Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody seeing less deer than me?

Many nights when I hunt I'll see over 40 deer a night... Many would think who in the world could see 40 deer when "I'm" not seeing deer.. well in many parts of Iowa the deer numbers are way out of control. Not saying I see many bucks though, always Doe's which blows

What are you sitting in/over?

Picked corn field and bean field with a few acres of timber.

Bieber,
Can I ride the school bus home with you and have you show me the whiteyail way next weekend?

If I had a good camera I'd gladly take pictures, you just can't see the Deer with my camera 70-100 yards away.

So you counted 13 points from 100 yards away...hmmmm

Binos? 5x7.

Justin Bieber,

13 bucks and 42 does?! That's a bunch! If your always seeing a ton of deer and all these HUGE bucks that you say you are why would you settle for that little dinky spike buck you shot? I know if i had seen all those bucks on trail camera and all those that you saw while hunting i wouldn't have settled for that spike.

Some of the Does might have been the same ones running around, but the Bucks were all different. Only a few came within shooting range I can see 200 yards away from me. I know some of my stories seem far fetched but all of them are true. Plus, I wasn't hunting this place when I shot either of my Bucks. I can't wait for shotgun. I'll also put a cam up and post some pics.

EDIT: Next time I'm out I'll take a bunch of pictures just to prove I'm not lying. You might not be able to see them so well though.

Last edited:
Ya he's young I bet you all had outrageous claims when you started hunting. I know people that can sit on an field edge and see 40 to 50 does that is 5 miles from where I hunt in Mississippi. I see 3-6 deer. All places are different.

Mississippi redneck

I'm not lying if that's what you're implying...

kids, kids, kids........ you'll learn when you get older, that sometimes things are better just left unsaid, and if you are going to "tell stories" (true or untrue) you have to be able to provide some credibility. It's like the guy (and we all know them) who says that he saw a booner after about every hunt he goes on, but miraculously has somehow never managed to kill one and always ends up killing little guys. Point is....... with time and experience and some credible posts and pics and woodsmanship, you will be taken seriously eventually. Until then, continue to have fun and learn as much as you can out there. If you are seeing 55 deer a night.... than enjoy it and don't take it for granted.

One more thing Josh..... The reason some of the guys on here are doubting you is because you tell some pretty outrageous stories and make some pretty unbelievable comments....ie. having 5x7 binoculars. I don't believe there is such a thing. Maybe I'm wrong though. I think the old spotters that you had to drop a coin in to view things may have been 5-7x50, but I doubt you are lugging one of those afield. I'm not picking on you, just letting you know that you are no different than most of us were at your age (minus the hair) :D, and we all had stories also. Just letting you know that as you get older you will learn how to be a little more discrete about things. If you are going to continue to post on here with these stories, than just be prepared for a little razzing. Good luck.

One more thing Josh..... The reason some of the guys on here are doubting you is because you tell some pretty outrageous stories and make some pretty unbelievable comments....ie. having 5x7 binoculars. I don't believe there is such a thing. Maybe I'm wrong though. I think the old spotters that you had to drop a coin in to view things may have been 5-7x50, but I doubt you are lugging one of those afield. I'm not picking on you, just letting you know that you are no different than most of us were at your age (minus the hair) :D, and we all had stories also. Just letting you know that as you get older you will learn how to be a little more discrete about things. If you are going to continue to post on here with these stories, than just be prepared for a little razzing. Good luck.

Im willing to bet he meant 13 pointer.. I used binos.. He has 5 points on 1 side and 7 points on the other. Which by normal math would make him a 12 pointer, but he could have just missed a point.

Catch uup DEDGEEZ :thrwrck: :D

Im willing to bet he meant 13 pointer.. I used binos.. He has 5 points on 1 side and 7 points on the other. Which by normal math would make him a 12 pointer, but he could have just missed a point.

Sorry, yeah I'm a little slow this morning. My mind is in the woods still! :grin:

Most forum guys get pretty 'tough'. I love watching these threads go off topic and see who is the next victim. I'd be happy to see one deer in shooting range at this point.

Altiman94 said:
Most forum guys get pretty 'tough'. I love watching these threads go off topic and see who is the next victim. I'd be happy to see one deer in shooting range at this point.

The next "victim" is me isn't it. Lol

Mississippi redneck

1-4 day period over

It doesn't matter how many deer you see because there's only a handful of those 150 pluses in your area.. Learning the rut and knowing the key 1-4 day big buck frenzie. Hate to say it folks but for the most part that's over.. It was around oct 30th-nov 4th..(At least 5 monsters from friends and friends friend have been takin last friday) I have some whoppers on trail cam but only at night but not until monday 28th I saw one at 11:08 in the morning on trail cam cruising by my stand. Unfortunetly the wind was wrong for the stand and was busy filming my dad smoke a nice one on camera the 30th. Those big ol' mature bucks aren't big for no reason.. They will start to do their more night time rutting when they know its the safest.. But those big bucks make mistakes and bein at the right time at thge right place will get it done.

I've sat every morning thurs-today (still in stand) and I saw deer crawling out of the woodwork thurs and fri) almost shot that big one on trail cam friday morning and almost shot a 150-160 thurs morning.. Doesn't go as planned sometimes oh ya I have camera footage to prove it.

Stay in stand late in the mornings.. Those big bucks like to cruise mid day I'm telling you.. Catch one making the biggest mistake of his life.. Can't kill him if ur not in the stand mid morning

Good luck to all

I love watching these threads go off topic

ThreadDirection.jpg

Hate to say it folks but for the most part that's over.. It was around oct 30th-nov 4th..(At least 5 monsters from friends and friends friend have been takin last friday)

this could be true, but i am thinking other. I myself got one with a stick and string friday (its in the PMA) but I am still banking on seeing a lot of harvest reports come in this weekend. Snow tomorrow night over here on the western side of the state with 1-3 inches of rain before that. From what I have seen in years past is that is a recipe for big bucks the day or two after.
we will see. good luck to those who still have tags left :drink1:

It's always been said that the smaller bucks run first and you don't start to see the giants until at least the second week of November.

Lol, my bad...I'm in a bad school :rolleyes: He was a 12pt then.

Sorry, yeah I'm a little slow this morning. My mind is in the woods still! :grin:

X2! I won't be able to get out for a few weeks, I started swim team today and I don't have time to hunt with 6 days a week practice, school, and other things. I have to go to Ankeny for awhile too.

Btw, what's the point in lying on a forum? Even if you tell the truth some people will always say you're lying.

Edit: I write down the Deer I see on my iPod. I lost my iPod...

Last edited:
Anyway, back to the original topic...I havent seen much lately..this morning I took my dog out pheasant hunting and saw 4 bucks under 130 chasing seperate does in the same field...otherwise tonight I saw 3 does and 3 bucks that wouldnt have made 100 inches combined...they were chasing hard...its only a matter of time..and they are talking 2-5 inches of snow tomorrow here...gonna be in the woods!

Ya sat last night was excited to get out there considering the wind died down to nothing, didn't see 1 deer except the one I jumped up walking in.

Gotta agree with Iowabucks, we never get to see the older bucks untill after the 2nd week/lockdown first breeding. After they get that first taste they are alot more visable here, looking for the next one. I always prefer the 2nd half of november when they are looking for girls in the feeding fields rather than deep in the woods like now.

Top Bottom