Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody ever hunt in........

Liv4Rut

Nebraska for antelope? My buddy and I are packing it up on Friday and heading out there on a Whim with our bows. I think we are gonna head up to the Northwest corner with our double bulls and ghillie suits and see if we can't connect on something. All this cool weather, and bucks starting to shed has us both itching to go out and try to put something down on the ground early. Any thoughts or pointers for a new antelope hunter? We are going to try spot and stalking and also sitting on waterholes. Thanks in Advance.

Mike

26picnapoleondynamite1.jpg

26napol-thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
We are going to try ..... sitting on waterholes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd try sitting around them.
grin.gif
893smileystooges-thumb[1].gif

Good luck, Guys!
waytogo.gif

We just figured we would sit on the waterholes with some pond vegetation hooked to our hats to keep our scent down and to keep ourselves cool. I don't think an antelope would know what to do when we come popping up out of the water with our bows drawn
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

grin.gif

We were out in Montana a couple of weeks ago. S. Dakota, Wyoming, the whole area was extremely dry. There were some pivot irrigated alfalfa fields in Wyoming where you almost couldn't see the field because of all the antelope standing on it. I bet if you find some pivots in western Nebraska, the farmers will be happy to let you hunt around the fields.
waytogo.gif

Never bow hunted them Liv but you have the right plan. Find a dry area with a water hole and sit for a spell
grin.gif

Good luck to you guys. If you connect, don't forget, we have check stations.
grin.gif

Oh yeah, don't shoot any elk or mountain loins.

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts or pointers for a new antelope hunter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they look bigger than they really are so dont shoot the first one you see, and for God's sake dont touch those black cheek patches with your bare hands!
Good luck!!

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts or pointers for a new antelope hunter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....take your buddies truck. Goat smell hangs with your truck for life
grin.gif

NWBuck

"For God's sake dont touch those black cheek patches with your bare hands!"

Yhea, you're supposed to "LICK" them for good luck!
grin.gif

I haven't got the tags yet Nebraskan Whitetail. I am going to order them tonight. I just called the game and parks commission and they said that Archery is unlimited number of tags and we will have no problem getting one.
grin.gif
grin.gif
I heard about those black cheek patches, didn't know what they were called, but I bought Knee pads and leather gloves for stalking
blush.gif
blush.gif
smile.gif

Spot and stalk brother. It is flippin sweet! Get ya a dutton decoy and work the draw and ridges. Pop that sucka up and watch them charge at ya. It is a rush. Hunting them in two man teams is the shiznit. One guy runs the decoy and range finder, and the other guy gets the nerve racking job of trying to drop them.

I agree with the above comments. They stink like hell. They are about the size of a medium doe, fast as hell, very wide eye sight, pretty stupid overall. I think you are hitting the pre rut time in Neb??????

Good Luck Brother! and for god's sake, try to get the fart smell outta the blind before you go! LOL

Im really not sure if we are all talking about the same thing or not, because I have never hunted out there to find out what they are. From what I hear there is a plant kinda like a cactus, or thistle that if you slightly brush against it, all its little pins will stick in your hand or whatever, making it pretty miserable. I was told to wear Knee pads and leather gloves while crawling around stalking antelope. Maybe somebody else could inform us.
smile.gif

The cheek patches contain some pretty rank-smelling scent glands. When I got my buck out in Wyoming in the fall of 2004, I didn't notice the glands to be particularly objectionable, but then I wasn't touching them intentionally.

As for what to expect, you'll undoubtedly encounter pickly pear, barrel cactus, sand burrs, and other pokey things, so the gloves are a good idea (I'm speaking experience after doing some turkey-hunting belly crawls without gloves). Brush pants will help if you have them, or chaps. Keep an eye out for rattle snakes too, but I doubt you'll run into any.

Liv - I forgot about the archery tags. When I think antelope I usually think rifle - so that was why I commented abou the tags being hard to come by. With a bow water sources are definitely your friends. Depending on where you hunt, you may find stock tanks by windmills to be decent ambush spots. I've seen guys climb up on the windmills towers to wait for the goats to come and drink.

Good luck on the hunt!

I know that those cactus are in Wyoming. The ones to watch for are the dead ones. They blend in with the dirt and the needles are so fine you can barely see them when they are in your hand. You'll feel them though. They are a strong smelling animal, but they sure are neat looking. Fun to hunt too. Good luck.

Beautiful critters for sure:

3300MGH_Antelope_2_IW-med.jpg

See that Winnebago in the backgroud (just left of the goat's nose)? I was about 100 yards from the edge of Interstate 80 near Laramie, Wyoming, when that picture was taken. And that's the Medicine Bow range in the background.

Good Luck, it'll be blast. I spent every day after wotk stalking the same group right by my uncles farm about 10 years ago. It took me a week to realize that when pushed then run.............in a circle, they'll come back. I eventually killed that sucker. Wish I had a scanner, it was in the pre digital days.

Knee pads are a very good idea! I am still picking those little cactus balls outta my ass! Gloves are a good idea also. This is a pic from last fall. I ran the decoy and bruce was the shooter. I popped it up on top of a ridge and drew him in on a dead run from 250 yards out. He ran on a b-line and stopped at 20 yards, farted around, then bruce popped up, I range it as it was quartering away, and that was the end of the story. He is a pic to get you juices flowing. P&Y measured just over 17 1/2" scored mid to upper 70's.

Img0143.jpg

RayNeal's
Img0206.jpg

Top Bottom