Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Franz buck

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Sligh nailed it.. People shining deer and poking them out of the truck window with a rifle should be their concern. Most guys who put mineral out have nothing but the best of intentions for the deer herd when really they are just keeping the herd healthy for the poachers to feast on. A guy gets lucky enough to harvest a deer of a life time and those mineral licks will bite him in the ass, while a bunch of kids can go around poaching literally a hundred deer and get nothing more than a slap on the wrist and don't lose their hunting rights. I've asked multiple times how far away do I need to be and I just get told its really a judgement call. I've been plowing through the licks I can get a tractor to but there shouldn't be a judgement call when an animal like this that a guy can dedicate his life to killing is involved.

Hell, Skip needs a website to sell decals.....why create a website? I think he let it go to his head

Ha ha. Ok, now I read over all the comments.
Ok - if someone wants to buy a replica of any deer I shoot- ha, ok, that's kinda silly but all good.
On the website thing.... I guess it doesn't really bother me. I'll admit - I can see where that would turn some folks off. I get it. Honestly, here's what I bet happened on the website.... You shoot a "world class animal" and this is a new world and amount of attention and it's the biggest buck ever on video. Whatever. all good. I'll BET YOU..... His mind set (I do not know him) went to "what did Milo Hansen do"? And a handful of others. Many of which sold their racks (which personally I think is INSANE but they can do what they want).... "well, the Milo Hansen guy shot the world record and made a fortune touring it around (I heard over a million dollars), sold replicas, went to shows, you name it!" - I bet he thought along those lines and thought, "that's what guys do with huge deer" and saw what Milo hansen did. Just thought like a "business-man". I could see both sides of the "taste" issue on that but I guess that's a side tangent I could care less about.

IF it's simply a "POSSIBLE" "ALLEDGED" MINERAL ISSUE - I hope he gets this dropped. If there's more to it, I guess I have no place to say and don't have any knowledge. In general, I've seen this one played out before, I knew a good hunter & friend in IL get pinched on MINERALS in November and I know for a fact, they were just out to nail him for something. It was stupid on his part but I know the intent in most of those examples is not to do wrong. Minerals - I'm still guessing it's jealousy but I sure don't know. Interesting.

Please DNR, PLEASE - dusk & dawn & night time, any neighborhood in Iowa, I don't think it's shocking that most members out here likely here multiple suspicious rifle shots all the time. Many of which we all know the outcome. Headless deer, etc. Please go after the tougher to catch and egregious poachers, there's no shortage.

Side note and 2 cents...
I do not like baiting. Hope Iowa never allows it. BUT - for many reasons, I think we need to allow a Mineral exception. (I know, folks can start the disease discussion, I get it) - it's done for health of herd & monitoring in summer and IMO - does help with health, rack size, benefits to does/fawns (all same reasons cattle guys use it except I believe it does help grow bigger racks if supplementing lack of nutrients like Phosphorous, calcium & trace minerals, etc). IMO (from veterinarian I know) & reading I've done.... helps fend off disease, sickness, increases recovery of skeletal structure, "LIKELY" helps in increased health which can fend off even SOME instances of EHD, helps with fertility, resistance to parasites & bugs and the list goes on. Side rant & topic. Sorry.

Ha ha. Ok, now I read over all the comments.
Ok - if someone wants to buy a replica of any deer I shoot- ha, ok, that's kinda silly but all good.
On the website thing.... I guess it doesn't really bother me. I'll admit - I can see where that would turn some folks off. I get it. Honestly, here's what I bet happened on the website.... You shoot a "world class animal" and this is a new world and amount of attention and it's the biggest buck ever on video. Whatever. all good. I'll BET YOU..... His mind set (I do not know him) went to "what did Milo Hansen do"? And a handful of others. Many of which sold their racks (which personally I think is INSANE but they can do what they want).... "well, the Milo Hansen guy shot the world record and made a fortune touring it around (I heard over a million dollars), sold replicas, went to shows, you name it!" - I bet he thought along those lines and thought, "that's what guys do with huge deer" and saw what Milo hansen did. Just thought like a "business-man". I could see both sides of the "taste" issue on that but I guess that's a side tangent I could care less about.

IF it's simply a "POSSIBLE" "ALLEDGED" MINERAL ISSUE - I hope he gets this dropped. If there's more to it, I guess I have no place to say and don't have any knowledge. In general, I've seen this one played out before, I knew a good hunter & friend in IL get pinched on MINERALS in November and I know for a fact, they were just out to nail him for something. It was stupid on his part but I know the intent in most of those examples is not to do wrong. Minerals - I'm still guessing it's jealousy but I sure don't know. Interesting.

Please DNR, PLEASE - dusk & dawn & night time, any neighborhood in Iowa, I don't think it's shocking that most members out here likely here multiple suspicious rifle shots all the time. Many of which we all know the outcome. Headless deer, etc. Please go after the tougher to catch and egregious poachers, there's no shortage.

Side note and 2 cents...
I do not like baiting. Hope Iowa never allows it. BUT - for many reasons, I think we need to allow a Mineral exception. (I know, folks can start the disease discussion, I get it) - it's done for health of herd & monitoring in summer and IMO - does help with health, rack size, benefits to does/fawns (all same reasons cattle guys use it except I believe it does help grow bigger racks if supplementing lack of nutrients like Phosphorous, calcium & trace minerals, etc). IMO (from veterinarian I know) & reading I've done.... helps fend off disease, sickness, increases recovery of skeletal structure, "LIKELY" helps in increased health which can fend off even SOME instances of EHD, helps with fertility, resistance to parasites & bugs and the list goes on. Side rant & topic. Sorry.

Excellent points...

From the regs. "Bait does not include food placed during normal agricultural activities". So planting anything, any sized plot, and letting it grow naturally is not illegal
I think you missed his point, he's saying what's the difference in a small kill plot as opposed to a mineral site? If the plot is small enough to shoot clear across nothing. Normal agricultural activities don't include turnips.

It's all about greed. Why can't people be happy and congratulate when someone takes a nice buck? Putting things into perspective if this was a basket buck I will almost bet this wouldn't have happened, when in reality the same actions should be taken. I fully support that this buck was taken legally.

K- now this pisses me off.... I just read article at length. Read the comments. Dude getting dragged thru the mud. How many people will read this article? 100k? Probably. This guy kills a giant on film and has to defend himself to hundreds of thousands of the public who live amongst him and these clowns already made their judgements. Apparently the court of public opinion on the Des Moines Register has already convicted him. Convicted a lot of hunters in general too. This is pretty crappy. I don't know the scoop here but the guy lost his mount and based on a whole lot of commenters - must have been picked up on "citizens arrest" - locked in the basement of the Des Moines register & being fed one small meal a day of all vegetables (as hunters to start are criminals & barbarians) Apparently he's already guilty. Give me a break.

The thing that i don't understand is all that stuff is illegal, y the hell does every store in Iowa sell the stuff then? Walmart Menards farm n fleet mills gas stations etc etc??

The thing that i don't understand is all that stuff is illegal, y the hell does every store in Iowa sell the stuff then? Walmart Menards farm n fleet mills gas stations etc etc??

Same reason convenience stores sell singles when "open containers" are illegal. $$$$$$$$$$$$ Because it sells. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I believe, in this day and age it is best to keep ones harvest low key. Too many haters. Dam, I shoot a buck, send it to one buddy and within 10 minutes someone in Georgia could see it. Next thing, land around around me is bought, leased etc. Best thing is to be quite. Bragging gets people nowhere in the long run! And, yes this is what he was doing, OBVIOUSLY WANTED THE ATTENTION! Only a select few ever see what I shoot! Why, because I do it for myself, not others!

I also think it's funny that it took a year to bring charges an entire year after the buck was killed. Would really like to know when the soil sample was taken. Of course I don't know all the details but sounds like a case this guy's lawyer should be able to shred to pieces.

As to the 300 inches killed in Ohio I couldn't believe the crap being talked about. One account I read said the guy told his warden about the deer this past summer then called the warden and brought him out for the recovery. Sad what shooting a big deer has come to....

K- now this pisses me off.... I just read article at length. Read the comments. Dude getting dragged thru the mud. How many people will read this article? 100k? Probably. This guy kills a giant on film and has to defend himself to hundreds of thousands of the public who live amongst him and these clowns already made their judgements. Apparently the court of public opinion on the Des Moines Register has already convicted him. Convicted a lot of hunters in general too. This is pretty crappy. I don't know the scoop here but the guy lost his mount and based on a whole lot of commenters - must have been picked up on "citizens arrest" - locked in the basement of the Des Moines register & being fed one small meal a day of all vegetables (as hunters to start are criminals & barbarians) Apparently he's already guilty. Give me a break.

That's the Des Moines Rag for ya. I stopped reading that things years ago.

I also think it's funny that it took a year to bring charges an entire year after the buck was killed. Would really like to know when the soil sample was taken. Of course I don't know all the details but sounds like a case this guy's lawyer should be able to shred to pieces.

As to the 300 inches killed in Ohio I couldn't believe the crap being talked about. One account I read said the guy told his warden about the deer this past summer then called the warden and brought him out for the recovery. Sad what shooting a big deer has come to....

I don't know enough about the Frantz buck to say what did or did not happen there. If he is a poacher, then I hope he gets nailed, if he is not, then I hope he is vindicated and if someone set him up out of jealousy, etc, then I hope they get punched right in the nose.

But regarding the Ohio buck...and assuming what I bolded above is true...

it saddens me greatly that in this nation of freedom and liberty...for which many, many men and women gave their own lives to ensure on our behalves...that we have devolved to the point where a man feels the need to "pre-authorize" the potential taking of a freaking deer with law enforcement so as to avoid prosecution and/or rumor mongering.

Then, to top it off, he invites law enforcement to go with him to validate that he is in fact, a legal hunter. It boils me to think that someone would do this...or feel the need to do so...so as to avoid trouble.

Do we invite sheriffs over to check out our house and make sure we aren't committing any crimes? Do we flag down the Highway Patrol to radar us as we drive by to make sure we aren't going over the speed limit?

It is sad that some are so jealous of others that they participate in rumor mongering...when they know absolutely nothing about what did or did not happen...over a freaking deer.

That is exactly why I don't shoot world class deer.......and the fact I would miss if one did show up but it is just to much headache these days. ;) ;)

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom