Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2014 rule change

If I had areas I wasn't making any $ or breaking even - I'd simply enroll in Crp where I could get $150-250/acre (depends on ground and program) guaranteed and have great habitat.

Sligh i agree it has more to do with weather. The outside rows are toast.
We put most marginal land in hay.
In lucas county crp rates arnt that high

Sligh i agree it has more to do with weather. The outside rows are toast.
We put most marginal land in hay.
In lucas county crp rates arnt that high

Maybe you have but check in with the continuous CRP sign up's now and also buffer strips. Most rough counties had rough ground on regular CRP from the CONTINUOUS program around $140 minimum I was thinking, usually 150-160 but I could be off by some. maybe different in Lucas but sure worth a shot. Buffer strips were upper 100's, like 180-200. Maybe get an update and they could possibly be a little better than previously?

If ur in rathbun water shed rates are higher
Im on wrong side of highway 34
I've got some in thats the 15 year trees getten 130's

As to the post about removing party hunting if it was put to vote tomarrow to keep party hunting or archery guess which would win. I don't party hunt or come from a background of it but it is what the majority of hunters consider deer hunting here. It is also a way that a lot of family's are able to come together to huntwith family that lives out of state. It is one tradition that isn't going anywhere. Also it is not the problem which changed the population.

So are you sayin a party hunter can't be a hardcore deer nut? :D

Most aren't. I don't enjoy party hunting. Never have liked posting up and waiting for the deer to come running by me at full speed. I would much rather gun hunt like I bow hunt, hunt the travel routes and watch unpressured deer go about their daily routine.

Most aren't. I don't enjoy party hunting. Never have liked posting up and waiting for the deer to come running by me at full speed. I would much rather gun hunt like I bow hunt, hunt the travel routes and watch unpressured deer go about their daily routine.

Obviously im in the minority on this site with party hunting. im a party hunter who is a hardcore deer nut. I enjoy party hunting. It gives me the time to enjoy my family and to be able to hunt along side them and enjoy a harvest together.

Last edited:
Some of you may think that only allowing each hunter 1 any sex tag per year is ridiculous and will never happen, but I see it as a very real possibility!

Many states currently only allow one buck per hunter, and with the deer population going down and nothing being done about it despite the outcry of most of the hunting community, the next move is to allow fewer tags! Now common sense would say to reduce doe tags but clearly the state wants fewer deer. So they will use this to argue that because of the reduced #s then they will reduce the buck tags.

And it wouldn't surprise me if the next move is to allow more NR tags to supplement their income! In the end it seems the State of Iowa wants fewer deer(many states appear to be on a similar path). And for those of you that think the DNR is on our sides as hunters, its wishful thinking! If that were the case the Late Doe Season would have been done away with after it served its purpose, and especially after the EHD issues in the past few years.

This is definitely a scary reality. I hope that the reduced buck tags for residents is too drastic for them though.

We just want to stop the sharing of tags. What's the difference if you buy your own tags and fill them. You still get the joy of hunting with everyone and get to push. It just requires hunters to be more responsible with their harvests instead of shooting and not knowing who all has killed a deer and how many tags have been filled.

I think no tag sharing would be a good idea to increase the responsible harvest, but I don't think there is a good way to enfore it. It would definitely be tough anway. Few would go along with it while others would continue tradition.

Obviously im in the minority on this site with party hunting. im a party hunter who is a hardcore deer nut. I enjoy party hunting. It gives me the time to enjoy my family and to be able to hunt along side them and enjoy a harvest together.

The only way you can enjoy time together as a family hunting is to party hunt? I spent the last 25 yrs of my life hunting with family and never party hunting and it was great family time and something we do do every year. How does anyone outside the state of Iowa enjoy family time hunting without being allowed to party hunt?

The only way you can enjoy time together as a family hunting is to party hunt? I spent the last 25 yrs of my life hunting with family and never party hunting and it was great family time and something we do do every year. How does anyone outside the state of Iowa enjoy family time hunting without being allowed to party hunt?

I don't think he was saying that's the ONLY way he can enjoy time together- I think his point was its not only about the hunt- its about spending time together. I was a party hunter LONG before I became big into bow hunting- which is now my main passion. But like or dislike I still party hunt because my brother and father and other guys from the group never go into bow hunting and I enjoy spending time with them at the cabin that first week of deer hunting every year. Bow hunting is my time- Shotgun one is friends and family time for me as well-

I think no tag sharing would be a good idea to increase the responsible harvest, but I don't think there is a good way to enfore it. It would definitely be tough anway. Few would go along with it while others would continue tradition.
The few groups who shoot everything that moves and then decides what to tag will still continue to hunt that way even if we didn't have party hunting. I think you hear more stories of this happening than really happens and usually it's started from jealousy or from a person or person who doesn't like shotgunners. I don't think party hunting is going away.

I think he has a different opinion than you. :confused: Something that he grew up doing and probably handed down to him for generations. Not saying it is right or wrong if you have the right people involved.
Now if you think it is hard to sway the guys on IW to your opinion try talking to a 70 year old deer nut that has party hunted for years.
It gets very exciting. :D

get off the party hunting lynch mob. its the only tool the DNR has for herd management/control. its not going anywehre. there are alot of options to stabilize the herd before party hunting is attacked. u wanna get people fired up, try to change party hunting. bowhunters are far out numbered in this state. i don't think u really want to get the orange army up and running towards the state capital

get off the party hunting lynch mob. its the only tool the DNR has for herd management/control. its not going anywehre. there are alot of options to stabilize the herd before party hunting is attacked. u wanna get people fired up, try to change party hunting. bowhunters are far out numbered in this state. i don't think u really want to get the orange army up and running towards the state capital

Most of the ones I've run into in southern Iowa don't know what the Capitol of Iowa is, let alone run towards it lol

I don't think he was saying that's the ONLY way he can enjoy time together- I think his point was its not only about the hunt- its about spending time together. I was a party hunter LONG before I became big into bow hunting- which is now my main passion. But like or dislike I still party hunt because my brother and father and other guys from the group never go into bow hunting and I enjoy spending time with them at the cabin that first week of deer hunting every year. Bow hunting is my time- Shotgun one is friends and family time for me as well-

This is me to a T.
I am the only one in my family who bow hunts anymore. My father gave it up several years before he had his stroke, my boys would rather gun hunt and all of the friends we hunted with back when I was a teenager in the early 80s dont bowhunt either. But we still get together with them for shotgun every year and its the only time we see them all year long.

I'll probably get slammed for this being a non resident commenting on Iowa's game laws. But in southern Minnesota the DNR actually got this right, no cross tagging of bucks. Doesn't mean you can't hunt together and make drives and all that. If you shoot a buck you must tag it, cross tagging for does is still legal. Not the easiest to enforce but in today's technology word gets around fast if you shoot more than 1 buck.

Top Bottom