Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

Paul,

Several of my apple/pear trees from previous years are not looking very good. One tree had the top browsed off. Another couple are loose in the ground. I tried staking them up this spring, but they are still loose. Do mice get underground and chew up roots? Do you have any recommendations for those loose trees? Do you think they could come back? These trees are probably 3 to 5 years old I would guess.

Paul,

Several of my apple/pear trees from previous years are not looking very good. One tree had the top browsed off. Another couple are loose in the ground. I tried staking them up this spring, but they are still loose. Do mice get underground and chew up roots? Do you have any recommendations for those loose trees? Do you think they could come back? These trees are probably 3 to 5 years old I would guess.

Are those trees on well anchored rootstock, dwarf rootstock, or do you know? Some rootstock varieties have to be staked their whole lives. That could be the reason you are seeing them loose after 3-5 years. Takes that long for enough leaf/limb mass to catch enough wind to uproot them.

Last edited:
October 30th, 2013

The clothespins put on last year stayed on and the job...

encouraging strong horizontal limb growth and crotch angle

In this country we certainly test the apple/cedar rust problem, some trees such as Liberty and Enterprise are very resistant but even those that are not do very well...

and we watch deer from our windows, knocking apples down and happily lapping them up

Walt checked his trees and apparently interrupted the feast

He returned later to find that the deer quickly returned and cleaned up!

He found his Asian pears still very hard and firm in early October and took some home to let them ripen, by late October they were sweet and delicious...perfect timing for whitetails!

His apples were hanging well...

Nice to have different varieties dropping from July thru December if possible

We try to keep the orchards planted to clover

and locate tree orchards in/along food plots

Planting fruit trees can be addicting, always another variety to try but one can plant trees according to budget...2 or 20 and add species and varieties each year :way:

Radical strategy

Want to draw deer into your apple trees longer? Bend a branch down until it breaks. :eek:

It happened accidentally this year with the bumper fruit set. Most commercial orchards would have sprayed a hormone so that the trees dropped some fruit, increasing the size of the apples that weren't dropped. I could care less about that, so let things go and had a bunch of branches break under the heavy fruit set.

It appears that when the branch breaks, the hormones the tree produces don't make it to the stem of the apple to let them drop. So if you don't care how ugly your apple trees are, you might consider bend a couple down until they break next August. The apples will eventually fall off throughout the winter, keeping the deer coming back looking to see if anything dropped.

I have a LOT of pruning to do this January.

I'm getting my fruit tree and oak tree projects planned for this year. I've always used the tubes for the oaks but would the mesh be acceptable for them as well? Just looking for areas to cut cost as a foot of the mesh is cheap compared to a tree tube.

I'm getting my fruit tree and oak tree projects planned for this year. I've always used the tubes for the oaks but would the mesh be acceptable for them as well? Just looking for areas to cut cost as a foot of the mesh is cheap compared to a tree tube.

Those mesh tubes only work for putting on top of solid tubes IMO for eliminating browsing above say 4' tubes.

Last edited:
Tubes are best for oaks to promote faster growth and protect from damage by bucks, alum. window screen will do neither, adding fencing as used on fruit trees is far more expensive then tubes.

Tubes are best for oaks to promote faster growth and protect from damage by bucks, alum. window screen will do neither, adding fencing as used on fruit trees is far more expensive then tubes.

Pulled the fencing off some 4"+ diameter apples and the bucks quickly tore off the window screening as well. Guess some fencing is going back up for a few more years. :D

What needs to be done to apple trees this time of year? We planted 15 trees from Stark's last year, and they seem to be doing OK (although I'm anxiously awaiting the first sign of green buds on them after the summer / winter that we had). Am I supposed to spray them with a dormant oil spray right now? Anything else?

Thanks.

Steve

This is prime time to prune back unwanted branches or growth on fruit trees, and continue to shape them so they'll be able to handle the fruit load in years to come. Cages often need to be enlarged too, and this is perfect time of year to do that. Also dormant oil spray --- as long as it's not below freezing within 3 days of the spraying. Something with the oil accelerates freezing especially on the pruned limbs, can damage them. So timing is important. They won't be pushing green anytime soon, so dormant oil along with fungicide and insecticide early, is probably the best spray of the year and can go on anytime the temps are right -- up until just before the buds break open. Even TWO sprays of same stuff 10-14 days apart is better. Remember, main purpose of the oil spray is to suffocate insects that have overwintered in the nooks and crannies of the fruit wood. Is hard to get them all with just one spray........

Next task when ground temps begin to warm up, is to get the herbicide spray mix (Paul's is ideal) down around the bases of all fruit and nut trees. Grasses and weeds are probably the biggest competition to wildlife tree growth. Plus it provides places for insects to hang around before they get onto trees and fruit. Better prevented by spraying early than trying to chase it later. Sprayed areas should be as wide as the "drip line" of the tree. Depending on planting pattern, sometimes it's just easier to spray the ground of the entire row of trees. This prevents having to go back and weed whack, mow, etc, during the season.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom