Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

party hunting again

B

bub

don't want u guys to think i am being a nuisance but had another question.
i have never party hunted but answer this...
say i and nine others go hunting (each with a tag), myself and a buddy shoot three deer each and another buddy shoots four deer(total of ten deer) - how do the other seven guys know not to shoot anymore deer? what if they do shoot more deer?? do they leave them lay or take them home illegally????
also how 'bout the guy that hunted bow season and early muzzleloader season - he wants to hunt with us during shotgun season so he buys a doe tag. now the rest of us have buck tags and this guy can legally shoot a buck (by party hunting rules)now say he shoots a great buck now someone else has to tag it with a buck tag. not that this is important but u have to be the person who takes the deer to enter it into Boone & Crocket. who lies and who braggs????

I'm not sure the guy with the doe tag can shoot anything but a doe....perhaps a call to the DNR would be in order. The senario you have described is not only probable...but has happened. I've seen party hunters going from farm house to farm house in search of tags to cover their overkill. Another reason everyone should fill their own tag....

Ya, the issue is getting old and becoming a nuisance.

Shooting too many deer? I'm sure it has happened. A very good reason to not allow party hunting.

Buying an early muzzleloader tag and then an antlerless shotgun tag? Cannot do that. But lets say you can. It sure is legal to shoot a buck and use someone elses tag, both for the resident or NR hunter.

Shoot a B&C as described? The shooter is the one bragging and nobody has to lie about it since it was all done legally.

Our group does it this way, and we have never had a case of killing more deer then we have tags. When we get down to only a few tags, we put people who havn't shot a deer yet in good sitting spots. The rest of us will push the timber to them, and they are the only ones who are allowed to shoot at the deer. The way our timber is set up, the sitters can see each other, and pretty much know whats going on as far as how many deer have been taken. To tell you the truth, most seasons we don't even fill all of our tags.

I am not sure though what needs to be done if to many deer are taken. I thought I heard once (but I could very well be wrong here), that if a group had this happen, then you are to call the DNR and they will either give you an extra transport tag, or come remove the deer for you. I could be wrong about that though. Just something I remember hearing once.

i dont think that the first situation the 10 deer one is very likely to happen in one drive if the get maybe 7 or 8 in one drive, they say shoot only big bucks but there is hardly any chance that one guy is going to get 4 deer in one drive just not very likely half of u guys dont like party hunting but u have never tried it its a lot funner when u have something running away from u and shooting at it then having it walk to u in a stand

Bubba....I am assuming you regularly practice running shots like the rest of the shotgun hunters.......

its a lot funner when u have something running away from u and shooting at it then having it walk to u in a stand, WOW, OK.

what i am saying is that woopedo u can hit something from 50 feet standing there looking at u how fun is that its a lot more fun when u hit something running from u its more exciting instead of sitting in a stand all day and hitting a buck 10 feet from ya how fun is that?????

Bubba...with all due respect, if you're looking for something to challenge your shooting abilities, try something other than deer hunting. You have a responsibility and obligation to make a clean humane killing shot on the game you hunt. Hunting is much more than target practice or who's shot was more challenging. I've seen too many Hail Mary shooter's cripple deer. Seasoned hunters will tell you not to take a running shot....it happens, but it's not the best senario.

I'm reminded of the book about Marine Sniper Carlos Hathcock..."One Shot..One Kill". In my opinion that requires more discipline and skill than trying to hose down a running deer. If a hunter needs more than one shot per tag...then he needs to go to the range and practice. A running shot requires far more skill than what most hunter's I've seen have.

[This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 12-23-2001).]

Originally posted by bubba:
what i am saying is that woopedo u can hit something from 50 feet standing there looking at u how fun is that its a lot more fun when u hit something running from u its more exciting instead of sitting in a stand all day and hitting a buck 10 feet from ya how fun is that?????

Hey Bubba your nickname says it all. Why don't you go stir the S&%t somewhere else! I see you have Hunting down in your profile as an occupation, I think you may need to look for another job. ;-)
G6

ok guys half of u are bowhunters and u dont know what it is like to hit a deer running fast past ya its awesome i have bowhunted my first 10 years of hunting and that doesnt even come close to party hunting u guys should really try it *if u cant hunt with the big dogs stay in the stand*

OK Bubba, I have done both. And I disagree with you, I guess to each their own. To me there is no thrill bigger than having a deer walk in on you, if it's a big buck your heart is thumping so hard you think he will be able to hear it. If it is a doe or small buck you get the thrill of practicing drawing on them without getting caught.

I think the point others tried to make is most people are not capable of consistently making clean kills on running shots. If you can do it, good for you. But I have seen people who claim to be good shots blast away into a group of deer running at 100 yds and wounding 1 or 2 bambis that we have to then track for a few hours, and never touch the buck or big doe they were aiming at.

IaCraig

Most of you know from my previous posts I have no problem with deer drives, I would like to see party hunting done away with....Bubba here has made my case for me, along with some of the other "Bubba's" I ran into during this years shotgun season....

Anyone else on this board like to go hunting with Bubba?

If you can't hunt with the big dogs stay in the stand! HUH! Sounds like something a immature kid would say. I don't even know why I am replying to such a stupid statement. Maybe I should have stayed on the porch! HA!

Guys remember this is a friendly forum. To each their own, if you like to hunt from a stand then so be it. If you like to party hunt then so be it. Personnally I do agree that most people can't make running shots. However, there are those people out there that can. Either way running or standing deer still risk the chance of being wounded. Yes, the odds are probably in the favor of deer being wounded running but just remember, Mother Nature works in strange ways!

As sportsmen and caretakers of the outdoors, we owe the animals we hunt more respect than what has been described here.

I agree, keep it clean and try to respect each others opinions. Bowhunters do some unanticipated wounding due to the fact that it is a challenging method of hunting and as Lee Gladfelder once put it "may be a just a byproduct of the sport" An argument might be made that bowhunting is not an efficient killing process. We could go to poison pods? (that gives me chills)

Hunting for most folks now days is not survival. It is pleasure, sport, management or whatever. Not necessarily a pure killing process.

I fully support educating hunters to be safe, practice, and do their very best in the field with whatever tool they are using, but short of poisoning food plots etc, most of our tools involve human error potential. Which gives most of us that enjoy the challenge a spark to keep us going.

Now we're supposed to be Recon Snipers? Can we use M40's? Hollywood certainly backs your theory, since Ed Harris took the only shot at a moving target (Nazi bastard).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>One time I took a shot at a running deer and missed. Therefore nobody should ever be able to take a shot at a running deer. If my God-like powers did not allow me to put it down with the one shot, then how can the rest of you second-class citizens even THINK it is possible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I greatly appreciate that all people who party hunt are grouped into the no-good, slovenly, trespassing, no-scouting, shoot up the landscape & wound deer crowd. I especially hope you're generating paranoia in landowners who read this forum, because that would just be soooooo beneficial to all deer hunters. &lt;/sarcasm&gt;

I think y'all should caucus and determine just what type of criminals we are. At least that way we know which support group to join. Maybe a 12 step program for people who manufacture quotes?

Top Bottom