Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

So close...(BBD?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 guage slug in the guts at 15 yards, echoing many others.... He's TOAST, DONE, KAPUT, FINISHED. Seriously, I'd bag the computer & wondering "this and that" for a couple days and comb every stinkin inch of ground with your buddies until the story has an end. Good luck, go get him.

I would say if you had blood on your boots then you hit him. If you dead centered him anywhere between the front shoulders and hips he's has got to be dead. 15 yards with a slug is going to rip him up bad. Just the shockwave a lone through the body is going to tear him up. I bet he is dead.

12 guage slug in the guts at 15 yards, echoing many others.... He's TOAST, DONE, KAPUT, FINISHED. Seriously, I'd bag the computer & wondering "this and that" for a couple days and comb every stinkin inch of ground with your buddies until the story has an end. Good luck, go get him.

Get a map. Guess where 100 yrds is from the shot, take a compass and draw a circle. Now spend 3 hours there, 2 hours in the half of the circle you believe he went, and the other hour on the back half. This helps me cover all the ground the best. Keep trying.

Was the blood from you cutting yourself shaving for the first time before you went out!?!? Just messing with ya.... Don't give up.... I shot a deer once that I gave up on and it was found a month later, less the 50 yards from where we gave up

I have some free time this weekend. I'll come down and help Ya look, but if I find it, the cost is a day in your stand during shotgun 2 season. :)

I was going to go to 3 but figured it would be too much with band and cross country.

Edit: Went out again...no luck...-_- I'm going to say now I'll just have to move on and wait til the corn is out.

Last edited:
I gut shot a buck once and never recovered him. I know he died. He was just good at hiding I guess. Keep your head up, and if you don't end up recovering him, keep on keep'n on. Learn from your mistakes. BTW, tell others that hunt the area to keep an eye out for him. Also, let landowners know (unless it's your dad).

bigbuckhunter88 said:
What was your dad's take on all of this? Where did he think the deer was hit and did he notice the direction of travel?

My Dad was in the blind because he didn't want to sneak to the pond. He was 75 yards from me around the corner. He couldn't see when I shot. I called and told him what was going on and said it would be best to sit quite. He didn't even want to look for the buck the next day. He told me just to go shoot another one. It's my Dad, he has the mind of a shotgun hunter. I'm trying to get him to stop thinking that way.

sureshot said:
I gut shot a buck once and never recovered him. I know he died. He was just good at hiding I guess. Keep your head up, and if you don't end up recovering him, keep on keep'n on. Learn from your mistakes. BTW, tell others that hunt the area to keep an eye out for him. Also, let landowners know (unless it's your dad).

All the landowners know besides a non-res that has a 60 next to this place. He rents it out and we don't know who farms it.

My Dad was in the blind because he didn't want to sneak to the pond. He was 75 yards from me around the corner. He couldn't see when I shot. I called and told him what was going on and said it would be best to sit quite. He didn't even want to look for the buck the next day. He told me just to go shoot another one. It's my Dad, he has the mind of a shotgun hunter. I'm trying to get him to stop thinking that way.

Well knowing that, way to go with keeping after it! It can be hard to keep after something that people around you think is pointless. Even more now than ever before I hope you find him just to show people that keeping after it can pay off. Once again, good luck!

A little late to the party but did you try a dog to blood trail or scent trail it? Even now a dog could find it but of course it would be no good but at least you would recover it. I realize it might not be the best for your short term hunting but one owes it to the animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom