Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone else have this Problem**where are the bucks?

khopp4

So we've got a farm that really holds no bucks during the summer but once the bucks shed their velvet we start getting pictures of mature bucks. It's just frustrating to have cameras going all summer and get very little mature bucks. We have a really think doe population on our farm.. Farm size is 140 acres. Our ground is a higher bluff with secluded fields with a river less then 1/2 mile away. We dont have any surrounding bean fields around. I once thought it could that there is no beans around and that the bucks are staying down in the river bottoms where it is cooler during the summer...anyone else have this problem?? Thoughts? Suggestions??

I think your right there.They want beans or alfalfa, a cool place to get away from the bugs and water. They dont range very far in the summer. You are either on all of them or none.

You run mineral on your farm? I have found you can condition bucks into summering on your ground after a couple years with it. I get it out there in february and run it until hunting season.

Just pulled my card from camera today. It has been there for 3 weeks from last pull. 686 pictures 680 deer pics, NO BUCKS.
This cam is on a mineral lick so multiple pics of each deer and is 100yards from a nice been plot.
I have not got a picture of an antlered deer of this farm for the last month and a half that i have had cam out.
This cam is on the wapsi bottoms in about 175 acres of timber.
I know it holds good bucks because we have seen them during season, they just dont seem to be there now.
CANT WAIT UNTILL THE RUT!!!!:D

I wouldn't worry about it. The does will usually take over the best fawning areas during the summer and keep the bucks away. I've noticed this at my place as well. I have mineral sites 500 yds apart and the one site I get tons of buck pics and the other one is all does and fawns. Keep the pressure off the resident does until the rut and you will have bucks all over the place come november!

Good problem to have. I have a few places I hunt that the bucks tend to show up after velvet as well, which suites me just fine.

So we've got a farm that really holds no bucks during the summer but once the bucks shed their velvet we start getting pictures of mature bucks. It's just frustrating to have cameras going all summer and get very little mature bucks. We have a really think doe population on our farm.. Farm size is 140 acres. QUOTE]

we are the exact same way....but in southern iowa, and 170 acres. However, where there are does, there are plenty of bucks come season and rut time. so I never get real worried about it :way:

good points...i'm just a trail cam junkie and get all worked up during the summer when im not seeing bucks.

most guys complain they get pics all summer and then none after the bucks loose thier velvet. I would say you have a good problem.

I am in the same boat as you. I have only got about 4 pictures of an antlered deer all summer, and nothing mature. I have minerals, beans and corn, but no good pics. Its frustrating because i know they should be there, only agriculture within about a mile. But i have hunted this farm for a long time and know that the huge doe population draws in all kinds of bucks. I usually start seeing antlers the second week of october.

Same story here as well. Its like we are running a deer day care facility at our farm this summer. More fawns than you can imagine but not much for antlers. Hoping the fall food plots bring them in the next month.

I have a farm with the same issues. Hard to not get frustrated through the summer months, but it happens every year. Come late September, the bucks start showing up and the does are still around. The nannies are you ticket come rut! If they're there the bucks will be too.

My farm is just like yours, 140 acres and over the past 6 years, I have exactly one mature buck on camera in the summer. They just are not there until later on....its a doe/fawn factory and I am pretty sure the does claim my farm as their turf and push the bucks off. The neighbors feed the bucks in the summer for me and I get to shoot them in the fall...I don't mind. :D

Same here too. We have some of the best deer habitat on our farm that I've ever seen. Pretty much nothing but does around during summer, but from October thru winter, the bucks all want to be on our place. Works great for me too. Much better than having the opposite problem like some do. I agree, it would be nice to get pics of all the local bucks during summer, but I've about given up on even putting cameras out on our place until late September/early October because it will be nothing but does/fawns until that time. As long as they are on ours during fall and winter, I'm happy with that.

Same here too. We have some of the best deer habitat on our farm that I've ever seen. Pretty much nothing but does around during summer, but from October thru winter, the bucks all want to be on our place. Works great for me too. Much better than having the opposite problem like some do. I agree, it would be nice to get pics of all the local bucks during summer, but I've about given up on even putting cameras out on our place until late September/early October because it will be nothing but does/fawns until that time. As long as they are on ours during fall and winter, I'm happy with that.

My property is the same
way. I have been seeing some bucks on my cams the last 2 weeks.
Bowdude

I've about given up on even putting cameras out on our place until late September/early October because it will be nothing but does/fawns until that time. As long as they are on ours during fall and winter, I'm happy with that.

I have given up on putting cams out till at least October. Put one out a 1 1/2 weeks ago...84 pics of does/fawns and one decent buck. Mid October is when they really start showing up on my place.

deer

pulled card monday had 460 pics over 50 of them where bucks some in the evening most at night 1 2 oclock in the mornig seeing a little more movement in the evening want be long they will be out during the day

Top Bottom