Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another (Older) New guy

Bad Medicine

Howdy all. To make a long story short, a freak incident of good luck has left me with a very nice slug gun and a lot of questions. Due to limited time and finances, I am in need of some serious advice.
To make things more clear, I am now the flabbergasted owner of a Remington 870 12-gauge with a 26" Hastings Paradox rifled barrel (I've never owned a firearm nor won anything in a raffle). I've devoured every available piece of literature I can get my hands on, but that's no substitute for first-hand experience. I live in the southwest part of Iowa, and I managed to secure my first deer tag.
Here are the problems I face:
1-I don't have access to any private land, so I believe I will head to my nearest public hunting area when Shotgun 2 opens (I have two jobs, so the limited time for Shotgun 1 seemed like a poor investment).
2-I have never hunted deer before, although I love stalking rabbits with my magnum-class air rifle. I have no friends or family who have hunted deer either.
3- I have just enough money to afford ammo, a scent-killer kit, and my one tag. No stands, no lease, no camo, no cameras. Just my de-scented old Carhartt coat and bibs (earth brown, thankfully) and Two-Ton Tess (My wife named the shotgun. It IS heavy).
Here's my ramshackle skillset: I am pretty good at tracking and stalking. I always fill my freezer with frost bunnies, and I've never used a hunting dog.
I'm a pretty good shot. I regularly head-shoot rabbits and squirrels at 50 yards, iron sights. I've taken coyotes with the same setup, but this new endeavor is quite literally a different animal.
I don't particularly care about a trophy buck. In fact, since I'm primarily after meat, I would rather take a doe. If luck puts a big boy in my sights, I will take him, but my expectations of that are realistically slim. To anyone who is willing to help out a newcomer, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new gun.

1 - Wear as much orange as you can while hunting shotgun season on Iowa Public Hunting Land. There will most likely be quite a few people out running the deer around.

2 - Since money is tight, I would not waste money on scent killer. Just hunt the wind as best as possible.

3 - If it is cold during 2nd shotgun you may be able to find a food source on public land (the DNR plants a few food plots and leaves them in). If you can research/scout some of the public out you may be able to scratch out a doe on an evening sit next to a food plot. Just put the wind in your favor and wait until last light. Some public may also butt up against private ag fields. You could sit up to intercept deer traveling from bedding on public to food on private.

Also, don't overlook the smaller pieces of public that you may not think hold deer. It doesn't have to be big timber. Some of the marshes with small draws can be good and be overlooked. You can still hunt these into the wind and kick up deer that will sometimes give you a shot.

4 - If the public is busy, the hunters will be pushing the deer around and could likely push one by you. Just make sure you know the best you can where the other hunters are and they have some idea where you are.

5 - Research online on shot placement.

6 - Research on online how to gut a deer. There are tons of videos.

7 - If you have a snow sled or something similar, use it to drag your deer to the truck. You can also call a friend or friends to help drag the deer. It can be quite a job to get a deer out of the woods by yourself if you don't have help or a sled/cart.

Most importantly (back to 1) be visible and be safe when you are shooting. Shotgun season can be pretty hectic on public land.

Good Luck and have fun!

Great to hear someone new is getting into deer hunting. don’t get too caught up in gear. You have everything you need. I would actually recommend hunting the last week of second season and/or hunting the weekdays rather than weekends to avoid people. By the end of the season there aren’t near as many hunters out pressuring the deer. Also watch the forecast for some cold days or storm fronts and try to hunt those evenings over a food source.

I'd consider going first season. More hunters choose that season and thus there are more people out pushing the deer around. As mentioned, forget the scent killer, watch the wind. Wear plenty of orange. Find a nasty, thick area and sit down with a big tree trunk to your back. Plan to sit all day opening day (Saturday) and Sunday. If you don't see something the first two days of first shotgun, you are probably aren't going to see anything the 4 weekend days of second season after the deer get pounded first season. Just my thoughts.

With a fully rifled barrel, you will want to shoot sabot slugs instead of the old Foster pumpkin style slugs. About any sabot slug should give acceptable accuracy if you are keeping shots close, but you should try some out at the range before going afield.

Ahhh, the good old days when I had just enough money for a license and a box of shells. We've all been there, right? :)

Hey, the above is good advice, especially LOTS of very bright orange. There will be slugs flying around the public ground, and we don't want to hear about you on the news.
Something else to consider...since money is tight, what will you do with a deer if you harvest one? A locker will charge around $85 just to cut up and process. Do you have a place to hang and butcher? Saves a lot of money and it's not that difficult.
This is a link to the video that got me started butchering. I've made some personal variations but this was great for getting started.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...F46C0B9EC616E53A74C2F&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT

Thank you very much, guys. A few pieces of info have come to light in the last few hours. My wife's grandparents have a farm out by Oakland they would be willing to let me hunt. Nice stand of brush overlooking corn fields, crossed by a stream with an animal barn at my back, never been hunted before. Sounds good to me. My next priorities are scouting and groupings testing. I was able to dig up an old pair of Nikon birding binos and a few combo calls that belonged to a late cousin. Two questions remain: Is calling effective post-rut? Shotgun 2 opens Dec 9th, so- other than a bit of pickup breeding- I'm thinking food plot sits are my best bet. Everything I've read says not to call, other than a bleat to stop a runner.
Also, using sabot slugs, is there an ideal weight/muzzle velocity combination that you guys have found? I'm leaning towards three-inch shells, but that still leaves some variety. Do I go for heavy hollow-point slugs (Winchester BRI, Remington Copper Solid) with lower velocity and parabolic trajectory, or lighter Nosler-type slugs (Winchester Dual Bond/ Partition Gold, Federal Trophy Copper) with higher velocity and flatter trajectory? I've heard these Paradox barrels really like BRI's, but I never got around to testing them at the range; three-inch slugs kick a lot more than target loads, and my trigger finger was going numb.
I do actually have a dedicated abattoir in my basement. So far, I've only used it for small game, but it's configurable for larger animals.
Thanks again, guys. I'm so glad I found this wonderful place!

Last edited:
2 3/4" have always worked for me, but I usually try to keep the shots close. I'm not a fan of the cost and recoil of 3".

Not sure calls will work to bring them in, might help to stop them for a shot.

No, just leave the calls at home, food and security cover should be your focus. Sounds like you have a great location to hunt. I would just use the cheap winchester sabots if I were you...2 3/4 inch are fine unless you really like getting punched in the shoulder. I like Federal trophy coppers if you’re looking at some higher end ammo, but I know lots of guys that shoot the cheaper stuff and it works just fine.

I have the exact same setup. Federal trophy copper in 3 inch have the best group. However the regular winchester foster style 2 3/4 were not far behind and are considerably cheaper. Sounds like a great setup on the private ground. As others have said, focus on food and cover. If there are deer drives around you, they will head for the thick stuff. Good luck.

Howdy all. To make a long story short, a freak incident of good luck has left me with a very nice slug gun and a lot of questions. Due to limited time and finances, I am in need of some serious advice.
To make things more clear, I am now the flabbergasted owner of a Remington 870 12-gauge with a 26" Hastings Paradox rifled barrel (I've never owned a firearm nor won anything in a raffle). I've devoured every available piece of literature I can get my hands on, but that's no substitute for first-hand experience. I live in the southwest part of Iowa, and I managed to secure my first deer tag.
Here are the problems I face:
1-I don't have access to any private land, so I believe I will head to my nearest public hunting area when Shotgun 2 opens (I have two jobs, so the limited time for Shotgun 1 seemed like a poor investment).
2-I have never hunted deer before, although I love stalking rabbits with my magnum-class air rifle. I have no friends or family who have hunted deer either.
3- I have just enough money to afford ammo, a scent-killer kit, and my one tag. No stands, no lease, no camo, no cameras. Just my de-scented old Carhartt coat and bibs (earth brown, thankfully) and Two-Ton Tess (My wife named the shotgun. It IS heavy).
Here's my ramshackle skillset: I am pretty good at tracking and stalking. I always fill my freezer with frost bunnies, and I've never used a hunting dog.
I'm a pretty good shot. I regularly head-shoot rabbits and squirrels at 50 yards, iron sights. I've taken coyotes with the same setup, but this new endeavor is quite literally a different animal.
I don't particularly care about a trophy buck. In fact, since I'm primarily after meat, I would rather take a doe. If luck puts a big boy in my sights, I will take him, but my expectations of that are realistically slim. To anyone who is willing to help out a newcomer, I would be eternally grateful. Thank you.
What size do you wear? I might have some camo clothes at home that I’ll never wear again. Post it up and if you are my size I’ll check my inventory when I’m back home Sunday.

That's a heck of a nice offer Ishi. Maybe you're a pretty OK guy after all.:) I'm thinking I'm going to be nice also and offer to bring my tag down to that unhunted farm and show him some "tips".:)

Howdy guys. Pardon the thread necromancy, but I figured I might "Put a Hat on the matter", as one might say. Due to time constraints between my two jobs (Full-time paramedic, part-time tobacconist), I was only able to have four available days during Shotgun 2. My wife co-opted one to help with Christmas shopping, so that brought me down to 3 all-day hunts.
To make a long story short, I got skunked. Only one sighting in all that time, and not one even Hail-Mary shot presented. I think I logged more miles on my feet than I have since Boy Scout summer camp, and mapped out the area pretty thoroughly. Even found a small set of sheds, but I must concede defeat with my tag (and freezer) unfilled. Maybe heavy pressure from first shotgun season and opening weekend of the second flushed them all from the area, or at least drove them into such deep cover that I had no hope of a clean shot. There was certainly a lot of heavy brush, some of it with nasty thorns. Lord knows, I shed my fair share of blood trying to penetrate the interior.
If nothing else, it all ended on a note more sweet than bitter. After shooting time passed today (my last available day before the season closes), I trudged back to my Jeep in a rather dour mood. Couldn't help but blame myself, even if I knew not what my transgression was. So, cue up the bluesy playlist, load and fire a bowl of Ten Russians, and head home with empty hands. On the road out, my headlights lit a heavy-bodied doe in the road, exactly the target I was after. She seemed more puzzled than alarmed, and stood her ground in the headlights. I couldn't help but chuckle, then figured I aught to do the gentlemanly thing; I tipped my hat and blew her a kiss. Until next year, m'lady. "No, there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good".;)

...my headlights lit a heavy-bodied doe in the road, exactly the target I was after. She seemed more puzzled than alarmed, and stood her ground in the headlights.....

Heh, reminds me of a couple years ago a friend came out from Des Moines and hunted my place hard for 3 days with the exact same result....except he smoked that doe on I 80 with a well placed bumper to the head. Got a transportation tag and called it a good enough season. :)

Sorry to hear about the skunking...better luck next year! Don't give up!

Sorry to hear about the bad hunting luck! Many things learned though I'm sure and you'll be all the better for it next year!

Top Bottom