Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Albia Buck"

G

confused.gif
I was wondering if anybody has heard anymore anout the Albia buck featured in North American Whitetial?
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by primetime (edited 02-12-2002).]

Not a thing. I'm still trying to track down rumors. I guess next weekend some questions will probably be answered at the classic.

were the sheds from this year? will they be at the show? do you know who recovered the sheds?

From what I understand, they were from this spring. The deer was wounded during shotgun, which would cause it to drop early. I suppose everybody and their dog were out looking for them. Last years sheds are owned by Brian Lindberg and will be at the classic, according to an earlier thread in the shed forum. I don't know who found the sheds this spring, or even if it is true. We'll have to wait till this weekend.

If lindberg did find those sheds just think of what it will do for his business.

I hope the sheds were found by someone else since my property borders 200+ acres that Brian Lindberg owns. He also leases the ground on one side of mine. All I need is everyone and their brother wanting to hunt in my neck of the woods.

Hey JD, don't really want to doubt your post about the value of the Albia sheds but it does seem really really extreem. Consider this; the Minnesota Monarch sheds sold, along with two other sets from this same deer (which were all B&C sized sheds) for only $50,000. Stewart valentine from Colorado purchased them. When these sheds came up for sale, just about every big named collector out there had a chance at them. They went to "highest offer", in other words it was a bidding war. I do believe that you posted as you had heard, but I really think that somewhere along the line the price was exagerated. But then again, there are those out there that do have more money then common sense. In reality very few antlers are going to ever sell for the prices we hear about.

I heard from a reliable source, Lindbergh bought the sheds from a person who found them for $8,500.00. Don't get me wrong, they are worth it. Yet, I do think it is a sort of false advertisement for a hunting outfitter to place the shed's on their website and say "Check out our recent find". I know where these sheds were found, I personally know a guy that missed this deer at 30 yards with his bow and I personally know the pictures were taken by someone who wasn't suppose to be on the property. If the guy who had missed the buck with his bow would have only taken him, there would have been a lot less rumors floating around southern Iowa. So, to the person who has land beside Lindberg's, I hope you don't have too many problems this next year on people chasing after a non-existent "World Record" on Soap Creek Outfitters ground near you......
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dc240nt:
Hey JD, don't really want to doubt your post about the value of the Albia sheds but it does seem really really extreem. Consider this; the Minnesota Monarch sheds sold, along with two other sets from this same deer (which were all B&C sized sheds) for only $50,000. Stewart valentine from Colorado purchased them. When these sheds came up for sale, just about every big named collector out there had a chance at them. They went to "highest offer", in other words it was a bidding war. I do believe that you posted as you had heard, but I really think that somewhere along the line the price was exagerated. But then again, there are those out there that do have more money then common sense. In reality very few antlers are going to ever sell for the prices we hear about. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so are you saying this buck is still running around? Are you also saying that the photos in NAW were taking illegally?

Maybe it is just me, but there is no way I would pay even $10 for antlers that I did not find or harvest myself. I always wonder why people buy them. Do they sit back and tell stories about how the won them in an auction on E-Bay?

Yes, the photo's were taken illegally. I saw the picture in Ottumwa at the One Hour Photo shop and asked who the picture belonged to. They told me it was copyrighted and I was not allowed to know who the owner is. Furthermore, read you article again, it says Lindberg was at his office and he was contacted by a friend who told him of their find. All indications as well as info received says he bought them. Plus, look at the mowed paths were the deer is standing. The paths were mowed, but those taking the pictures did not have permission to be there. Boy, everytime I think about this my blood gets to boilin'. It upsets me someone would use the false advertisement on a website to gain more clients for upcoming hunts.

I have hunted Iowa and Missouri all of my life. I have seen guys from "Big Cities" in Missouri trade their high powered rifle and a couple hundred in cash for a 140 inch buck just so they can take it home and tell everyone they killed it. You would not believe all of the deer in Missouri that are shot and sold or traded off, so an executive in KC or St. Louis who has never hunted, can take home a head to put on their office wall.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smokepole:
Maybe it is just me, but there is no way I would pay even $10 for antlers that I did not find or harvest myself. I always wonder why people buy them. Do they sit back and tell stories about how the won them in an auction on E-Bay?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree with you. i was wondering if the NT featured in NAW was taken this year or was another big NT taken. I'm sure you know all about the controversy surrounding this deer. alot has been rumored about when and how the deer was killed. if u dont want to respond i understand. just curious. thanks

Full-strut's comments are true and facual, the deer was video-taped and photographed illegally, and the mowing was done without permission. Further more, the two individual's involved with this deer featured in North American Whitetail are no longer speaking to each other. This deer did not come from any leased ground that this outfitter has rights on.

rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by primetime (edited 02-12-2002).]

I'm jumping out "there" because rumors on any big deer make the sport that much more fun. In this case,it's unfortunate that the rumors have bled into controversy and unethical ways of promoting one's own pocket book. Not to mention all the illegal trespassing on private ground.

[This message has been edited by passthru (edited 02-11-2002).]

Top Bottom