Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Age and score

Mass doesn't actually add that much to the score. He's got great brows, at least 7 inches which really helps. He has good tine length in the 4's. I think there is a lot of people way under judging this deer. He has 15 scoreable points.

What? Mass measurements definitely have a significant effect on the score.

I'm curious as to how some of you are coming up with 140's? Not a debate, just curious.

Here's what I have for measurement estimates, and this is pretty conservative.

Beams 22+22 = 44
Spread 16
Mass 26 (which would be 4 at the bases and 3 the rest of the way out, making 13 per side which is very small)
1's 8 + 8 = 16
2's 10 + 10 =20
3's 10+ 10 = 20
4's 6 + 6 = 12
abnormals 8 (probably low)

Those measurement alone would be 162" and some of those are probably low (mass and 1's)

Just curious as to how some of you are scoring? :way:

I'm curious as to how some of you are coming up with 140's? Not a debate, just curious.

Here's what I have for measurement estimates, and this is pretty conservative.

Beams 22+22 = 44
Spread 16
Mass 26 (which would be 4 at the bases and 3 the rest of the way out, making 13 per side which is very small)
1's 8 + 8 = 16
2's 10 + 10 =20
3's 10+ 10 = 20
4's 6 + 6 = 12
abnormals 8 (probably low)

Those measurement alone would be 162" and some of those are probably low (mass and 1's)

Just curious as to how some of you are scoring? :way:

Ok, I'll bite I think he has a 140"ish frame with 9-12" of extras. I've never been a fan of the field scoring strategy of guessing each individual tine and adding it all up. I think if you misjudge the first tines you guess, the rest will be the same but I'll do it anyway.

I compared this deer to a deer that I know scores 168 2/8 gross non-typical, yes it's a little higher than your guesses, but it will work. I didn't score this deer myself, it was scored by an official scorer, so there was no bias. lol

-This deer I'll say main beams of 21 and 21=42
-I'll agree on spread of 16.
-The 168inch deer had 29" of mass (crappy I know lol) I think this deer is comparable but his left side especially is very spindly. I give him 27"
-Tine lengths I think are all an inch less than what you guessed.
1's:14
2's:18
3's:18
4's:10
-I don't see there being anymore than 9" of abnormals.

So adding all that up I get 154" I will admit that is a little more than I thought, but not much more.

I think that the fact that these pictures are big enough to be a wall mural on the side of the local drug store is making them tough to judge. Even zooming out they are still big... on my computer they are anyway.

That's my opinion, not trying to stir anything up. If alh09 doesn't shoot this buck this year, maybe he can scoop up the sheds and we can find out.:way:

Great brows good 2s, 3s, and 4s. I'm saying just short of 160. I would also bet my brothers left nut that baby-face is fooling a few. I'm going with mature deer, stick him and prove me right.

Okay here are smaller pics.

jdpk.jpg

j0hd.jpg

ei12.jpg

fy4p.jpg

The lateral line on the bottom of his neck is pretty defined and he is very well filled out for a 3.5 year old.

I would guess maybe 4- I think he has two more years of growing and amazing potential- I would guess low 150's now- but could blow up

if he walked under my stand an arrow would be flying though! Goodluck!!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom