Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

BDAHMS hunting log

Well a customer called and I have to run out to desoto area- so orchard is out this evening. I'll sit the winterset area property since I'll be fairly close to that. Need to pull the trail camera cards there anyways.

This is usually a highway for deer. Riverbottom along timber with one of the few standing corn fields next to me. So far only a spike- 2.5 year old 10 and a ton of squirrels

1 doe and 4 bucks tonight. All went right under the stand. A real nice 9 but he busted a few points off.

I was going to hunt the orchard this AM but a good friend called yesterday and he had shot a giant yesterday AM and said it didn't get a lot of penetration but looked to be a good shot. So I talked him into letting it sit over night and I'm headed south to help
Him track him down. If he is as big as he said- should be an interesting day!

Well no deer found today- he is pretty sick. It's supposed to get pretty nasty out this afternoon and I've always wondered what deer do right before and immediately after a bad storm so I am going to the orchard just to sit in the truck with the binos. Get caught up on emails and glass at the same time :)

Decoy is loaded and itching to pick a fight. Headed down to southern Iowa for the day (just sitting til 12:00). Hoping for #1

Sat til 10:30 or so this AM and then I had to head back for some work. Saw a few bucks and a lone doe- all came into my decoy. I checked the camera and was surprised curly showed up on this camera. He is still pretty much fully intact and is definitely traveling. Also got a buck on camera that isn't much for antlers but his body is HUGE! I got done with a few customers and it's only 3:00 so I'm headed out to the orchard since it's not far from work and home. I'll post the pics of curly and the other buck when I get balc to the office after dark

Here is the picture of Curly from last night- he is a great looking buck.....MAN I HOPE HE LIVES TO 2016 fall!!!!!

12243292_907979934534_6413352356930756818_n.jpg

and here is the buck that doesn't have much for a rack- but he looks like a horse!

11248155_907979914574_4897882732306068722_n.jpg

I saw only 1 deer today. It happened to be curly right at 6:45. Not a single deer after. Lock down in full swing?

At the orchard-

So far one buck cruisin straight across the open corn field- took
Him 30 minutes to cross it. Either been shot or lost a fight pretty bad

Was at the orchard - lot of action but don't feel like typing it all out to be honest. Long story short- had the giant buck that was in the bino pic I posted coming in on a string. He was at 43 yards and I didn't want to take that shot so I let him get closer -got to 30 and I was drawn back and the wind swirled and boom- he was gone. He is no doubt a stud- hope he sticks around

Last edited:
Was at the orchard - lot of action but don't feel like typing it all out to be honest. Long story short- had the giant buck that was in the bino pic I posted coming in on a string. He was at 43 yards and I didn't want to take that shot so I left him get closer -got to 30 and I was drawn back and the wind swirled and boom- he was gone. He is no doubt a stud- hope he sticks around

He probably smelled your deer stick and didn't want to become one! :D Just kidding. Hate it when you get that close and then it goes bad. I keep thinking I need to extend my range out to about 60 yds, then I'd maybe have better luck! But a lot can happen in that distance. Makes me feel better to hear others that are probably better shots than me passing on 40+ yd shots.

Top Bottom