Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

All neighboring states allow more NRs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sureshot1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris Ellis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many does did you kill in Iowa last year?

</div></div>

It would be a miracle if Mickey answered this question truthfully..... </div></div>

Agreed on this point too! The majority of these posts from Mickey start and end with his original "fact" post. I don't think I've seen one rebuttal from him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moosehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IWT'lrs. Why does this self serving knucklehead think he has to post a bonehead argument here? Maybe because there's some people in DSM listening to our argument and postion on NR issues.

Please support the IBA to help beat down Friends of Iowa and any other groups like them.

Orion. You have a nice job with the King Ranch. Stay there. </div></div>

I think there's a lot of truth in your statement Moose........../forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I can understand how he gets under everyones skin with these silly posts, I do think they do it to stir the pot and then hope they can take something to the DNR to use against us.

The cold hard facts are this guys, hunting as we know it today is in danger. If those of you thast are sitting on the fence don't start contacing the powers to be and get any fellow hunters to do the same some day they are going to get the changes they want. Then like I've said before on here they will pick up and leave us with the carnage. Off to the next whitetail mecca to conquor.

Now is the time to act, I'm not telling you to join the IBA but folks they are the one steady voice that has been fighting for our rights for several years. Well I guess I am telling you to join them. Encourage friends and family to get involved before it's too late. Posting messages on the web is great to get us fired up, but it really won't help us. Make those phone calls and send those emails to the powers to be.

Really what I think what needs to be done is for some one to draft a polite and to the point letter and then it could be down loaded by everyone and they could put their contact info in it and send to those who will and better listen to us.

I wished I could compose it. Act now guys or it will be too late!

Chris

Since we are comparing Iowa to other states, let me throw out these facts out about Illinois.Just to make sure I'm not spinning anything.This info was taken was taken by Human Dimensions Research for the Ill. DNR. If you like stats and graphs you'll love this 55 page document.Just go to Ill. DNR website.

After reading some of that doc, Ill. can keep what they are doing and Iowa should keep on doing what we do and have. IMO

Document is called:
2006-07 Nonresident Deer Hunter Survey.

Sorry my scanner took a dump on me, had to take a photo.

IMG_4424.jpg

That document in itself should be copied to our emails to our legislators and other contacts IMO. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Leave Kansas out of this bud, we have messed our hunting up beyond recognition! The neighboring states should be changing things, NOT IOWA!!!!!!

LIV4RUT,

I hunt Iowa because (in order of priority)... (1) I co-own land in Iowa; (2) my brothers & majority of relatives live in Iowa & I like to hunt with them; (3) I'm from Iowa where I spent the first half of my life; and (4) I like hunting big-antlered, big-bodied, older-aged bucks.

Fishbonker,

You bring up an interesting point regarding percent of public land in Iowa & our neighboring states. The following is information taken directly from a report you helped to prepare for the Iowa Legislature as a member of the Iowa Deer Advisory Committee (see page 38, table 4)...

Iowa - 1.5% public
Illinois - 5%
Indiana - 5%
Kansas - 2.5-3%
Minnesota - 25%
Missouri - 7%
Nebraska - 2%
Ohio - 5%
SD - 12.5%
Wisconsin - 15%

As you can see, only MN, WI, & SD have a lot of public ground relative to Iowa, while IL, IN, KS, MO, NE, & OH are in nearly the same situation as Iowa.

You should review your own facts a little more carefully in the future & not try so hard to spin things in your favor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OrionWhitetails</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fishbonker,

You bring up an interesting point regarding percent of public land in Iowa & our neighboring states. The following is information taken directly from a report you helped to prepare for the Iowa Legislature as a member of the Iowa Deer Advisory Committee (see page 38, table 4)...

Iowa - 1.5% public
Illinois - 5%
Indiana - 5%
Kansas - 2.5-3%
Minnesota - 25%
Missouri - 7%
Nebraska - 2%
Ohio - 5%
SD - 12.5%
Wisconsin - 15%

As you can see, only MN, WI, & SD have a lot of public ground relative to Iowa, while IL, IN, KS, MO, NE, & OH are in nearly the same situation as Iowa.

You should review your own facts a little more carefully in the future & not try so hard to spin things in your favor. </div></div>How do you come to the conclusion that Iowa is even close to equal to the rest of the states? Even if you doubled the 1.5% that your figures show; you come up with 3%. Please!!

KabNam,

Unfortunately, you are completely wrong about the deer density in Iowa relative to our neighboring states. Once again, to avoid being accused of spewing spin, I will quote from the report entitled "A Review Of Iowa's Deer Management Program" given to the Iowa Legislature from the Iowa Deer Advisory Committee (see page 37, table 1)...

Iowa - current deer population of 330,000 (post) to 475,000 (pre)
Illinois - 750-800,000
Indiana - none calculated
Kansas - 350,000
Minnesota - 1.2 million
Missouri - 1.4 million
Nebraska - 325,000 (pre-season)
Ohio - 700,000
S Dakota - 300,000
Wisconsin - 1.3 million

Clearly, KS, NE, and SD at least, have lower deer densities than Iowa, but KS makes 32,000 any-sex tags available, while NE & SD have no NR tag quotas!

cedar creek,

I don't understand your math? Last time I had a math class, 1.5% (or 3% if you double the amount as you suggest) is pretty close to 2% (NE) & 2.5-3% (KS)? Yet, NE has NO QUOTA on the number of NR tags & KS makes available FIVE TIMES MORE NR tags (32,000)!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clearly, KS, NE, and SD at least, have lower deer densities than Iowa, but KS makes 32,000 any-sex tags available, while NE & SD have no NR tag quotas! </div></div>

Kansas is a prime example.....it sucks when a State "sells out" it's residents to put money in the bank. As a deer biologist, I'm suprised you'd even use Kansas to make your point. Gov't GREED at it finest. Ever visit with any Kansas resident deer hunters? Maybe a few will stop in here to talk with ya. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

and people from KS are begging us to keep our regs the way they are, and not to let iowa get like it is there.

River Bttm Boy,

Are you pretending to be an expert on the situation in KS? What does it mean if a few KS visitors to IowaWhitetail complain about the deer herd in their state? How many Iowans visit this site & complain about the deer herd in Iowa?

Mickey, I wasn't on the committee, I, like your man Mike Sorensen, sat on the side lines and kept our mouths shut.

I don't have the report here at work with me. Along side the % of public land does it have how may square miles each state is and how many acres in each state is public hunting? What I'm saying is if Iowa is a smaller state than Kansas then 1.5% is a whole lot less than 3%.

You are sighting deer numbers, not densities. It is also improtant to note that soem are pre hunt and some are post hunt. But what you don't note is how each state comes up with their "estimate".

The 'Bonker

To be honest with himself Mickey should just state its all about the money. I mean if he and his buds can all kill big deer in Texas and charge big money for it why would they need to hunt Iowa and lease 1000s of acres.

Simpily its all about the money. Just tell us its all about the money and at least I could have a little respect for you and your group. But the way you folks try to spin it is just plain classless.

If you dont think its about the money, look at what they charge for hunts on King Ranch property.

http://www.king-ranch.com/hunt_pricing_2007_2008.htm

It doesnt take someone with a PHD to see right through all of you. Simpily call a spade a spade and then at least you could look yourself in the mirror.

That pricing page is perhaps the most disgusting thing I've ever seen relative to deer hunting.....

Top Bottom