Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

double mainbeam

grizhawkins

Sooo....finally a decent 1st season opener weather-wise, but i had to pick up my daughter (pictured below) at 9:00 am. I had oppertunities at two decent bucks, a 10 at first light and an 8 around 8:30. both i would have gladly taken with a bow. 9:15 rolls around at i really need to get out of my stand to get Laikyn. im already late, and its another 20 minute walk to the truck. so i climb down and start walkin to the truck, make a phone call to say that i am actually on my way to get her. i get to the truck, unload the shotgun, put the shells back in their box, put the gun in the case, stick it behind the seat. i step back to take my bulky coat coat off, look around and see this buck coming thru the cattle at a fast walk. i have no binocs with me, but i could tell somethin wasnt right with his right side. so in a scramble, i get the case back out out, get the gun out and check the deer out thru the scope. i knew right away i wanted to harvest this deer. of course panic mode sets in because i have a small window to get a shot because hes movin away at about 100+ yards towards the timber. my shells are in my coat i just took off, rolled up and thru to the other side of the truck. so in a scramble i finally get everything ready, in that short amount of time, about 15 does came out of the timber headin towards this buck, and unbelievably one of them is hot, he picks up on her and she leads him right to me on a string. i harvested this deer at about a 110 yards from the the front seat of the pickup using the door as a rest. procrastination, luck, and the right place at the right time are what enabled me to harvest this deer. he has a double mainbeam on his right side. 14 scorable points, measured by the taxidermist-mainframe 127 1/8 gross with 47 inches of nontypical gross. final score 174 1/8

this is my daughter Laikyn with my 2010 harvest
1050-laik1.jpg

1050-laik2.jpg

1050-laik3.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a sweet deer congrats!!! Isn't that how it always seems to go?!?!?! I would be interested in seeing how he measured him!

So, you shot the deer out of your car...sketchy.

It's Iowa gun season! Nothing sketchy about it! :D

But seriously congrats on a unique trophy! Rather be lucky than good any day. Neat to see the pics with your daughter, she looks pretty happy for dad! :way:

Yeah, pretty sketchy. Truck parked in a cornfield a mile from the closest road. I guess I should have shot off hand instead of using the truck as a rest. That would have been a much better shot and much more stable. Seriously? Some people!

Top Bottom