Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Franz buck

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
I like the part about doing away with the vague regs. Those are junk imo. Personally I think he's innocent. Buy that's just a complete guess.

Soil samples would prove salt or mineral had been there and they don't need s warrant to obtain it....probable cause is enough and obviously they wouldn't be trying to convict if they found nothing

That's one good reason to never use the stuff it's not worth it. I'm not saying he is guilty and I hope he can beat the charge but it needs to be illegal to use the stuff in this state.

HO.....LEE CRAP.

Must not be a Branstad supporter for it to get this far.

I have no opinion of guilt or innocence in this case but there will surely be ramifications about baiting/mineral placement.

That's one good reason to never use the stuff it's not worth it. I'm not saying he is guilty and I hope he can beat the charge but it needs to be illegal to use the stuff in this state.

Just the opposite it needs to be legalized. Too much gray area, mineral is a nonfactor with our season starting in Oct.

Last edited:
I also have no view on whether he used bait or not. I wasn't there, but shooting a buck in mid October has nothing to do with the bait that was or wasn't placed. The bucks in my area quit coming to mineral in September. This is also a reason I put all of my licks where there is no possible way of me hunting them. People will always be jealous and to me it's not worth the risk.
Edit: When I am referring to bait in this post I am strictly talking mineral.

Last edited:
Innocent until proven guilty, so why'd he have to turn over the deer? Courts do not care about deer hunting in Iowa, sad but true. Many poachers have been caught and 9 out of 10 get a slap on the wrist. That's why we have so many life long poachers living here. I think he will over come these charges, plain and simple he has video of the hunt, he had proper tags etc, so the soil samples prove what? All dirt in Iowa contains some form of minerals, so I really think it will be easy to convince a jury, or Judge that a jar of dirt is circumstantial, so unless he had no tag or used a spot light this is going to be a big waste of tax payers money.

I find it funny they are worried about mineral residue in October as far as baiting, yet the deer is standing in a lush green foodplot if I remember correctly. One planted specifically to draw him to an area to be killed. What was the bait?

More reason to not share what you harvest. Can't do anything right in the eyes of others. I don't know any details but if he's willing to film the hunt and put his story out there I doubt he's in the wrong.

Aaand if they're so worried about poachers how about the COs drive around at dusk and listen for all the gunfire during now season. It's a joke.

Sounds like a previous owner couldn't kill him , so he told the dnr where an old mineral lick was that nobody prolly even knew about! I call BS!

Wow this is crazy. I think this will be an easy case for him to win IMO. I predict it comes with reg changes one way or another. If anything it will get more specific.

This got me thinking. I was looking at a piece of property a few months ago. There were some giant holes in the ground that it was obvious that there was mineral there for years and years and years. I bet that stuff is in ground for years without ever adding more. What would a new landowner have to do in that scenario? Get a backhoe and remove a dump truck load of soil? Salt leaches into the soil.

It's a shame what things come to. I hope he didn't do anything wrong.. What a bad thing to happen to take away from killing a buck of a life time. People always want to hurt others.. I hope things work out for this guy. I agree a mineral lick isn't helping him in October, but he's allowed to hunt over a field of Turnips .. Million Things that can be considered bait. Start with Doe Estrus....

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom