Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Baiting regs

What the difference is, is what is prohibited and what is not, and what the definitions of the two are in the code of Iowa.

There has to be a line drawn in the sand somewhere I guess.

I realize the difference set forth by the state of Iowa, but I was asking what is the difference in actually attracting or baiting deer as both are doing the same thing, and what makes one fair or unfair, legal or illegal.

Again, no question that I asked was meant to offend or disagree with someone either way.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
It would be nice to talk to who decided what the difference is. It seems to me that it an unfair advantage to the guy who doesnt have land to plant a food plot on. I understand that the people that have land work very hard to have it( i do have property to plant food plots on) but its not my land and i lucked out being able to do so. I would say someone who has a food plot to hunt over has a way better chance of attracting deer then someone who pours out a bucket of corn. Could you imagine how much money it would take to pattern a deer by pouring corn on the ground daily?

I realize the difference set forth by the state of Iowa, but I was asking what is the difference in actually attracting or baiting deer as both are doing the same thing, and what makes one fair or unfair, legal or illegal.

Sorry to be captain obvious, but I believe the difference is that in one case you are dumping out a bucket of corn and in the other your are planting a corn seed hopeing it will grow into a plant, that in turn grows several ears of corn.

Both are attractants like scent drippers, TSI, habitat improvements, calls etc. All are different but all used to attract deer in this case.

Fair or unfair, ethical or unethical are all personal opinions.

dblmainbeam; Yes I believe that the line is somewhat crooked and faint, but still a line in the gray colored sand.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. All have valid points.

it really got me when in one episode Lee MOWED (not harvested) an entire field of corn on his Iowa farm, basically dumping corn on the ground as one might do with a bucket. Every ear of corn laying right on the ground.

Last edited:
What gets me are all the people that feel the need to use bait in order to kill deer and then call themselves sportsman or real hunters. And then if they do kill a monster buck they arent going to tell you "I put out 50lbs of corn and this deer came in and started eating it infront of my stand for 5 minutes and then I shot him. Instead it will be some story of how they sat in the stand for 4 hours and saw this buck way out there and called him in and made a 30 yard shot and it was a tough hunt".. Give me a break some Hunter you are!

Do I use mineral blocks and attractants for my trail cameras.. Sure do! Do I hunt over them... Sure dont... Dont see the fair chase part in it. Do I use rattle horns and grunt tubes... Sure do... I see it as a tool that you have to be decent at using to convince an animal that your another animal you can suck with them or be good with them. hard to suck at using bait to get deer to come in.

JMO

What gets me are all the people that feel the need to use bait in order to kill deer and then call themselves sportsman or real hunters. And then if they do kill a monster buck they arent going to tell you "I put out 50lbs of corn and this deer came in and started eating it infront of my stand for 5 minutes and then I shot him. Instead it will be some story of how they sat in the stand for 4 hours and saw this buck way out there and called him in and made a 30 yard shot and it was a tough hunt".. Give me a break some Hunter you are!

Do I use mineral blocks and attractants for my trail cameras.. Sure do! Do I hunt over them... Sure dont... Dont see the fair chase part in it. Do I use rattle horns and grunt tubes... Sure do... I see it as a tool that you have to be decent at using to convince an animal that your another animal you can suck with them or be good with them. hard to suck at using bait to get deer to come in.

JMO
I don't think anyone has said they wanted to hunt over a 50 pound bag of corn. what is the difference between hunting over a quarter acre plot of food plot that is plant solely for the use of drawing deer in and hunting over corn. if you usehunt minerals for your cams how far away do you have to hunt after you remove them because that site is considered baited even if it has been removed. I dont hunt over bait but i do have stands around my food plot.

As someone else said you are planting a seed in hopes it will grow into a plant. Its not gauranteed to be there like your mineral rock or bag of corn. Also your not planting a 2 foot by 2 foot foodplot. Your planting an acre or 2 which its hard to cover a 2 acre foodplot with your bow unless you can shoot consistantly 100yards with your bow.

As far as stand placement I dont put stands on any trails leading to the places I had my minerals for trailcams. And not within direct line of sight/Shooting distance with your longest ranging weapon. So no closer than 200-250 yards.(I use bow and muzzy). That is the ruling I have heard from more than one CO.

So its 200 to 250 yards

I wouldnt write it in stone but I personally wouldnt take a shot on an animal over 250.. I know guys that will take 300 yard shots. just whatever you consider to be your max range stay a little further than that away from the bait. Just my opinion

It also makes a difference if there is 50 yards of woods between you and the bait I think you would be able to hunt on the other side as long as you werent on a trail going directly to that bait.... I dont know I just think there is alot of common sense that can be used when dealing with this.

I always wondered, it says you can have it there if it's there during regular agriculture practices. So if you leave a mineral block out year around does that make it legal?

Good question...is it legal to hunt over mineral stations set up for cattle? Agricultural practice, and if the cattle still have access come hunting season, they can quickly blow your hunt!

$195 fine plus your equipment...Pick your mineral site as if you were to have to defend it in court. You may have to.

This post is trademarked, but I'm coming out with salt block decoys. Soon to be available at your local sporting goods stores. All you have to do is dig up the mineral dirt and replace it and set my decoy in that area and game on. Guarantee ya'll shoot big bucks over my decoys.

I quit putting out a deer mineral lick 4 years ago(?).

I moved the salt block for the horses into the barn instead of the pasture, because the deer were visiting it.

Just didn't feel the need to test the regs in the odd chance it would come into question.

So no closer than 200-250 yards.(I use bow and muzzy). That is the ruling I have heard from more than one CO.

The last time I read the regulations, it left it to the discretion of the CO as to whether you were gaining an unfair advantage on stand placement and the proximity of a lick/bait. There was no distance qualifier. If the deer have a well beaten path from a mile away, you are in the middle of it, are you gaining an "unfair advantage". That is up to the CO to decide from what I understand. You might have been told different, but just think of the scrutiny you would be under if you happened to harvest a state/world record...... Odds are it won't happen, but if it did?

Then it comes down to your ethics. Do you want split these hairs in your quest to fill a tag?

I guess it always comes down to the CO. Guess they can tweak the laws anyway they want. :rollseyes: I don't like how it's different in each county. That doesn't seem right.

Btw guys, what it means is that if a farmer spills corn in a corn field or soybeans in a bean field you can still hunt the corn field. At least that's what I've been told.

Top Bottom