Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Baiting regs

rc10pt

I looked briefly but didn't find. Can someone point me to the baiting regs as to when to remove before hunting. I thought I remembered a month??

I dont think that there is anything in the regulations about a time frame as to when it has to be removed. You just cannot hunt over bait or on a trail that is leading to a baitsite. There might be something about a cetain distance, I was thinking like 200 or so yards, not sure on that one though. I do know that regardless if your mineral block is still there, there will still be mineral residue in the soil and they can soil test that and charge you with hunting over a bait site. If I am wrong, just let me know guys.

I have always heard it is up to the CO. If he/she believes you gained an unfair advantage by having bait or mineral nearby..... you are probably in trouble.

Not worth the risk if you ask me.

I know it is 300 yards from the bait sight but I do not remember a time frame in which it has to be removed

Sent from my iPhone using IW

A DNR official I spoke to last week told me the rule of thumb on removing bait before hunting over the area is 30 days. This of course would not include mineral or salt as it is still present in the soil.

Thanks guys....seems to be a bit of a grey area so I'm gonna remove the blocks this weekend and throw fresh dirt on them. I won't be using these particular stands/trails til late shotgun and late muzzle.

your stand or blind has to be at least 200 yards from your bait site, mineral station etc. Also, if on foot can't harvest a deer within that 200 yard zone

So what is it? 300? 200? I doubt you will find it in writing and as suggested by a couple of you, rules of thumb might apply, and what your CO thinks... does apply.

Show me where it lists a distance. I have never seen one. I have talked to local CO's regarding this and they always say there is no set distance. It is a judgement call whether you are gaining an advantage from the bait area.
We have had a few go arounds with the DNR about hunting geese that were flying to and from a baited area. We were over a 1/2 mile away, not in the same section. Never got cited for it but they told us they could. Again, they said there is no certain distance.

I also have to ask the age old question...
So leaving corn or beans in the field (or for that matter a food plot) for the sole purpose of hunting is legal but putting a little pile of corn out is an unfair advantage? Regulations like this crack me up!

I always wondered, it says you can have it there if it's there during regular agriculture practices. So if you leave a mineral block out year around does that make it legal?

I believe it was in the 08 09 book. I am looking for my old regs books now. That was the first year I put in stations. Is the only reason I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Code of Iowa: No distance listed.

http://search.legis.state.ia.us/nxt/gateway.dll/ar/iac?f=templates&fn=default.htm

571 - 106.7(6)
Prohibited weapons and devices.
The use of dogs, domestic animals, bait, rifles other than muzzleloaded or as provided in 106.7(5), handguns except as provided in 106.7(3), crossbows except as provided in 106.7(1), automobiles, aircraft, or any mechanical conveyance or device, including electronic calls, is prohibited, except that paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may hunt from any stationary motor-driven land conveyance. “Bait” means grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts, hay, salt, mineral blocks, or any other natural food materials; commercial products containing natural food materials; or by-products of such materials transported to or placed in an area for the intent of attracting wildlife. Bait does not include food placed during normal agricultural activities. “Paraplegic” means an individual with paralysis of the lower half of the body with involvement of both legs, usually due to disease of or injury to the spinal cord. It shall be unlawful for a person, while hunting deer, to carry or have in possession a rifle except as provided in 106.7(3) and 106.7(5). It shall be unlawful for a person hunting with a bow license to carry a handgun unless that person also has a valid deer hunting license and an unfilled transportation tag that permits a handgun to be used to take deer.

Must have been from a different state because i have never seen a distance in my 25 years of iowa hunting. I asked a dnr official several years ago at the state fair booth. I was told its up to the officer. If you made the kill and they think the deer was heading to the bait you are guilty of baiting.

your stand or blind has to be at least 200 yards from your bait site, mineral station etc. Also, if on foot can't harvest a deer within that 200 yard zone

Im going to put my foot in my mouth on this one. I was stating what I was told by a game ranger at Green Valley a couple years ago. After the previous posts I have done further research and distance is not listed. Sorry about this one boys. Did not mean to give false info. I thought it was correct. My bad gentleman.

This thread is confusing to me. So you can have bait out, say in front of a camera, but if you are like 300 yards away on the route from a to bait, you're not baiting?

This thread is confusing to me. So you can have bait out, say in front of a camera, but if you are like 300 yards away on the route from a to bait, you're not baiting?

There is no set distance or time frame when baiting is allowed during hunting season. As a couple others said it is left to the officers discretion. There is a lot of grey area in this law.

Best bet is to talk to your local CO and get their opinion. Mine has told me as far a mineral licks go that if there is any evidence of deer pawing at the soil to get to mineral he considers it baiting even if the block or whatever is removed. As far as corn or other grains in front of cameras, etc. He told me that if there is even a trace of it there he would write me a ticket.

No law in Iowa prohibiting putting out bait to get pictures view wildlife etc.

Law in place prohibiting the use of bait to aid hunting.

I would bet a good lawyer could argue that taking pictures of wildlife over bait placed there for the purpose of attracting wildlife would in fact be aiding the actual "hunting" of said animals. Good thing none of the good lawyers work for the state. They all have private practices.

I have always heard it is up to the CO. If he/she believes you gained an unfair advantage by having bait or mineral nearby..... you are probably in trouble.

Not worth the risk if you ask me.

Ok so here is a question coming from someone who owns no land, and strictly hunts public property.

What is the difference if you "gain an advantage" by setting out a pile of whatever bait/attractant/mineral, or by "gaining an advantage" by planting all of these little food plots or fields with the 100% goal of attracting/baiting (not for income) and keeping deer on your farm, as well as setting up stand sights???

Just a question, not saying I disagree or agree either way. I think there is a fine line between what people call "fair chase" and "gaining an advantage" and I realize this could be discussed with any equipment used.

Top Bottom