Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 rule change

I want to see something specific to public land done. We don't need doe tags valid on public land. There's plenty of hunters willing to use any sex tags on a doe.

GOARMY, I like your ideas. Especially for gov tags. But like others said; I believe the DNR will present their plan and get shot down by the mustache for fear of lost revenue.

FACT: there is meetings coming up where input is needed and requested and we need good voices there as it will have impact. That's one fact we can count on. Need to good voices though!

Why not put the price of a second buck tag the same as the NR fee? You can still take one and if you want a second then you just gotta pay for it.......

Not a lot of tinkering needs to be done except IMO lower the number of antlerless tags and end the late antlerless season so less shed bucks gets shot.

The single best thing to increase your population is end party hunting. This will reduce the number of guys in the woods drastically during gun season and the pushing would drastically reduce.

Keep those idiots out of the woods and end pushing and your age structure will skyrocket immediately!

I don't know I think I'd send Hoosier. He seems to know more about this state and its well being than the people who actually live here, farm here, hunt here, own land here, etc, etc. I bet his arguement of 75% of the farmers insurance claims are a sham would go over real well at the state house. Or better yet calling 100,00 people "idiots" running around slaughtering deer during gun season would really win them over.

I don't know I think I'd send Hoosier. He seems to know more about this state and its well being than the people who actually live here, farm here, hunt here, own land here, etc, etc. I bet his arguement of 75% of the farmers insurance claims are a sham would go over real well at the state house. Or better yet calling 100,00 people "idiots" running around slaughtering deer during gun season would really win them over.

Hawk

I work in insurance and understand its principles very well. It's a broken system that has allowed people to make claims when they were never intended to be able to. People were locking in numbers in the spring, achieving their desired yields in fall and then still having a crop insurance claim. The real cash crop was the insurance!

I also said 75% of farmers don't have a legitimate deer damage complaint. Maybe I'm a little high but 50% is legit. As someone else said, those deer aren't Hiding behind their windmills in central Iowa. Your state has destroyed so much habitat that you can see for miles without seeing a woods driving along I-80.

Deer have always been here and just as the deer population increased, so did farming technology thus increasing yields.

And yes I do consider party hunting one of the worst deer regulations in the United States. I don't care about tradition, I care about common sense. Just like the Carolina's deer a day and mile long gun season.

Some of you may think that only allowing each hunter 1 any sex tag per year is ridiculous and will never happen, but I see it as a very real possibility!

Many states currently only allow one buck per hunter, and with the deer population going down and nothing being done about it despite the outcry of most of the hunting community, the next move is to allow fewer tags! Now common sense would say to reduce doe tags but clearly the state wants fewer deer. So they will use this to argue that because of the reduced #s then they will reduce the buck tags.

And it wouldn't surprise me if the next move is to allow more NR tags to supplement their income! In the end it seems the State of Iowa wants fewer deer(many states appear to be on a similar path). And for those of you that think the DNR is on our sides as hunters, its wishful thinking! If that were the case the Late Doe Season would have been done away with after it served its purpose, and especially after the EHD issues in the past few years.

FYI 1 buck tag won't rebound your population. We have it here in Indiana. It helped age structure but until the doe tags go away your in trouble because the general public lacks the foresight to effectively manage the population.

The dreaded if I don't shoot it my neighbor will syndrome will start taking over on does!

The single best thing to increase your population is end party hunting. This will reduce the number of guys in the woods drastically during gun season and the pushing would drastically reduce.

Keep those idiots out of the woods and end pushing and your age structure will skyrocket immediately!

Party hunting in Iowa happens to be the biggest management tool we have currently. It is also deep with tradition is Iowa. This does not sound like a very viable option. As population swing towards the high end again they'll need plenty of hunter again to bring numbers back down. I expect an up and down cycle to become normal. A large reduction in hunter numbers would place the burden of management on a few. Those few may even feel more and more like the deer they manage are their own. They may even be granted KING status.

I agree with Ironwood on what he has said, but i also have a few things to say. I dont think stoppin party huntin will help with anything. Your sayin that "those idiots" including me are shootin everything they see (which can be true with some parties) and are ruining the age structure throughout the herd. Well that can be true but attacking party hunting won't solve it. I think the way to solve it is to lower the amount of tags you can get!! Goin back to party huntin, if "those idiots" don't have as any tags as they used to then that means they will have to be more selective on what they shoot resulting in better age structures. Even if they shoot a couple yearlings or small bucks..... They only shot a couple not the whole age group of deer.

Last edited:
Hoosier why do you feel the need to come to an Iowa Whitetail to complain about how the farmers are destroying habitat, hunters are pushing deer, and don't give NR's tags? You don't live work or hunt here. Don'you have problems in your own state? Go on a crusade to fix your own deer population. Its one thing to have an Iowa Native talk about these things but some dude from out of state that doesn't work, hunt, or live here just rubs me the wrong way.

Trust me when I say that I don't feel sorry for any NR's out there that owns land here or wish they did.

If any of you think the deer population is too low right now you need to talk to some of the old boys that have been hunting since the begenning deer seasons when if they saw a track it was a big deal. It seems like some hunters feel entitled, and if you do, you need to think differently.

Things cycle and I have a feeling that deer population will cycle higher in a few years. I usually shoot three four does a year. I shot one buck this year. And it wasn't because of a lack of opprotunity on does either.

I have to agree with getting rid of party hunting. There is no need for a group to go around and fill eachothers tags. It leads to over harvest and many times deer just left laying because they aren't what people want or people shot too many. I'm not a fan of pushing but you could still push. If you want to shoot deer buy and own your own tags. It's cheaper that way too. If you want to shoot more than one buck get a bow.

I heard a rumor from a Guy I work with (he is usually pretty reliable) that the dnr will be having major rule changes next season. With the widespread ehd kills and overhunting in some areas the rumor is that you will be allowed one any sex tag per year for the next 3-5 years in order to bring the population back. So if you bow hunt that's your only tag same with all the other seasons just one tag for the year also was told there will be no NR tags during this time frame.

My thoughts on this are it will definitely work to help repopulate the areas like SW Iowa where there are alot more deer currently but I don't see how this will truly help around where I grew up in Wright county where there haven't been but maybe 100 antlerless tags per year since I started hunting in the early 90s the cover and habitat around where I grew up was pretty much nil unless there is a river or creek in the area it has all been tilled and turned into cropland fence line to fenceline road to road. Even if the population in areas like this came back up from this the first year or two of hunting after the 3-5 year would be better but then right back to the usual where you are lucky to see deer during season let alone get a shot at one.

Just my opinion not trying to rile anyone up just curious what others think about this.

If the above happened you would have some very cheap land and some of you would get your wish that is for sure!!

I personally would like to see the shed buck season gone, the antlerless quotas re evaluated and lowered as needed, and maybe it wouldn't be so bad to issue only 1 any sex tag per hunter for 2 or maybe 3 years to let the age structure mature a little bit to make up for EHD loss. And if they're worried about lost revenue then raise the price of tags $5.

Top Bottom