Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Avoiding change VS managing it

hoosierhunter

Another topic gave me this idea. I believe Iowa cannot avoid the NR push much longer. With that being said, it seems more appropriate to brainstorm ideas to MANAGE the idea instead of avoid it. This can go sideways so let's not debate whether it will happen but stay in brainstorm mood. What ideas do you have!

Should it be a available to landowners will only "x" amount of land?
Should there be a separate landowner draw?
Should you require earn a buck on NR landowners?
Make only 1 buck tag available per year to them?
Should the landowner be required to submit a management plan to the DNR for approval if they own "x" amount or more of land?

Iabowhunter has a very good take on it. I have never liked it but most of the neighbors that surround us are nr. And I know of more than one that have a residence here and get their mail sent here half the year to cheat the system and claim residency. And no they don't live here for six months a year.

It is truly a shame that we have both allowed and encouraged such commercialization of deer hunting that we now have such issues with cheating and bending rules and out right breaking laws just for the sake of the largest set of horns that can be had. As Pogo said once "We have seen the enemy and it is US". What ever happened to hunting for the sheer fun of it? I know, it was sucked out of us by all the big name pros with TV shows. I do believe that there will be changes in the near future but I don't know what they will be or even if there will be many deer to hunt, similar to the pheasants that we used to hunt!

I think that NR that don't fill a doe tag while hunting shouldn't be allowed to apply for 5 years. A lot of land that is off limits(leased or owned) never sees the pressure and that is why there are areas overpopulated with deer. And these does need tagged by a DNR agent to prove instead of a phone call.

Last edited:
Second that!

Let just simply allow NRs of all shape, color and size the same draw they currently are allowed. That way when they buy land in Iowa they will be well aware of the regulations and contently live with what the draw offers them. Great thread.

I hope it never changes, I am a non res, hunted iowa the 1st time in 2010, it was great. Hoping to draw a tag this year, I am from missouri the land of many gun seasons.

I will be there to fight for you Iowans, when they try and victimize and mess with your lively hood, and I will round up as many non residents that feel the same, we will call and send emails,letters everyday to the legislatures.

That's all I have to offer to the problem if it occurs.

I hope it never changes, I am a non res, hunted iowa the 1st time in 2010, it was great. Hoping to draw a tag this year, I am from missouri the land of many gun seasons.

I will be there to fight for you Iowans, when they try and victimize and mess with your lively hood, and I will round up as many non residents that feel the same, we will call and send emails,letters everyday to the legislatures.

That's all I have to offer to the problem if it occurs.

Had a couple gentlemen in my shop the other day from Wisconsin. They felt the same way you do. Refreshing to hear this from NR hunters.:way: I don't care what way you look at it: give NR landowners buck tags every year, up the NR quota, it don't matter. The quality of hunting here will decline PERIOD. Not to mention a ton of other stuff we don't want to happen...

Just to play devils advocate. I dont know any nonresidents who are a detriment to the young bucks like the resident weekend warriors who will kill 25 bucks in their group and only two are worth mounting.

The status quo is what keeps a target on Iowa's back. People that want to change things are trying to make it easier, more available, etc for THEMSELVES. Hoping all the time that what Iowa has doesn't change, except for them. Human nature I guess. You can't change some things without changing all things.

Its refreshing to hear from all those NR that don't own land...I agree to the point that if you don't own land you remain in the draw. If you own land and pay taxes, thats a little different. I own land in Iowa (2 acres ) and no I don't think I should get a tag. I would speak differently if I owned 10 or more acres and only wanted to hunt on my own land.

Just to play devils advocate. I dont know any nonresidents who are a detriment to the young bucks like the resident weekend warriors who will kill 25 bucks in their group and only two are worth mounting.

So now you decide what deer people can shoot and what they can't. That is the dumbest thing I've read in awhile. Not everyone needs a wall mounter for it to be a successful hunt they paid for the tag it's their decision.:thrwrck:

Top Bottom