Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

All the crap

My stuff:

Drove 1hr forgot bow (peak of the rut.)

Dropped bow in late Jan hunt, stay in satnd had does all around.

Climbing down with climber have 3 bucks (one shooter) walk by with me 1/2 way down!

Have dropped everything, even the stand itself, leaving me to sliver down 20 feet, it was raining, so the tree was slick!

unfortunately, noise and commotion has at times drawn bucks to me only to get busted by them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleDropTines</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif I dont know what that word is but /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif </div></div>

Oh yeah, I guess it was spelled B-I-G J-A-C-K-S-O-N. So was the wife less impressed with runnin over the bow or your "Jacksonian" issues when you were "parked"?

Or do I need to spell it out for you even more?

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont ever make stupid mistakes like that </div></div>

Me either... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

well....maybe...just once...........

Worst is forgetting my release but the most dangerous is forgetting my safety harness.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DoubleDropTines</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif I dont know what that word is but /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif </div></div>

Oh yeah, I guess it was spelled B-I-G J-A-C-K-S-O-N. So was the wife less impressed with runnin over the bow or your "Jacksonian" issues when you were "parked"?

Or do I need to spell it out for you even more?

The 'Bonker </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

This didn't affect my deer hunting, but it did down right fire me up...

My truck keys were digging into my leg one day under all my gear so I pulled them out and was going to move them into my pack where they wouldn't make noise - while doing so I look up and a slick head was on her way in and I was going to pound her....I had my keys in my right hand, left hand on the bow, and couldn't turn around to put the keys in my pack so I set them in the crotch of a big branch behind me....I got all positioned for the shot...she hung up out of range, no big deal, the hunt ends shortly after.

I walk all the way out after I had taken down my stand and climbing sticks since you can't leave them on public land overnight in MN.....get to the truck...where are my keys, yep, you guessed it....in the tree still! AAAAGH!!! Had to hike all the way back in, put the climbing sticks back up and had to put them as far apart as possible because without the stand I could hardly reach the keys. Nothing makes me more mad than doing something completely retarded like that! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

I got to the woods one time, and realized that I didn't bring my boots. It was warm enough, so I headed to my stand in my stocking feet. As long as I avoided the locust thorns, all was well. Weird feeling to hunt without boots - don't try it.

Well lets see a couple weeks ago the boy and I were sitting in his ladder stand. I figured with all the extra seat space i'd put the rangefinder on the seat. After an hour of wiggling around it fell off hit the platform then bounced off that and hit several steps on the way down. It's doesn't seem to work as good as it did.
Had the bright idea of putting my release on the string for the walk to the stand. Don't remember why but there was something that happened before this that made me think it was a good idea. Got in the stand pulled the bow up surprisingly no release. So I backed track for awhile and finally found it.
Forgot the rope to wrap around the tree for my saftey harness. I figured I was using my climber I just wouldn't go as high. Got up about 15 feet and settled in and the wind picked up. I got scared and climbed back down and went to the truck and grabbed the rope.
Also in the passed few years I went from a small fanny pack with very little in it to a bigger one full of stuff and last year I graduated to a backpack. I feel the better the hunter the more crap you have. I don't know makes me feel better when I spend 15 minutes packing crap in it.

When I was young and lived up in northern MN. Two guys from our hunting party lived in the twin cities. Well one year they came up for opening weekend more for the tall frosties then the hunting. When they got home the wives asked how the hunting went? did they get any? One of them told his wife that he gotten a shot at one but had missed, and that's when the stuff hit the fan. Seems he had left his gun behind the front door when he left. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif
At was several years before he could come play up north again. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

I had a few turkeys coming into my set up last year and decided to switch arrows on my bow. Took arrow out of quiver, set it in crotch of tree..... Took arrow off bow, set it in crotch of tree...... Saw that the original arrow I had in the crotch of the tree was the wrong arrow so I grabbed my 3rd arrow out of the quiver..... It slipped out of my hand and dropped to the ground...... I turned and bumped both my other 2 arrows out of the tree crotch.... All 3 arrows I had stuck in the ground at base of the tree

2 Toms and 3 jakes walked by at 10 yards and I had no arrows.

I've seem to have done it all,

I seem to have a tendency to let things go with the shot, once, let the bow go with the arrow, trust me the bow don't go real far mostly down...

Once got grunt laced over the arrow in the string, grunt went over the back of the deer arrow went low, nylon strings are tough, leaves one hell of a mark across your neck I thought I slit my throat.

1. Dropped everything at least once.
2. Forgot one boot(yes one boot,don't ask)
3. Lone wolf steps(the kind that attach to the stand for ease of transport)

4. Forgot bow once also and forgot arrows another time.

The list could go on and on!

I've done the thing with lowering the bow and a buck showed up too. I've dropped grunt tubes, binos, releases, jackets, hats, headnets, gloves, rattling antlers, Copenhagen, cell phone, a couple plastic water bottles and a host of other things I can't remember right now but know it's happened. A lot of my problem is that I use a large fanny pack and have 10 lbs of crap shoved into a 5 lb bag. When I reach in to pull something out, 4 other things come with it. I keep doing it the same way every year though, clearly due to being a slow learner, although a consistent one.
loser.gif

I set up a new stand the night before got there the next morning and could not find the right tree in the dark waited 15 min for enough light to find it about 20 yards away...dropped arrows out of the ladder stand hit almost every step on the way down...had to answer the call of nature couldnt hold it any longer and had a deer walk up on me about halfway done..i didnt get spooked wrightaway it just looked at me like what is this idiot doing /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...had to answer the call of nature couldnt hold it any longer and had a deer walk up on me about halfway done.. </div></div>

Not to get off topic but I firmly believe that <u>EVERY </u> pheasant hunter has experienced two things:

1.) Birds fly up when urinating
2.) Birds fly up when crossing fences and no gun

It's like an unwritten law of nature.

The best is when you are using a climber. I have gotten all set up, the ratchet strap on the top of the climber, safety belt all strapped in.......and then I drop my release. The funny part is then I would stare down at the release like if I looked real hard at it somehow it would magically fly back up to me. LOL

Good luck to everyone and be careful!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...had to answer the call of nature couldnt hold it any longer and had a deer walk up on me about halfway done.. </div></div>

Not to get off topic but I firmly believe that <u>EVERY </u> pheasant hunter has experienced two things:

1.) Birds fly up when urinating
2.) Birds fly up when crossing fences and no gun</div></div>

How bout big 'ol giant 9 pointer during shotgun season when your gun is 5 yards away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's like an unwritten law of nature. </div></div>

Some day..... Every hunter has one of these.

Lost Binos, after some thinking I decided I must have dropped them when putting my hunting equip. back in my car on a rocky field drive. Drove back the next day (40miles) to get them and ran the s.o.b.s over. Bought a more expensive replacement pair and dropped them out of my stand the first time I used them. I now have monoculars.

My cousin tried to toss my binos back to me when duck hunting out of a canoe. That uncordinated bastard!! He said "At least they float", yeah for about 2 seconds.

The very worst thing that has happened to me was about three years ago, I had a beautiful 180 class buck standing broadside at 15 yards with no Idea I was in the trees above him. I was using the same release I had shot thousands of arrows of practice shots over several years with. When I went to pull back the jaw broke off of the release and the arrow just dinked out there about five feet from the tree.

The buck then turned and walked into my shooting lane again at about twenty five yards, I had practiced shooting with fingers instead of my release so I thought I could close the deal. I took a second try at him and shot just underneath him. The sad thing was my son missed this same buck thirty minutes before me with his bow about 300 yards from where I was sitting. I guess it just wasnt his day to die.

That buck still runs our farm today even though he is on his downhill side and haunts me to this day.

Here's nother good one:

Several years ago I was hunting an abandoned stand. It was in a huge oak. The 1st 12 feet climb was courtesty of a homemade pipe ladder leaned up against the tree, the rest of the way up was climbing limbs. So I get to the stand in the dark and start pulling up the bow but it gets caught on branch or something. So I lower it and pull again, caught. Dang. So I pull a little bit harder and suddenly it's free. About that same time I hear the ladder hit the ground. Double dang. Now I'm stuck 30 feet up with no way down the last 15 feet. Using my troubleshooting skills I untied my pull rope and tied on my release and went fishing. After a few hundred missed I finally hooked a rung and actually pulled the ladder up against the tree. That's the last time I ever used the ladder.

Top Bottom