Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pedestal Mounts/Stands

flugge

So I dropped my deer off at the taxidermist and decided to do a pedestal style mount. What is everyone using for a stand? I have the shed, and a few other small pieces that I want to make sure get used in the "landscape"..So lets see your pictures :) Please :)

flugge hear are some pedestal bases. The sky is the limit on what you can do. They can be simple or very complex and cost way more then the mount. My advice is don’t make them to big or else they can take away from the mount.
If habitat is going to be used many times simple is better or else the piece gets to busy.
Here is Patches I brainstorm the design with no habitat and had a cabinet builder made it. The base cost me 350$ and I supplied the wood.
34557a7642acfbb96106bf1674f22a30.jpg

This one the guy wanted habitat.
8cf20ef927600f26219539aac9a6ee1e.jpg

This one a friend of owner made a cedar base. His Mrs ruined it with ugly flowers
3b8e964528b4b6cf6ce8c328445c4f3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
THose are all awesome!! But how come the pedastal post is in the back? Wouldn’t u want it in the middle for stability?

THose are all awesome!! But how come the pedastal post is in the back? Wouldn’t u want it in the middle for stability?
Great question with pedestal mounts anything can work with the right design. With the post in the back makes the mount very stable plus it keeps the mount itself inside the pedestal.
Google pedestal mounts and you will find a big variety. Many are very complex and many are simple designs.

Last edited:
Those are all awesome... I have been looking since I dropped off the deer, and am more confused than ever...I get the feeling I am going to have to wait and really take my time, I mean I pry have 10 months to get him back..but will be worth the wait..Thanks for posting those Ishi!!

Lots of nice looking bases and pedestals here. I have one of these, I will admit taxi but put a little reinforcement in the top of it before mounting my buck but the guy does pretty good work.

https://roostinridge.com/

I would love one, but so worried about the stability especially with my kids running around the trophy room. I tell myself when I shoot a 180 I’m gonna do it.

I had an awesome pedestal mount of my largest buck done back in Feb 2008. If you have a dog or any other type of pet, consider their lack of self discipline before spending the extra coin. I got tired of punishing my lab for destroying the habitat and eventually converted the mount back to a wall pedestal.

Personally I think old weathered barn wood or an old fence post makes the best pedestal, just looks natural and part of the piece. Finished wood bases just look dont flow with the mount IMO.

I like the simple ones with a post/pole and smaller base - I've got one I'm having a pedestal done on this year and possibly a second. Was considering working them in such a way they'd be mounted on the same post. Do you have to have the bottom pretty heavy to prevent them from being top heavy?

I like the simple ones with a post/pole and smaller base - I've got one I'm having a pedestal done on this year and possibly a second. Was considering working them in such a way they'd be mounted on the same post. Do you have to have the bottom pretty heavy to prevent them from being top heavy?
In that situation you might want to have the post more in the middle of the base to even the weight out. It also depends if you are going to stack the deer or have one on each side.
I would make a mock base out of plywood before making the original one to make sure it will work. If the piece is to top heavy I don’t think extra weight on the bottom will solve the top heavy part. Last thing you want to have it fall over or have to make another base.
Keep us informed and post the pics up when it’s completed.

In that situation you might want to have the post more in the middle of the base to even the weight out. It also depends if you are going to stack the deer or have one on each side.
I would make a mock base out of plywood before making the original one to make sure it will work. If the piece is to top heavy I don’t think extra weight on the bottom will solve the top heavy part. Last thing you want to have it fall over or have to make another base.
Keep us informed and post the pics up when it’s completed.
Ishi, this is very true! Gotta remember how top heavy his two from this year are gonna be!!!!!!
Congrats again on 2 giants!

Ishi, this is very true! Gotta remember how top heavy his two from this year are gonna be!!!!!!
Congrats again on 2 giants!
I agree very much! Slobber knockers like that deserve to be on a pedestal to show their stuff:D

What is the story on this buck? I recognize him as the IW logo buck, but never knew the story.

I was fortunate to have a very good year bowhunting in 2002. I harvested this mature Non-Typical Iowa Whitetail that grosses 205 7/8 and nets at 200 1/8 officially scored for both Pope & Young and Boone & Crockett. I have his sheds from the previous year as well as DeerCam pictures of him for the past two years. He was taken with one Easton carbon arrow in a perfect broadside shot with Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade Broadhead flung from a Bowtech Patriot bow and went less than 50 yards before dropping within sight.
He received first place honors in the Iowa Bowhunters Association Big Buck Contest and Second place at the Iowa Deer Classic for Non-Typical Archery.
After I posted the picture on here Chris Lane contacted me about using his image as a logo for the website as they had nothing very good at the time.
LimbChicken drew up some samples and he become the new logo for IowaWhitetail.
The original rack is in my home and a reproduction hangs in my shop. Muzzy paid for the reproductions and kept one copy they used in a touring collection called the Muzzy 200 Club.

I still have one extra reproduction from them that I haven't used - someday i will have to find a use for it or might possibly sell it.

Some will depend on how tall a post you want to place them on. Your base can be fashioned in such a way that a bag or two of sand (or better yet, lead shot) can be added to help with stability. Folks mount elk on pedestals so even a couple of really great deer shouldn't be that much of a problem. Talk with your taxi. Bet he'll have a thought or two on how to pull it off. ;)

Top Bottom