Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ATVs

ajadams

PMA Member
I'm in the market for another quad and was wondering what some of you were driving and how you like it. I sold my wifes Rubicon and was wanting to replace it with another utility with independant rear suspension. I have a Suzuki Vinson and love it but it doesn't ride the best. Also, a bunch of the used one I have looked at have 2, 3, or even 6000 miles on them, I've never kept one that long so was wondering what kind of miles your putting on yours without too many problems. Thanks Aj

I have a Polaris sportsman 700 and a Polaris Sportsman 500 HO (both have independent suspension). If you want a really nice riding quad that is easy to handle I would go with a Polaris. So far I havent had any problems with the 500 but I use the 700 for plowing snow and I have had a few problems with the cv joints. I love how they ride though. The 700 is tough to turn in four wheel drive. I hope some of this can help.

Polaris in general are heavier, couple inches wider, but generally a great ride. i have owned both Yamaha and PoPo's. I currently ride a grizzly. I can tell you that the ride isnt as smooth as the polaris, but it is lighter, much more nimble on wooded trails, and the drive train is solid. I just recently compared my grizz 550 and cousins Polaris 550xp and ride heigth was within an inch as far as clearance goes. His was 3.5 inches wider.
If you are thinking you'll use with passengers, the polaris' usually have a longer seat. Had to get my wife one of the big seat/box things as her a$$ was always on the metal bars of rear racks on both my last Yamahas. The polaris has a wider, longer seat.
just mytake on it....
Check out this website for great honest comparisons of used machines. grizzlycentral.com. My last one was a 2005 Yamaha kodiak 450. it had 3300 miles, some of those hard miles, and it was still in great shape with no issues.....I know of guys with 2-6000 miles and with regular maintenence, that shouldnt be an issue...Hope this helps.

I have a Polaris RZR 800 sidexside and I love it. I added a rail on the back and a winch on the front. I have had 4 treestands and 4 sets of Rapid rails in the back with ease. Also I love the side x side seating as opposed to the 4 wheeler. If there isn't anyone with me I have that side of the cab to put extra gear and if there is someone with me it is way more comfortable.

Other advantages I have found include, very easy handling, same width as a quad (50") so it will go through the woods very easily and can be legally ridden on any trail system. great stability, warm riding with the half windshield, Plenty of room for gear and hauling dead game out of the woods, lots of power, and just damn fun to drive.

It is loud though so I would recommend a silencer if you are going to be using it for turkey hunting or hunting in general. Hope this helps :way:

I went from a 500 Honda Rubicon to a 700 Yamaha Grizzly hunters addition and I love it! Tons of power, push button full locking differentials, and great ground clearance. The only thing I can think of that is worse on the Grizz is what was said above. The seat is great for one person but when you add a person there is not much room. I added a winch and a Camo rack bag that works great for hauling gear and sheds. :D As for reliability its really a toss up. I use to race Yamaha's and their engines can take a beating. I also still have the first quad I ever owned. Its a 1986 Honda 200SX 4 stroke and it still runs like the day I got it with the original engine! I know my buddies who own Polaris have had belt troubles and wiring issues that I have not had but they do get abused pretty hard. Good luck!:way:

I just bought an Arctic Cat 700 H1 a week ago..love it so far, but still breaking it in, so I haven't done anything heavy duty with it yet.. my uncle has one pretty much the same only a year older. His neighbor has a Polaris Sportsman 700. They hooked a log chain between the two and my unlce pulled him around the yard with ease. Just sayin... ;) I'll put mine to the test here in a couple months though.. I bought all sorts of attachments for it including a two row disc with offset sprocket style gangs. we'll see how she pulls. It also has a locking differential.. that's pretty nice

We've got a Yamaha Grizzly 600 and have had it for roughly ten years, can't remember exactly. Man we beat the tar out of that thing and it runs like a sewing machine! I can't tell you how many times that thing has been on its side or roll'd over... Still runs great, pulls a heavy disc and goes on some rough Loess Hills country with no problem.

Jordan, did you happen to buy that Grizzly off someone in Central Iowa? I sold mine roughly 10 years ago to a guy from the Loess Hills area and now that I think about it, he kind of looked like you. Would be a pretty cool coincidence if it was you.

Brute force 650 or 750!! The power of those v-twins is amazing and they sound great with an exhaust.

One of my buddies was the lead mechanic at brennys in the quad cities and I asked him this question once since I figured he works on them all the time he would know.

He claims the best 4x4 quads out there are the Kawasakis. I was kind of suprised he said that since he is a honda man. He said the next would be yamaha followed by honda.

He absolutely hated polaris. He said everything on them is made cheap. This was a few years back so maybe they improved. I have rode polaris with no issue. I have a kawasaki bayou 300 that is 12-14 years old, still runs and has been through hell and back. It's amazing what they will take.

If I were to buy one tomorrow I think I would look at the Can ams first and then it would be a toss up between the kawasakis and the grizzly 550.

I had a Kaw prairie 400 ran like a champ. Now I have a polaris ranger have had a few issues with it and it gets stuck easy. Its way too heavy imo but you cant beat it for halling deer out. Loan it to my buddies during slug season and they pile 4 or 5 deer on it at a time.

Jordan, did you happen to buy that Grizzly off someone in Central Iowa? I sold mine roughly 10 years ago to a guy from the Loess Hills area and now that I think about it, he kind of looked like you. Would be a pretty cool coincidence if it was you.

I think dad got it new, I'm about 99% sure. The thing is a work horse though!

I have a 1994 Yamaha work the crap out of it pulling a disk it has held up well Yamaha would be my first choice have friends that have troubles with Polaris in the past and anyone who has paid to have one worked on thats the last thing you want

Top Bottom