Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Dwarf chinkapin oak

Collected this as an acorn 3 years ago and now it has come full circle and is producing acorns now.

CACB154A.jpg

In Omaha for a wedding this weekend and stopped by the OPPD Arboretum since they have some dwarf chinkapin oaks there.

Here r some pics of mature DCO's.

6F19D643.jpg

4280B58D.jpg

4EC7E10C.jpg

I'm jealous. I bought a few oikos dco seedlings this spring and they are struggling to even have 1 growth flush, I think only 1 plant has produced a 2nd set of leaves. They look stunted but I'm hoping they eventually pull thru.

I'm jealous. I bought a few oikos dco seedlings this spring and they are struggling to even have 1 growth flush, I think only 1 plant has produced a 2nd set of leaves. They look stunted but I'm hoping they eventually pull thru.

Some of mine r just now taking off after 3 years. Some r putting on acorns, have some patience with them of they r on a good growing site. They usually sleep the first year, creep the next and leap on year 3

These are DCO's from a central IA population (according to True Nature Farms). Going on 2 years at the farm and really starting to put on growth now. Doubled in height since last year already.
0436710C.jpg

Thanks for the reply, I won't get in a rush then. I'll look back through this thread to see what to use as fertillizer and how much.

Thanks again, this has been as fun for the kids as it has for me!:way:

I spent a few hours reading tonight and can't find the answer. What should I use to fertilize to my oaks that are growing in the 18 cell rootmakers? What should I use and how often should I use it? Thanks in advnace.:way:

I spent a few hours reading tonight and can't find the answer. What should I use to fertilize to my oaks that are growing in the 18 cell rootmakers? What should I use and how often should I use it? Thanks in advnace.:way:

I use slow release Osmocote fertilizer but as mentioned MiracleGro will also work well and i have used the MG foliar feed in addition to the slow release as well...:way:

Found a wild growing bicolor x alba hybrid!!! Hopefully it held onto those acorns!! :D

BicolorxAlba.jpg

Flaky bark says bicolor
BicolorxAlba1.jpg

Leaves say alba

BicolorxAlba2.jpg

Peduncles say bicolor

BicolorxAlba3.jpg

Does anyone know any suppliers who are still offering the DCO's? I've looked at the ones mentioned and everyone appears to be out or not listed. I haven't called any of them buy maybe that would help? No biggie, I'm just starting out with this and will know better to order earlier :)

Thanks for all the valuable information everyone posts here!

Does anyone know any suppliers who are still offering the DCO's? I've looked at the ones mentioned and everyone appears to be out or not listed. I haven't called any of them buy maybe that would help? No biggie, I'm just starting out with this and will know better to order earlier :)

They are hard to find any year seems like. Did you check with nativ nurseries? I know they were collecting acorns off their dco's already this year.

I emailed that Bob Henrickson of Nebraska Arboretum a few days ago about DCO's and haven't heard back... I really want some and haven't had any luck yet. I'll try that Native Nurseries also.

Top Bottom