farmable condition).

There is a lot of out of pocket expense on that type of ground to the farmer, but he does get something in return, for letting his ground set 'idol' for years. That builds habitat for all wildlife. I am ok with my tax dollars going that direction.

Now, should be talk about welfare, wick, and Fema payments? :grin:
I appreciate your input and info. Thanks for posting and your opinion is respected. Good to see another adult on the site:way:

CRP is the last thing anybody should be bashing if they enjoy hunting, fishing, or wildlife viewing especially in this day and age were you can't find a weedy fence line or draw in the state. I can see complaining about tax payer based subsidies but not CRP

You're right HCH. The only reason I have ever killed a buck is because of my trail cameras.

So thats your secret huh? This whole time I thought you were shooting them with your bow, but you were throwin trail camera's at them and killing them. I knew there was something about you. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

:drink1: I'll buy the first one on the 26th.

Holy Mackinaw this one got crazy!!

Answer it reasonably and I would imagine it would stay up. Ya might even change me opinion

Gotta admit it, I read his post and agreed with what he was saying, as Randy obviously does. That whole "baiting...agriculture" by definition post was hard to rebut.

I can think of a few reasons to support CRP. It reduces soil erosion and therefor increases water quality, which effects all of us. It is better for the wildlife, and wildlife just doesnt stay on that ground they can move over fences, etc. Kind of like having a refuge, why do we have them if you can not benefit from it. It all provides a role in this monoculture we have of crop fields. Also it provides cover for non-game species of animals. That is a few and in my opinion some important issues. I have no problem paying for that -- heck it is better than paying for health care, food stamps, living assistance, ect isn't it?

Good post Blurman!

Since i personally dont hunt managed farms or hunt food plots i cant say much.but i know a guy that owns 400 acres,200 in crp and 150 acres in crop ground.And 50 acres of timber.If he plants 10% of his crp in foodplots the wildlife thrives on the extra food and all he is out is the cost of planting it,besides he cant harvest it anyways.If he plants 10% of his crop fields he loses his planting costs plus what he could have made on the harvesting the crops.Which i heard with beans right now could be 500.00 an acre.Thats a mighty expensive foodplot.Which one would you rather do.That being said all you really need to do is hunt next to these managed farms to reap the rewards.:D

Funny story but true. My dad left a half acre of 150bushel / acre corn standing for the deer this winter thinking it would be a slaughter late season. The end result was one doe fawn took refuge to it. Not one other deer has checked it out day or night. Talk about crazy and depressing how low the deer numbers are in our area. 5 years ago there would have been at least 5 running around it. I think in the 6 or 7 years he has owned it he has only taken 3 or 4 does off the place because the shotgun hunters rape the area pretty well.

Treat it like any other baited area, no hunting near it.
picture.php

picture.php

these are pics posted by HCH awhile back. :rolleyes:
You my friend have no credibility! Awefully quick to take advantage of a little standing corn and CRP. :D

Sureshot, You seem upset over The DNR, IBA, and me. BTW, I killed two Pope and Youngs hunting two different states in 2008. The last two seasons I have went buck less, upon my own standards of 150" or bigger. I passed on two 140 class bucks this fall, and a couple 130's. I had a 160 class run a doe hard by me, and I stopped him at 10 yds, but he offered no ethical shot. All done on my own, spending over 130 hours in trees, and no cameras or bait(food plots). Just old school, time in the field, hunting.

Old school eh? :D

Oh, and all of my friends that I know who never kill bucks say the same thing....."well, I passed up 2 140's" blah blah blah.

I gotta get going.....have a couple hundred pounds of shelled corn to put out and some cameras to hang.

Oh, and also.....below is a link to one of the 50plus pope and young whitetails that I have gotten pictures of over the years that I have never taken. Most of them I have never laid eyes on. I thought you would enjoy the pictures of him eating the corn HCH. Man, if only those dang trail cameras would've helped me out more, I may have gotten a shot at him.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31292

The cameras let me know whats there. I only kill the dumb ones. 95%+ (the smart ones) of my trail cam pictures of mature bucks are at night......doesn't matter how many pictures you get of them, you can't kill what you can't hunt, and you can't hunt at night.

Last edited:
And you know it isn't planted there for killing game, it is planted there to "increase the health of the herd", just like mineral licks. :rolleyes:

I would have to say with the amount of deer that I have killed on my food plots that it helps the health of the herd more.
Having not hunted the last two weekends I bet they are just enjoying the turnips and GFR helping them make it through this winter.
Just because there is a plot does not mean it is a place to kill deer. I have not killed a deer on one of my clover plots in 3 years.

As far as the mineral licks I strongly believe that they help with antler development. I know there is no documented research showing this but why then do deer farmers give their deer special feed and minerals to grow big racks. Not picking on you JNR JMHO.

Top Bottom