Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

All neighboring states allow more NRs

OrionWhitetails

Folks,

Here is another FACT (i.e., not spin) from the report entitled "A Review Of Iowa's Deer Management Program" given to the Iowa Legislature from the Iowa Deer Advisory Committee (see table 5, page 39)...

Seven of 9 states neighboring Iowa do not have <u>ANY</u> quota on the number of non-resident deer licenses issued. The 2 states that do have NR license quotas, Illinois and Kansas, have NR tag quotas 4-5 times higher than Iowa's. Illinois makes available 25,000 any-sex tags, while Kansas makes available around 32,000 any-sex tags.

Combined, EVERY state surrounding Iowa is more liberal in the number of NR tags issued. In fact, every state in the U.S. is more liberal in the issuance of NR white-tailed deer licenses!

Has this resulted in a reduction in older-aged, large-antlered bucks within our neighboring states? Absolutely not, in fact several states have now bypassed Iowa in the production and harvest of B&C-sized whitetails, including our neighbors Illinois & Wisconsin!

Come on guys, let's not blame NR's for everything under the sun and let's not grossly exaggerate facts to create spin in your favor!

If the other states are so good then why would you want to hunt Iowa? Or why would you be leasing in Iowa? Why do you want to change Iowa's laws? Why aren't you packing up and staking out a place in Illinois or Wisconsin? Land prices too high? Hunting pressure too much? Just wondering....

I can’t quote B&C or P&Y records because I don’t really care. It is about the hunt not the antlers, big antlers are just a bonus. The spin on this one is you didn’t say how many acres of public access those states have. Iowa has considerably less acres of public hunting than the others.

And to save me from looking it up, did Iowa sell all their NR tags this year? I know we didn’t in 2007-2008. Why increase the quota if tags are going unsold? Oh that’s right it isn’t about the hunt, it’s about the bone.

The ‘Bonker

Mickey,

Honestly, and I don't care if you take offense to this, but you're a joke.

You don't give a $hit about herd management in Iowa. All you care about is making more $!

If you think the other states are so great, then quit leasing your thousands of acres of ground here in Iowa.

I personally know your former 'ground manager' who used to help you with your leasing operations, and i've heard plenty of stories about you. How you only come back a couple of times a year, and that the majority of the ground that you lease sits idle until shotgun season when you bring your group of 10 hunters in from Texas to shoot the first 120 they see. Oh yeah, he also told me how you and your 'hunters' hardly shoot any does each year.

If you want, I will call him and get the exact facts, but i've heard plenty from the locals in the area.

How many does did you and your 'clients' harvest last year on your leased 5000+ acres of ground? I could probably find out.

If the DNR was smart they would use landowners/leasers like you as an example of what will happen if the NR floodgates open.

Go ahead and spread your BS on this site, and keep trying to brainwash people. As for the majority of us here, we can see right through you, and we can tell that all you care about is the monetary gain in which YOU will receive if the tag allocations rise.

"all neighboring states allow more NRs"

1. who cares what other states do. this is iowa, we are, what we are, for a reason

2. and yet people still want to come here, instead of those states. and you would have us allow you to drag our state down to their level, just so you are your group of fatcats can turn a profit at iowa's expense

3. then maybe you should move your operations to these states, where you can ruin their natural resources further.

troll.jpg

The overall deer herd numbers are much lower than the surrounding states, therefore Iowa has to regulate the number of hunters. In order for Iowa to maintain it's status as a great trophy deer destination then the DNR has to regulate the hunter numbers in this state.
States without a nonresident quota have on average 5% of their deer hunters from out of state each year. In Iowa 5.2% of nonresidents make up the deer hunter numbers therefore Iowa is actually higher percentage wise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LIV4RUT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the other states are so good then why would you want to hunt Iowa? Or why would you be leasing in Iowa? Why do you want to change Iowa's laws? Why aren't you packing up and staking out a place in Illinois or Wisconsin? Land prices too high? Hunting pressure too much? Just wondering....

</div></div>

EXACTLY!!

Go join another website lobbyist. You're a joke, plain and simple.

i do want to thank you mickey. your stupid posts have reminded me to write my legislators, and ask them; what would ever posess a legislator, to vote in favor of legislation brought forth, and benefiting a group of people who never voted for them, will never vote for them, and don't even live in the state?

to me, it leans towards corruption. i know if my legislator voted against the wishes of the voters in my area, i might think he was bought

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KabNam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The overall deer herd numbers are much lower than the surrounding states, therefore Iowa has to regulate the number of hunters. In order for Iowa to maintain it's status as a great trophy deer destination then the DNR has to regulate the hunter numbers in this state.
States without a nonresident quota have on average 5% of their deer hunters from out of state each year. In Iowa 5.2% of nonresidents make up the deer hunter numbers therefore Iowa is actually higher percentage wise.
</div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Yeah the only difference is Mickey you don't have 5000 acres tied up in any of these other states. How many does did you kill in Iowa last year?

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The overall deer herd numbers are much lower than the surrounding states, therefore Iowa has to regulate the number of hunters. In order for Iowa to maintain it's status as a great trophy deer destination then the DNR has to regulate the hunter numbers in this state.
</div></div>

I agree with the above statements. Iowa, from a habitat standpoint, has no where near the overall acreage of deer habitat compared to most neighboring states (MO, IL, WI, MN) as examples. If the NR quotas are raised it will bring more overall NR hunting pressure to the state (some in the form of landowners, some in the form of outfitters). Many IL residents, including Don Higgins just this past weekend at the Classic, have told me that the IA quota must be maintained to retain the quality of Iowa's deer herd in the future. IL is a prime example of a deer herd totally out of control due to the influences of NR hunting.

Also, it cannot be disputed that the the state's herd has been effectively reduced mainly by the RESIDENT hunting community. The main hotspots of overpopulation in our state mirror those areas of the state in which large tracts of recreational land are controlled or owned by non-resident landowners and/or owned by resident landowners. An increase in the NR quota will increase those large acre recreational tracts and compound the growth of the overpopulation hotspots. The argument that an increase in the NR quota should be done for deer herd management purposes is really hard to believe coming from someone with your extensive wildlife management background.

I disagree wholeheartedly with FOI's goals and agenda.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OrionWhitetails: let's not grossly exaggerate facts to create spin in your favor! </div></div>

You should listen to yourself every once in a while!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OrionWhitetails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let's not grossly exaggerate facts to create spin in your favor! </div></div>

thats_the_pot_calling_the_kettle_black.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris Ellis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many does did you kill in Iowa last year?

</div></div>

It would be a miracle if Mickey answered this question truthfully.....

If he does, it will be a lie.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come on guys, let's not blame NR's for everything under the sun </div></div>

How are we blaming NRs by any means? So far you're the only NR I really can't stand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sureshot1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> you're a joke.

</div></div>

Mr.orion,

It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for you, isn't it?

Here is a FACT for you. Only about 350,000 acres of iowa is public ground. Less than 1%. (from the DNR report on sustainable funding, page 9, paragraph 1 http://www.iowadnr.gov/sustainablefunding/files/econ_study.pdf )

How does that compair to our neighbors?

Increase the non-resident quota and the regular guy out there non-resident and resident alike who doesn't own a bunch of ground or is able to drop $5,000 on a guided hunt will suffer.

Why again didn't you buy a bunch of ground in Western Illinois????? How about Minnesota or Wisconsin, since our neigbors do such a great job with their herd management why didn't you buy there?

Had to take a look at your profile. It seems to be right on! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

M. Hellickson

Occupation: Wildlife Biologist, B.S. in Research Science (Heavy on the B.S.)
Hobbies: Hunting & managing deer, POT STIRRING S.O.B.

Over the years we've survived many ill intentioned wind bags such as yourself, and we'll survive you too. So as they say, don't go away mad, just go away. Peace...

Ask resident hunters from Illinois and Kansas how they feel about everything that has happened in their states. All I ever hear is how the over population of non res hunters has ruined hunting in these states for people who do not own their own land. I also think that coming to this site and picking fights is a bunch of crap.

IWT'lrs. Why does this self serving knucklehead think he has to post a bonehead argument here? Maybe because there's some people in DSM listening to our argument and postion on NR issues.

Please support the IBA to help beat down Friends of Iowa and any other groups like them.

Orion. You have a nice job with the King Ranch. Stay there.

Top Bottom