Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Say No to Senate File 278

I agree totally with MH.The only thing in life that is certain is change.I do not like the way some things turn out,but you deal with them. If they need more revenue, increase the liscence fee.

This is a hot issue and I beg all the guys who are against it to notify your legislator!!!!!!!! There have been many good responses and reasons so.. give your opions and ideas to someone that counts.THANKS

NO TO 278!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MH-I agree with you, as a NR landowner I would simply like to have some sort of preference over a NR-non landowner. I am not a high level manager or a Dr. but rather someone who has worked hard to save my money with the hope that someday I will have a place to hunt quality whitetails with my son.

I dont feel the current set up treats NR/LO's fair but after talking with several farmers from Iowa they feel they are the ones hurt the most because the current situation does not allow their land to reach its true recreational value to anyone, resident or nonresident.

I have met many hunters over the past 3 years in Iowa, both nonresident and resident, and everyone I have met has had one thing in common, a passion for hunting quality whitetails. I hope we can agree on a plan that everyone will satisfied with.
Good hunting.

rescuebill,

I will state again that Illinois has the quality and quantity of deer that Iowa has, they have no limit on NR tags, and NR landowners are guaranteed landowner tags. Yet Illinois only issues around 500 NR landowner tags and that number has remained stable for the last sevaral years.

Your fears are unconfirmed and border on paranoia. It's a travesty that you believe any hunter would purchase or lease land just to 'screw another hunter'. That is not their motivation and never will be.

I am here to tell everyone that several years back it was forecast that 80% of the land in Iowa would change owners by the year 2020. I hope the hunting public gets most of it. I also hope Vilsak's plan to increase Iowa's population by 2 million people fails miserably. Those are the problems we face - not the extra 2500 NR deer hunters included in SF278.

Once again, I believe SF278 is a good bill that should be passed.

DC

DC,

I won't go back and forth with anyone on this subject. I simply feel one way and you another. Go to the Illions page at www.bowsite.com and ask them what over the counter non res tags and preference for non res. land owners have done to the resident hunter. Really, just go their and ask.

I do not have hate for any non residents. It is hard to debate in this kind of forum. Sometimes it seems we are attacking when in fact we are not. I just disagree with some of you. Nothing personal or paranoid.

I got a letter today from Representative David Schrader from the Monroe, IA area.

He indicates that he is not sure about increasing n/r tags. I don't oppose increasing the tags I just don't want them tied to land ownership.

He also said the fee increases are his greatest concern, particular the fishing fees. Here we are discussing one part of the law about n/r deer tags and the whole law may get killed over what I consider to be trivial fee increases. Let's face it, the fees can legitimately be adjusted every ten years or so...

$3.50 increase in fishing is trivial. Can't even buy a Whopper combo meal for that anymore.... Or your tackle box might be one spinnerbait short this year, oh, well...

If the whole law dies the only loser is the DNR.

why do residents who own no land think they are entitled to hunt for free on someone else's land? why don't bow hunters and others who actually hunt deer immediately oppose party hunting as a way to conserve quality deer. party hunting is just a total waste of the resource and makes non resident hunting look like nothing in comparison to the effect on deer populations. southern iowa is in a depression, why shouldn't they make some money from deer?

NODRIVER<
I am not a party hunter, I have owned land in southern Iowa for three years. I grew up outside of Des Moines on what used to be gravel roads. I also spent alot of time on the farm in Adams County, Iowa. I can remember my father taking me Quail hunting when I was just old enough to hold a single shot 410 shotgun. I don't ever remember walking on everyone's land without asking. I don't remember ever thinking it is my right.
I would be curious to here where you are from and your back ground, but by looking at your profile you must not want us to know. If you think selling land to out of state hunters will save southern Iowa you are crazy. The only way it will help the people and towns is if the NR hunter brings a industrial, or manufacturing plant with them. If you made all the party hunters quit hunting, within 2 years you would here more screaming about the deer population than you ever thought possible.
Please remember these are just one man's idea's!!!!!
Good hunting!!
Bowdude

Hey I, agree with both sodes. I am from Mo. We are the screwed up state. Our Conservation Com.. lets non-residents come here for 110.00 they can kill two deer. two turkeys.that is for archery. and then they can spend some more money and kill some more deer with a gun and enter in our special hunts. We should be the ones complaning.
Bt the way how does Iowa know how many deer are killed they never ck. them.

Why give NR land owners a tag?......Deer management. If NR properties are not hunted the become safe havens during the season, especially gun. It then becomes a harvest issue, are NR large property owners harvesting enough deer/does to control populations. - Does the neighbor have alot of deer crop damage. Allowing a landowner a tag insures the property will at least be hunted.

Why raise the NR limit to 10,000? How many of you have relatives that live out of state that would like to come home and deer hunt, children, nephews, ect? Its kinda sad when a farmers children live out-a-state, and can't get a tag to come home and deer hunt the family farm (legally). Too much competition with other NR hunters. In Illinois, the largest segment of NR hunters are former residents, family members, coming home to deer hunt, I would imagine Iowa is the same.

Yes, deer hunting in Iowa is changing, as it is all over the US. Hunter numbers are in the decline in the US in general. For hunting to survive, young people must be introduced to hunting. This is not done by restricting access, but by provideing more access, to residents, and non-resident family members. JMHO

Top Bottom