Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Does anyone know any suppliers who are still offering the DCO's? I've looked at the ones mentioned and everyone appears to be out or not listed. I haven't called any of them buy maybe that would help? No biggie, I'm just starting out with this and will know better to order earlier :)

Thanks for all the valuable information everyone posts here!

I was just at Reeseville Ridge Nursery picking up 200 white oaks to give out at my up coming wedding... Didn't see this post until now otherwise i would have asked about DCO's... I know I bought some there earlier this year and they look great... http://www.reesevilleridgenursery.com/4.html

So I just order some supplies through BRT's site. I got a couple of the 18 cell trays, flats, trays and some of the 5" rootmaker bags. I can't wait to start trying this with my kids :) I decided to just stay local for acorns while I'm just starting out. I've got a white oak (pretty sure, will you tell me for sure from the attached pics?) that has acorns on it now. I've also got an Uncle in SE Iowa that will send me some if they are dropping as well.

I should get in the habit of trying to do things on the cheap as I've found what an expensive hobby all of this wildlife habitat work is :) So much fun and educational too!

Attachments

• 2012-08-30 18.07.15.jpg
    2012-08-30 18.07.15.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 2012-08-30 18.06.32.jpg
    2012-08-30 18.06.32.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 2012-08-30 18.06.41.jpg
    2012-08-30 18.06.41.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
So I've been taking my boys around and collecting acorns. We also have found some that are pretty young sprouts. My questions are these. What is the best way to transplant very young white oaks that look to have just sprouted this spring/summer. We've got access to some white, swamp, red and bur. And I'd like to move some of them onto my property. Thanks for any input!

So I've been taking my boys around and collecting acorns. We also have found some that are pretty young sprouts. My questions are these. What is the best way to transplant very young white oaks that look to have just sprouted this spring/summer. We've got access to some white, swamp, red and bur. And I'd like to move some of them onto my property. Thanks for any input!

Wait til they are dormant this fall and then you should be able to transplant although you might need to tube them to protect them.

A friend shared this with me...

I just wanted to let you know there's two people selling Dunstan Chestnut nuts on ebay right now. If you search on dunstan chestnut the dealer ret504 sells them in 5 pound boxes for $26 including shipping. I bought some last week. Received 200 nuts.

The other seller lists them as dunston chestnuts and sells them for $3.00 pound with $11 shipping. Another QDMA member received those and was happy.

I'm not having any luck catching the eBay guy. I just got notified that Oikos is not selling chestnut seeds this year due to poor crop. If anyone finds a source for DCO or any kind of chestnut instead of plain Chinese let me know. Seems like the drought put a damper on many sources.

Does anyone know if this type of container is effective at starting oaks from acorns?

View attachment 1508

A good friend did use the container and grew several bur oaks. He kept them on his deck, otherwise the squirrels will hammer them.

A lot of work as you have to water it and then he kept them downstairs in his basement near a window in the winter

Does anyone know if this type of container is effective at starting oaks from acorns?

One of the main purposes of this thread is to show the outstanding advantages of starting oaks and chestnuts in Rootmaker cells. It's not just a "container" but sets the pattern for the root system from a seedling for...life! Roots are air pruned rather then a mass of weak roots.

This will result is far faster growth and allow trees to start producing mast at a far younger age then conventionally grown trees. Go back to the beginning of this thread for more info and here is the RM web site.

Rootmaker Growing Systems

Well worth the effort and I start the bulk of my trees from seed using this method now :way:

Chinkapin.jpg

IMG_5635.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I am going to fill it with red cedar seeds but experiment with a row of white oaks to see what happens.

ID Help

Hello - can anyone help me identify these please? I've been on the hunt for acorns and I'm pretty sure about some but not others. These are the kinds I think I've got here, from the left. Burr (1,2,3), ??? (4,5), English (6,7), ??? (8,9) and Chinkapin (10,11). I can post close ups if need be for any of them.

I got these from the MSU campus this evening with my wife and boys, it was a lot of fun looking around and finding them :)

Attachments

• 2012-09-14 22.27.27.jpg
    2012-09-14 22.27.27.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 248
8 and 9 look like a chinkapin oak...or maybe a swamp chestnut. Did you get acorns from the tree that produced leaves 8 and 9?

4 and 5 look like maybe a bur oak hybrid of some flavor. Have any acorns from that tree as well?

Well, here's the thing. When we picking these, I only thought we had been collecting 3 different types of oaks. But I had taken a couple leaves from each tree that we collected acorns from. So when we got home it was then that I realized we may have 4 or 5 different leaf types... So the acorns look pretty much the same between the 3, 1 gallon bags. I'm sure we can rule out that the English Oaks are what we think. But the 2 different kinds of Burr leaves both had the same looking acorns with the distinguished caps. Same went for the 2 different leaf types for the ones that I thought were only Chinkapin Oaks. I thought that because of the sharper edges and the overall pattern, but the other leaves are smaller, slightly different color, and have rounded edges (lobes) (maybe it's just younger?). The acorns look the same though. Here's a few more pics with the acorns. I'll go back and get pictures of each now that I know they are different though...

Attachments

• 2012-09-14 21.24.08.jpg
    2012-09-14 21.24.08.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 2012-09-14 21.32.30.jpg
    2012-09-14 21.32.30.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 245
  • 2012-09-14 21.31.57.jpg
    2012-09-14 21.31.57.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 241
Those pics make me think some alba x with some of the burs. You chinquapin acorns look bigger and more round than mine (which tend to be small and slender), but the leaves look dead on.

Thanks for the input on identifying those oaks! I'm going to try and get a hold of the MSU forestry services and get a positive ID on them. They seem to have them planted in sections. And maybe they have more that I didn't find :)

Are there any tips or tricks for the Burr Oaks? I've got very few that sink during the float test. They are a pain to get loose unless they come out clean or come out with a quick snap. Most seem to have dead space in them and you can hear it rattling.

Also, for all the acorns (not just the Burr) that don't sink during the float test, I have saved those in a different bag, hoping I can use them for deer food. Or are there better uses for them?

Top Bottom