Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Primitive Turkey

Shovelbuck

What a season so far! Our season opened here March 25, and I've been hard at it when I could. Between rain, snow, and horrifying winds, it finally came together yesterday evening. With the turkey numbers down from years past in my area, I was beginning to have my doubts about even getting an archery tag. Glad I did.
Since I really enjoy photographing my turkeys, I usually leave in the evenings an hour before sundown. I just wouldn't have enough light for good photos otherwise. Yesterday when I left, I told my wife that I was going to put them to bed. I thought that if need be, I could fillet the bird and take photos today. Luckily, I didn't need to do that as this bird came in at 6:00 PM, giving me plenty of time for photos.

The hunt...................
It was too windy to even consider putting up the blind so I found a good natural one where I hoped the birds would come through. I had two new Cabelas decoys out, A jake and hen. The wind was blowing the hen in circles and I had fears that it would spook any birds that may see it. I called sparingly and never once had anything answer. With the wind blowing 40 mph I had little hope.
All of a sudden it went from about falling asleep to full alert when I caught movement to my left at about eight yards. It was a hen, followed by about six others with two jakes bringing up the rear.
My setup couldn't of been better. I was tucked up in a deadfall and the birds route was taking them behind a bunch of other brush. When the first jake disappeared behind the brush, I came to full draw. As he stepped into the open I sent the flint tipped cedar arrow into the vitals and in about twenty yards it was over. He was even polite enough not to break my arrow!
Not my biggest bird, but one of the most satisfying.

aaa.JPG

headin_out_1.JPG

I still have a shotgun tag, so maybe I can get lucky and fill it before May 18th.

Jay,

Great story and awesome pics. I was looking forward to reading this story and seeing the pics. Congratulations. A well earned bird to say the least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now thats cool! Congrats Jay! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

</div></div>

What he said.

Great photos and a heck of a hunt. Not sure how many people can put that notch on their belt but I bet it isn't too many.

Congrats

Kratz

Jay, you are the man. That is seriously awesome. Not wearing an ounce of camo, no blind, and shooting a long bow with flint tipped arrows - simply amazing. You put to shame any of the "must haves" on the market for turkey hunting and prove that location and patience are usually the key in any hunt. Congrats man. I'm seriously impressed.

You're one of a kind Jay and I must say I'm not surprised one bit at your success! Truly amazing, WOW! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jay, you are the man. That is seriously awesome. Not wearing an ounce of camo, no blind, and shooting a long bow with flint tipped arrows - simply amazing. You put to shame any of the "must haves" on the market for turkey hunting and prove that location and patience are usually the key in any hunt. Congrats man. I'm seriously impressed. </div></div>

What he said!! Way to go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jay, you are the man. That is seriously awesome. Not wearing an ounce of camo, no blind, and shooting a long bow with flint tipped arrows - simply amazing. You put to shame any of the "must haves" on the market for turkey hunting and prove that location and patience are usually the key in any hunt. Congrats man. I'm seriously impressed.</div></div>

Awesome, awesome, awesome! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Great pics.

Top Bottom