Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any coyote hunters?

180class

Do many of you guys coyote hunt? I've been meaning to give it a try the last couple of years, and never got around to it. I think it would be a blast. If anybody in the Central Iowa area would like to show me the ropes, I would love to tag along some time.

I'm going to give it a try also after deer season. I need something to keep me busy till turkey season. Sounds like a blast to me also. I purchased a Weatherby 22-250 last year and love it. You can get a lot of great info. from www.varmintal.com. I've heard it's best in the evening because they are hungry. Good luck and keep me posted.

I do a lot of calling. I have my best luck in early mornign. right at first light. Even better luck at night under a full moon. its amazing. If you give it a try be ready to be frustrated!!! once you shoot your first youll never look back.

I've called a few in in the evenings, but i've heard full moons are the best. In jan and feb i'm always praying for snow. We usually hunt them with dogs, that is a blast. I love watching the dogs hunt, you would be amazed at thier endurance. Just picked up a new AR this summer and I'm itching to try it out.

Who makes the best electronic caller for the money...I know several areas where the coyotes need to be thinned out. I just hope we get some snow to help with the hunts.

I love chasing them yotes. Morning has been best for me as well, but on them COLD Jan. and Feb. days, they can be called any time of day. I didn't think it was legal to hunt them after dark in IA?

By far, Foxpro makes the best E-caller. A bit pricey, but worth every penny.

To anyone thats interested, I will be up in early Jan. for a yote hunt. Western IA, Ida/Monona county area. If anyone wants to join me for some fun let me know
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have my best luck in early morning, right at first light.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never tried calling them but my son would sure like to give it a go.

I always see them a the crack of dawn but only rarely in the evening while bow hunting.

My son saw one in the driveway yesterday morning and my wife saw one in the field this morning...yeah they need thinnin' out!
grin.gif

I have been catching many in my snares/foot traps... I usually go yote hunting later in the winter (jan) That is the best time i think anyways.

I call them in with mouth calls. I want to try using just a bow and hunt out of the Double Bull.
rracoyote15zt1.jpg

shotguncoyote17wt9.jpg

I called this fox in with lip smacks last year while hunting in CO. Shot him at 20 yds with no blind and I was on the ground.I am pretty proud of it.
donandfoxbusiness1gp9.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Who makes the best electronic caller for the money..

[/ QUOTE ]

Predatormasters.com has a whole section on this. It is a very hotly debated subject.

There are two on the market today that I would consider, FoxPro is one and Minaska is the other. I don't have any personal experience with either but both get great reviews.

I bought a Loudmouth E caller a few years ago just before FoxPro updated their design. I haven't used it nearly as often as I thought I was going to. The terrain in my immediate area isn't conducive to E caller use.

The 'Bonker

I am upgrading to the foxpro FX3 this year. I currently have a Johnny Stewart digital Preymaster. It actually sounds really good but the cord is a pain in the rear. I usually carry the speaker out about forty feet, unwind the cord, trip over it, unplugging the speaker, search for the the little speaker jack in the dark, cussing the whole time just to get the speaker ten yards upwind. The FX3 remote has a range up to 700 yards under ideal conditions. I cant wait for the first time I set it up 200 yards upwind and have a savy old dog circle right into my lap. By the way, I have had the most luck on single digit, dead quiet, moonlit nights when there is a good snow cover. We have called up as many as a six yotes a night during these conditions. I wear a Natgear snow cover suit and the yotes do not see me. I have a nightblaster light on my Ruger M77 mark II .223 and it is scary accurate. If I can get a good prone rest and there is no wind, it consistantly groups in a dime at 200. It is amazing.
2026Fscn02820001-med.JPG

Man they sure are proud of those things...over $400 for each unit. does PS Olt still make the plain ol rabbit distress calls????
grin.gif

HCH, thats too bad cause it sure is a lot of fun here in Illinois. We are able to use lights to hunt furbearers as long as they are not attatched to a vehicle. Just curious though, what part is illegal? Can you guys use spot lights to hunt racoons at night? Or does it have too be a .22? We have a 24 hour fox and coyote season that is closed during the firearms deer seasons. Without the light you have to let em get REAL close.

HCH, I looked up the Iowa regs and saw where you can only use a light to hunt coons that are treed by dogs. This may be the ONLY case where good old Democratic Illinois has a more liberal firearm law than Iowa. I also had a question for anyone who has used the bandit caller, it doesn't look like it has the most stable design, does it ever tip over on the speaker on uneven ground or taller grass? Just looks like tipping might be an issue.

Huntcrazy, I wish that we could use the lights in the evening for calling predators but poachers ruined it for the rest of us.

A couple of years ago I got the hot idea to get an night vision scope with an IR light source. Turns out even IR light is illegal. Glad I asked before I shelled out that kinda dough.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom