Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1st father/daughter hunt!!

FinBonZ

Life Member
About 2 weeks ago my 4 yr. old daughter and I went out to make a "turkey blind". Basically we cleared a spot along a field finger where she could be comfortable and have a good view. So today, after I bumped a bird early, I went back to the house and convinced her to go on a hunt. We got to our "blind" and set out the decoys, settled in(opened some M$M's and broke out a grape Juicy Juice), and made some calls. After about 20 min. I notice a turkey head coming over the field ridge to our side. I had made my mind up earlier that even if a jake came in, I would take it. The bird kept walking and it ended up being a hen. The next thing I saw was the feather tips of a tom in strut. He was cresting the hill right in front of us. I whispered to my daughter to hold still and waited as they came closer to the decoys. I really wanted to yelp or cutt so she could hear one gobble, but I was so nervous I didn't call anymore and just got my gun ready. I kept whispering to her and asking if she could see it, but she never answered back. Finally, the gobbler was within about 25 yds. and I told her to drop the Juicy Juice and cover her ears. A quick ending to a long story! After a big hug, we ran out to get a closer look. We went back to get my wife (photographer) and then got back to our bird where she retold the story and posed for pics. This was our first hunt together and it couldn't have been planned out any better than it happened. If you are still reading this far, I apologize for the length of this. But I have never heard a short turkey hunting story and I'm definitly wasn't going to leave too much out of this one! I can't wait for the day when she can take one on her own. Now for the less important part; 24 lbs, 10 1/2 beard, and 1 3/8 spurs. One of my best.
534brooke_in_blind-med.jpg
534brooke_and_bird-med.jpg

That is awesome! Certainly a hunt you and your daughter will never forget.

Cloaca..... AWSOME man!! Like I said in the PM, I can't wait to get my son out with me! It looks as if you posted all the bird data, I'll need the rest of the info on the list I sent you for the calls. Great job buddy!

Congratulations on your special time with your daughter. And to top it off with a nice gobbler........doesn't get any better.
waytogo.gif

That is one of the best hunts I've read this spring. These little squirts change everything don't they? I'm sure she is thankful you're a great dad.

Awesome Steve! Congrats Buddy!
waytogo.gif

Erin and I just couldn't close the deal for her this weekend. Looks like your turn is coming soon.

COngrats again!
grin.gif

Nice story, what a fine moment. I don't want time to hurry past, but I can't wait til mine are old enough.

That is the coolest. Next weekend I'm taking my boys out and going to try to call one in for them to see. Congratulations!

Top Bottom