Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone Hunt Like This??

I stayed married to a crazy woman for 29 years. That's the only reason I consider her crazy.

Okay here's my bear stories.

1977 I was in the North Cascades about 100 miles south of the border with British Columbia hiking up a long, rough trail along the side of a small stream called Cedar Creek. I had been in there previously and it was a tough climb but once you got in about 6 miles, the creek opened up into a beautiful meadow with beaver ponds full of native cutthroat trout. I was probably at least four miles from where I had left my car when out of the corner of my eye about 50 yards to my right there was a little opening in the trees and I happened to catch movement. It was a yearling bear putting his front feet on a fallen log and testing the air with his nose. He had apparently winded me. My first thought was that it was a blonde black bear, but I stopped and looked and it struck me that it sure looked like a grizzly. Just then, the mother bear stood up on her hind legs right in front of me and she was HUGE. She was so close that I remember thinking I could almost poke her with my 8-foot flyrod. Scared the crap out of me to say the least. She was DEFINTIELY a grizzly even though there supposedly weren't any grizzlies in the Cascades at that time. The minute she made eye contact with me, she made a woof and started to drop down towards me. I never saw her feet hit the ground because I practically turned around inside my skin trying to get away. I was in full scale panic mode. Forget everything they say about backing away slowly, etc. I totally LOST IT. I sprinted so hard for a long ways, leaping over rocks and tumbling down hills totally out of control. Finally I realized I wasn't dead so I stopped and realized I didn't even know if she had come after me at all. In my right hand was my flyrod, broken into a half-dozen pieces, the pieces trailing behind me hooked to the line through the line guides. No idea where my hat was. I have always wanted to go back there but never have.

1988 on the Alaskan Peninsula in Herendine Bay (Bering Sea side) We were beach seigning for humpies (pink salmon). While the nets were set with the seine skiff beached, three of us walked to the top of a large-- I'll call it a dune for lack of a better word --of gravel to see what was on the other side. We were about 100 yards from the boat on top of this dune, and on the other side was a salmon stream, and about 100 yards away from us on the bank was a big male brown bear facing directly away from us, watching the salmon skitter though the shallows. We stood perfectly quiet for a few minutes watching him, hoping to get a chance to see him catch a fish. Wind was in our face.

I'm telling you that some animals have a sixth sense and just know when they are being watched. I have seen it with whitetail bucks and this bear just suddenly knew we were there for no explainable reason. He abruptly turned around and stood on his hind legs and just stared right at us. We were shocked. It took him only a split second to decide to come for us. Amazingly he took about three steps on his hind legs as the front of his body was coming down and he hit the ground at a full run. It was weird the way it happened and you would have to see it to understand how amazing it looked. We scrambled down the gravel dune like crazed maniacs and dove into the seine skiff, which is only an 18-foot wooden boat. Not that it would have afforded us any protection because it had a 200 foot seine attached that by now should have several hundred salmon in it. When the bear hit the top of that rise and saw us, thankfully he stopped. I suppose the sight of the two small boats, the 48-foot purse seine boat and a half dozen people was enough to turn him back because he just slowly walked back the way he came.

I have been bluff-charged by black bears a couple times and that's good for a shot of adrenaline, but these two experiences are the ones that still make my eyes get wide when I talk about them.

THose are my stories and I'm sticking to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: antlerfreak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you got me by 7 inches. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

</div></div>
Careful with that one AF /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif </div></div>

let me refraise, "your bucks antlers score 7" more than mine"
we can start measuring other things but I dont think any of you want to go there. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: antlerfreak</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: antlerfreak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you got me by 7 inches. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

</div></div>
Careful with that one AF /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif </div></div>

let me refraise, "your bucks antlers score 7" more than mine"
we can start measuring other things but I dont think any of you want to go there. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

They call me Dirk...

One time I proved how cool i was on the internet. And than noone cared.

2177high_horse.jpg

T 50 Were you born with an arrogant attitude, or was it learned over time? I know one thing you havent done- talk about anyone other than yourself. Anyways not trying to start anything, nothing personal, just wondering. Good day.

Hey it's all in good fun. T250 is obviously not a couch potato and I admire a guy who has tried a lot of different stuff, expecially stuff with adventure and adrenaline attached. I confess I was a heck of a lot like him when I was in my 20's. So maybe he puts a good spin on some things... He's done a lot of cool stuff so gie him his props.

I settled down way too soon... you only live once.

I guess that's why I'm going to the amazon jungle next month to see my son Cody. He says if I bring a bunch of fish hooks you can trade a good fish hook for two chickens or a monkey. That sounds like my kinda place.

I read that and died laughin. Hell yea, I'd trade a whole pack of fish hooks for a monkey /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

You havent been here long enough to get on me! Thats old delivery guy, that was 8,910 members ago!!! Good luck next time, and have a nice day /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I guess that's why I'm going to the amazon jungle next month to see my son Cody. He says if I bring a bunch of fish hooks you can trade a good fish hook for two chickens or a monkey. That sounds like my kinda place. </div></div>

Just think of how much land a guy could lease for a 10 spot. LOL

My cousin owned a monkey. Dont remember what kind. He was pretty moody. Loved jumping on the trampeline with us when we were younger. He LOVED dry skin. He would pick it off your fingers and chow down. Kinda sick but it was cool.

The horse chased him up the tree one afternoon and his leash got tangled up on a branch. Lets just say he died very painfully. Luckily i wasnt there but my little cousin didnt take it too well. Poor thing. I wonder if people eat monkey?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aim-n-High</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wonder if people eat monkey? </div></div>

Yup. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

I don't think he was talking about a live monkey. Yes they are a primary source of food for them just like the chickens.

Alright, here's one for the story books. The condensed version.

While I was playing professional football in Rome, a few teammates and I were in a high speed chase through the streets of Rome. We were being chased by a Brazillian hooker wielding a lead pipe. Red lights, blown front drivers side tire, other cars- didn't matter, we weren't stopping. Lost the hooker, parked the broke down car on a dark street and walked home 3 miles through the most communist neighborhood in Rome (where Mussolini lived) at 4 in the morning.

About a month later I made it back to the states, bought a new bow, shot a huge deer, drank 16 beers and nailed my girlfriend.

Since then my life has been pretty boring though...

Top Bottom