Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ATVs

I have had a Polaris 600 since 2004, over 1,000 miles with no break downs. I change all the fluids in it every other year and the oil at least twice a year. I plow snow on it and have carried dozens of deer on both the front and rear racks. I love it and would buy another one tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies. I was kind of leaning towards the grizzly but was wanting to stay in the 3-5k range and everything I am seeing for that price has a couple k miles. I didn't realize the seat was a little smaller though, i'll have to check that out. My daughter usually rides with my wife so that might be an issue. Guess i'll just have to keep my eyes open and try to find a decent deal on one. Thanks Aj

2001 Yamaha. Best atv i've ever owned. I've used it to plow sod for foodplots in areas i can't get a tractor. It's a work-horse.

They all have there issues but some have more than others. I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and it rrequires a lot of PM to keep it up and going. The Kawasakis are known for spinning bearings, mine did it at about 2000miles it was a VERY EXPENSIVE fix, complete overhaul. They also have problems with the front differential, being weak and also needing the fluid changed andtime it goes under water and they go through main seals pretty regularly. But if youre not gonna beat on it and play too much like I do then theyre a great wheeler and it does have a big seat plenty of room for two people. That being said theres only one other one I would own and thats a Can-Am but theyre quite a bit more expensive. You just need to decide what youre going to be doing with it. Mine is mostly for fun, trail riding and playing in the mud or creeks but it will do almost anything else I want it to as well. But if your just looking for something to get you in and out and drag a deer or two you dont need much, Ive got a buddy with a little 250cc that will do all of that. But if youre wanting to do any kind of field work with it for food plot type work then I would lean towards a polaris or the Can-am if its in your price range theyre both good workhorses. So Kawasaki, Can-Am, for play... Polaris, and Can-Am for work and almost anything for general use... the hondas are known for reliability but lack the power of the bigger V-twins

I have a Honda that just won't quite, I'd love to have a new one but can't seem to justify it when mine runs like new and all I've ever done to it is routine maintenance. If you want to trade every couple years get a Polaris...I grew up with them on the farm and we traded every couple years because we had to....not because we wanted to. IMO Honda atv's are the equivalent of a John Deere tractor....cost more but they run forever so they're worth it in the long run

If you are looking at used, check out www.crankyape.com . They have repo ATV's and sometime you can find a deal on one with low miles or a dealer that closed up and lost his inventory. They have a location in Mn. so not to bad of a drive to pick one up if the price is right.

I am very biased, i have rode all types and makes but I am a die hard Honda guy, like mentioned before cost a little more but last forever. Just ask yourself how many used hondas do you see sitting around for sale compared to other makes and models, not very many that is for sure and there is a reason for that. Polaris are a dime a dozen you can find them for sale everywhere. JMO

I am very biased, i have rode all types and makes but I am a die hard Honda guy, like mentioned before cost a little more but last forever. Just ask yourself how many used hondas do you see sitting around for sale compared to other makes and models, not very many that is for sure and there is a reason for that. Polaris are a dime a dozen you can find them for sale everywhere. JMO

Right on. I had a honda. bullet proof. Pull your asses are everywhere. Mechcanics around here say that those keep them in business. But I love my suzuki too. Both are great but you still see honda 3-wheelers running around farms from the 80's.

You mean old honda's like this one that I'm rebuilding???

ghghgh.jpg

hjhjh.jpg

ghghhgh.jpg

kkh.jpg

Love old honda's you just can't go wrong with them. This is a 1985 200X. Going to have 1986 colors on it when done. Engine rebuilt with a 230cc kit and performance cam. Should have it finished this summer.

That brings back great memories. I used to have a honda 90, 110, yamaha 175 I believe and a big red. Uncle had a 200X and other uncle had a pair of 250Rs. Talk about change your pants after that ride!!

Love the 200x rebuild...and you even have the rare front caliper still there. Most of them just have the rotor and no brake assembly...Bonus! i did a frame up myself on an 86 a few years back...love that machine...I couldnt kill it, even when i tried. I have an 86 350x just waiting to be redone. Still runs like a champ. For my bachelor party last year, 20 of us went up to Spider lake Rec area here in MN and played for a couple days. i let the brother in law bring and ride the 350x(didnt have anything else to use for him). He made it everywhere we did, didnt skip a beat...Best motors Honda made in those old trikes, thats why i keep 1 or more around....The best wheelie machines too......

Last edited:
I love the old Hondas. I actually have an 86 200x and an 86 250sx (best three wheeler ever made) that I ride around the farm. They're just not as practical when hauling or having one of the kids with you, but I ride them every chance I get. I think I might be going to look at a Can Am 400 for the wife this afternoon, should be plenty for her. Also found a Can Am 800xt but I don't want to kill her off just yet! Aj

That brings back some memories, I bought a 200X new in 1985. I still have a 350X motor in garage. I'd like to slip it in a 250X 4 wheeler frame someday.

We had a Polaris 700 when they first came out, talk about a power house... could pull a wheely that would flip it the first bit we had it, but it seemed to lose a step, we also had a 350 honda rancher that we had for a few years before the popo, rode them together and the polaris was in the shop every few months, always the same problem. it would get sluggish and barely run, the mechanics were always askin us where the hell we rode that thing, our response was everywhere we take our honda and that is still runnin like a top. I don't know if we got a lemon or some faulty mechanic work but it really burned me on polaris.

So we eventually traded the 700 sportsman off for a Honda Rincon, the 650 carbed one, and it was a heck of a machine, after a couple years we traded up for the 680 fuel injected, and that thing is a freakin rig. it's got prolly around 3000 miles on it now and still drives like the day we brought it home, I'll give it to the popo for power and speed, but the honda is hands down better in reliability and handling.

The rancher I mentioned before is a testament to honda reliability, we got it new in 1999 and my brother and sister and I rode the bejesus out of it. I think its got 12-13000 miles on it. it is still machanically sound but the body has taken some pretty sever beatin over the years, its parked away in the shed now, if I threw a battery in it she'd be ready to rock.

I don't have much experience with the other big brand names, so I can tell you good or bad about them, I know I would never pay for another polaris again, but thats just my opinion. I wouldn't buy anything else but a honda, the other brands may be good, but if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Another plug for honda. We used to ride as a club in Arkansas, pulled Polaris's and Suzuki's out with my 2 wd Rancher often. Yamaha's seem to hold up well too. Wouldn't buy anything else. I regret selling mine, but kids came and I didn't have room or cash anymore.

Top Bottom