Alfalfa

petherss

Anyone have pictures of what YOUNG alfalfa looks like (no Little Rascals pics please.....)? Or what clover looks like in early growth. I planted a rye/oats/alfalfa/clover mix which is doing well- but I have a lot of something coming up and don't know what it is- never planted alfalfa before. Thanks guys!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have pictures of what YOUNG alfalfa looks like (no Little Rascals pics please.....)? Or what clover looks like in early growth. I planted a rye/oats/alfalfa/clover mix which is doing well- but I have a lot of something coming up and don't know what it is- never planted alfalfa before. Thanks guys!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have one of just alfalfa but look at the pics of new clover seedlings in the clover thread and the alfalfa will be real close when it's small.

Clover pg 6

Thanks dbltree. I have a nice little plot growing well since the floods headed our way. I may have gone a little heavy on the clover+alfalfa, but I wanted this to be my perennial plot. I'm happy to say that the deer are hammering it already! Although, it might be the rye/oats (planted a little early- oops) that are pulling them in right now. Can I mow the rye to keep it drawing deer? Or doesn't it work like clover/alfalfa?

Here is what the rye/clover/alf plot looks like. I can't tell the difference between clover and alfalfa at this stage (maybe I don't have any alfalfa??). Also, I think I may have seeded a TOUCH thick? ha.
3855foodplot8_27_07b-med.JPG

Is it a good idea to mow if you have a cover crop like rye- so that the alfalfa/clover get more sun? I've heard that the rye makes a good mulch for next spring, but thought maybe it it hurting the alfalfa's growth right now. Thanks
BC

I decided against a Spring plot this year, so I had plenty of time to spray for weeds. Then my neighbor came over with his 4 bottom plow and turned the soil. Then used his disc to break up the bigger chunks when it dried out a touch. I ran over it a couple times with my cultipacker to break up the bigger chunks (clay) and firm up the seed bed.
I then broadcast 200# of 19-19-19, then the seed. The smaller seed I just broadcast and then cultipacked and called good. The rye/oats, i broad casted then drug a chain linked fence over, then cultipacked. after that i broadcasted the clover and alflafa, cultipacked again.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it a good idea to mow if you have a cover crop like rye- so that the alfalfa/clover get more sun? I've heard that the rye makes a good mulch for next spring, but thought maybe it it hurting the alfalfa's growth right now. Thanks
BC

[/ QUOTE ]

The rye or oats shouldn't get that tall this time of year to be a problem.

Thanks Dbltree. The problem is, I planted early (Aug 8) for the sake of the clover and alfalfa. Now the rye is 12"-18" tall. You have to comb thru the rye/oats to see the alfalfa and clover. Nothing is dying so far, so I guess it's ok.

Back