Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

3 to 4 years old ??????

I have seen the biggest jumps from 3 to 4, some 50-70 inches, but I also have seen bucks stay pretty common year to year, putting on just a little at a time, then at 6 or so put on drops and other cool stuff, after being totally typical untill then.

I've also noticed that almost every deer that gets posted, the majority of replies are "He is a 3 year old, give him another year". While their are alot of 3 year olds posted alot of them appear to me to be older.

In 2007 I shot a deer I ended up finding I had pictures of only three days before I shot him. What I figured out was in the picture he looked nice but I was looking for a bigger deer. In the picture I figured he would be 3 or 4 however after I put him on the ground and looked him over I realized he was around 5. Trail cameras have been a great addition to our hunting packs and have helped us figure out deer habits and be able to study them. With that being said they only give us an "idea" of what they are and we need to be able to scout them in the field with optics and then try to move in close while hunting in a tree stand and really look them over before we can completely judge them. With our final judgement is while they are lying on the ground can we completely tell their age. Like someone said before the only other way is to watch them grow year to year.

Thanks guys all of your serious opinions are appreciated. I agree that those are the reasons we see the answer 3 and 4 the most thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

For me, it's very difficult to tell age beyond mature. This is my oldest known deer @ age 8.5. His rack has changed very little since 3.5. I hope he don't make it to 9.5!
986-dsc00867_original.jpg

Top Bottom