Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

Insecticides and herbicides

It's that time of year again, pruning and spraying of fruit trees and my friend Bob and I were recently discussing dormant oil and fungicide options. Here's a couple options

Dormant oil meant to smother eggs and insects early on

Bonide all season

Damoil dormant all season

Fungicide

Champ WG Fungicide (20 Pounds)

Herbicides

2qts Simazine
2 qts Prowl
If grasses are present add
12-16 ounces of clethodim
1 qt crop oil
mix with 3-5 gallon of water in BP sprayer or ATV sprayer

Check your local ag co-op source first but here are sources if you need them

Simazine source

Prowl source

Clethodim source

Wanted to share some photos of my winter project. These are ECOS pears, wild apples, and American Persimmons from Oikos all grown from seed. The bur oaks are from acorns from a 7 year old "bur oak" tree in our backyard that surprisingly produced a hefty crop of acorns this year so I took advantage of that. I think it must be some sort of special bur to be producing that early. Some of the fruit tree seeds sprouted earlier than others hence some being noticeably larger. I didn't do the Rootmaker pots this year but its definitely in the plans for next year. They seem to being doing well in these cheap plastic pots (no circling of roots) but I imagine they would do a ton better in a Rootmaker.

These are all going to get planted into heavy southern Iowa clay either this spring or this fall. I'm using regular old Burpee organic potting mix when they're small but when they get big and I transfer them to larger pots I'm using a mix of 50% miracle grow potting soil, peat moss, compost, and then the other 50% southern Iowa clay. I plan on liming and fertilizing at planting as well as fencing. Any other things to consider when planting? My main concern is shock going from one type of soil to another but hopefully I'm alleviating some of that by giving them small doses of the clay soil here early on. Thoughts? 100+ trees...I'm going to be busy this year with habitat projects.

ApplesOaks2.jpg

ApplesOaks1.jpg

SEIowaDeerslayer,
How deep did you plant those acorns? It looks like some are about on the surface, or maybe I'm seeing it wrong? I planted some white oak acorns in the rootmakers about a week ago, and they haven't come up yet and I was wondering if I planted mine too deep. I got mine in about 1/2 to 1".

My brother in law also planted some wild pears from a tree I have on my place. He planted about a week ago and they have already sprouted.

I germinated the oaks in the fridge and then just placed them on top of the soil, just like mother nature does in the wild and just made sure to keep the acorn moist as it developed its roots. From what I've read you'll be fine planting the whole acorn, I just chose to do it this way.

It'll be interesting to see how these wild fruits turn out. I guess if they don't amount to much I can always graft a better variety onto them. Oikos described their wild pear as "zippy" :) as well as their wild apples. I suppose the deer won't mind. I hope your brothers wild pears turn out good.

If you look in the acorn to oak thread there lots of pictures of starting acorns in Rootmakers and most are planted roughly an 1" deep. Squirrels bury them at various depths so they will do just fine at 1"

Germination time can vary widely, I've seen anything from a few days to 3 weeks ;)

im going to be planting some apple and pear trees in a few weeks, what gravel or mulch needs to be around the base of the tree?

im going to be planting some apple and pear trees in a few weeks, what gravel or mulch needs to be around the base of the tree?
Any kind of stone or limestone roughly 1" in site will work well, wood type much invites mice and other rodents ;)

when should i plant my apple trees i have some on order did some dirt work today surprised how dry subsoil is just wandering when others put in their fruit trees have all fenceing ect ready to go lots of great info from here thanks

when should i plant my apple trees i have some on order did some dirt work today surprised how dry subsoil is just wandering when others put in their fruit trees have all fenceing ect ready to go lots of great info from here thanks

Plant asap :)

Plant asap :)

Paul,

I bought some dormant apple trees and pear trees, and a couple of the apples have already started to bud out inside my house. Will it be an issue if I plant those this weekend with a chances of frost the next month? I was going to plant them when I plant the ones I grew from seed but I'll get them in the ground sooner if I have to. Thanks!

Paul,

I bought some dormant apple trees and pear trees, and a couple of the apples have already started to bud out inside my house. Will it be an issue if I plant those this weekend with a chances of frost the next month? I was going to plant them when I plant the ones I grew from seed but I'll get them in the ground sooner if I have to. Thanks!

That's always a little tricky, should be fine but we store in a cool dark place until temps moderate

when planting fruit trees what kind of mix should i be making when planting, regular dirt and peat moss, or something else

Pear rootstock?

Anybody know of a source for pear rootstock in/near Guthrie county? Or even outside of the area that would be willing to ship? Found an amazing wild pear tree last fall and I'm gonna try a few grafts this spring if I can get my hands on rootstock.....Thanks for any and all help.

If you google 'fruit tree scions rootstocks for sale' you'll find a bunch of nurseries who will ship scions and rootstocks to you for pretty cheap.

Last edited:
maybe a stupid question, iv just started to get into the fruit trees, i have tried to match up what will pollinate what on my trees, my question is, if i buy 6 of one kind like an arkansas black apple for example, will they pollinate each other or do i have to by another kind?

I think you're going to have to research each individual tree, as some need specific pollinators and some do not. As an aside, I have a number of Arkansas Black trees that are not near each other, and they produce great each year. I have other varieties/cultivars that are healthy trees and in the proximity of lots of other fruit trees but produce little or none. My guess is they are of a variety that need others of the same variety nearby. There are some university web sites that have this info pretty easily available. Hope this helps......

Top Bottom