Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Just wondering if you were happy with the chinquapin seedlings from Reeseville Ridge?

They were what was expected and what I was told would be showing up. The seedlings were very cheap too so time will tell how they work out.

Good to here... Never heard of that nursery before and its only 30 mins from my house... Thanks for all of the info on this subject you guys sure know your oak trees!

Good to here... Never heard of that nursery before and its only 30 mins from my house... Thanks for all of the info on this subject you guys sure know your oak trees!

Have placed a few orders from Reeseville Ridge and was pleased with everything I have received thus far. :way:

Does the age of the tree make any difference as to how well the acorns will grow? I have friend with a 10-12 year old swamp white oak that has been producing a limited supply of acorns for the past couple of years. Will the acorns from the young tree grow as well as acorns from a mature oak?

I have been doing this project with my daughter over the winter. A couple weeks ago we went ahead and planted a few of the acorns that were sprouting roots into the Rootmakers. They are sitting in front of a SW facing window. How long is typical before I will see growth above ground? I am a little worried she enjoys watering too much, so trying to let them go a little bit.

Does the age of the tree make any difference as to how well the acorns will grow? I have friend with a 10-12 year old swamp white oak that has been producing a limited supply of acorns for the past couple of years. Will the acorns from the young tree grow as well as acorns from a mature oak?

They should, the bigger the acorn, the better it does overall some studies have found. It gets a jumpstart on the smaller acorn types.

They should, the bigger the acorn, the better it does overall some studies have found. It gets a jumpstart on the smaller acorn types.

Sorry, I'm an idiot and didn't follow the reply.:eek: So........will the smaller acorns from the young swamp white oak tree grow OK or should I collect from a more mature swamp white oak tree. You might have to use small words for me to understand.:grin: (slam on me, not you!)

Sorry, I'm an idiot and didn't follow the reply.:eek: So........will the smaller acorns from the young swamp white oak tree grow OK or should I collect from a more mature swamp white oak tree. You might have to use small words for me to understand.:grin: (slam on me, not you!)

They should grow just fine, collect them in mid September (at least for my area) and you should be good to go. :way:

Thanks!:way:

What I meant earlier is the bigger acorns off the same tree will get a jump start as opposed to smaller sized acorns off the same tree. They just have more energy in the acorn to start with so that is what I would collect if I were you.

What I meant earlier is the bigger acorns off the same tree will get a jump start as opposed to smaller sized acorns off the same tree. They just have more energy in the acorn to start with so that is what I would collect if I were you.

That makes sense, thanks again!;)

Big difference in growth between the fall planted and rootmaker grown seedlings and I am curious as all get out how long term growth will compare but...I have an idea which one will win out... :way:

The relentless rains last year no doubt put a hurting on the direct seeded acorns...unless they were in well drained soils. Some of the DCO's I planted from acorns made it to 1.5 feet tall by fall, while others are maybe 4 inches tall. Many more were planted as acorns this fall (DCO's, NRO's, American Chestnuts etc) it will be interesting to see what the germiantion percentage is this year as opposed to last.

One this is for certain, the rootmakers take that out of the equation...come a monsoon or drought. :way:

My daughter and I celebrated tonight. Three tiny sprouts are starting to show through the dirt. One each of three different varieties. Planted on 2/22. Thanks to you guys who provided all the knowledge!

picture.php

Last edited:
My daughter and I celebrated tonight. Three tiny sprouts are starting to show through the dirt. One each of three different varieties. Planted on 2/22. Thanks to you guys who provided all the knowledge!

picture.php

Careful, it gets addicting. :grin:

Do you have to crack the acorns when planting

Question for the experts. I frigerated some red oaks I picked up last fall and plan to plant in cells. New to all of this so do I just plant the acorn in the potting soil or do I need to open the shell first if not sprouting. How deep do you place the acorn in the cells. As far as moving them outdoors once they take off, how warm does it need to stay at night? Also, if there is ice in the bags did they get too cold in the frig. My garage got a little cold lately due to the cold weather here in south Dakota.

Question for the experts. I frigerated some red oaks I picked up last fall and plan to plant in cells. New to all of this so do I just plant the acorn in the potting soil or do I need to open the shell first if not sprouting. How deep do you place the acorn in the cells. As far as moving them outdoors once they take off, how warm does it need to stay at night? Also, if there is ice in the bags did they get too cold in the frig. My garage got a little cold lately due to the cold weather here in south Dakota.

No need to do anything but plant them about an inch deep but you can place them in a tray of potting soil first and plant only the ones that sprout, into the RM cells.

I start moving them outdoors into the sun and wind asap when it stays well above freezing and I move them into the garage on nights when a frost is expected.

Once you get the acorns out they should germinate within a week or so but I doubt a little ice would have hurt them...after all they are exposed to plenty of it in the wild...;)

New to the forum and new to planting oaks. I am in need of some good information, so I am hoping you guys can help me out. I have read most of the previous posts about oak and tree plantings, and need some more information. Going to give you a little background about the ranch so hopefully you can help me out. My ranch is located in south central south dakota and has no oaks on or around it, so I figured I better get some going. The soil is not near the quality of Iowa soil and consits of clay, sandy mix. We do have some areas that are wet, but the majority gets dry in the summer. Looking at planting around 40 Dwarf Chinkapin and Burgambel. I am also going to plant 20 or so Bur Oaks, 30 Burenglish, and 20 Schuettes in the areas that do not drain as much. Wondering what you guys with more experience think these trees will do with the soil type, moisture, and location. I am also looking at either getting these trees from Morse Nursery or Oikos Nursery. Any thoughts or help would be great. Thanks in advance

Greg

Welcome to IW Greg! I think your making some great choices although you may eventually want to include some red oaks as well. I think all oaks should be fairly well adapted to your area. All of mine have come from Oikos or Idaho State nursery and they have performed very well.

You might send a note to Ken at Oikos and mention your climate and soils and ask for more advice from him as well. My soil is pretty poor and mostly red clay where I plant them and the trees do very well.

Consider tubing them and using weed control and they should do great :way:

Top Bottom