Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best days of the rut

Rut Hunter

Curious as to see what you guys think are the best days of the rut? I know weather always plays a factor in determining the best days. If you had to pick one week to hunt and had to schedule it well in advance without weather being a factor what week would you choose? Also, to narrow it down what is your favorite day historically where you would be be in your best stand if the wind was right?

Love Halloween, favorite day all-time. My days are the last part of Oct first part of Nov. Like Oct 27-Nov 4

The past couple of years have shown some great action in my area around the last two weeks of November. If I could pick a week though, I'd say week 2.5 of november is right about where its golden.

All day sits from nov 4- nov 9 this year.. nov 7th is my fav, hands down!!! Me or my bro have taken the majority of our deer on the 7th.. might be because we always schedule so the 7th is right in the middle of our hunt??

It seems like guys always have different dates they like. It's hard to pick vacation dates. Based off of what bill winke says the best dates are November 3-10. I have taken my vacation during these dates and sometimes wonder if it is better later. It seems like November 13 through the 20 can be slow because mature bucks are locked down since peak breeding occurs around the 15th. Interesting to hear others thoughts.

Any and everyday that I can make it out. This year November 4-10 just works out better for my schedule. I really like those last couple days of October and first couple of November too though.
Sent from my iPhone using IW

Last edited:
Even though it's during "lock down" Nov 15 has been good to me. Generally, in my best area, the 8th - 12th seems to be best for all day action.

My favorite day to hunt mature bucks is Halloween, trick or treat! October 27 - nov4 bucks will be cruising hard.

"Hot" is the word. You may have to factor in deer movement tied to temps this year? I know,,I know,,that crazy Loneranger always going on about the weather,,but really,,the last 10 years have seen more mild Novembers than cold, and this current weather pattern is really digging in. Do not be surprised if Nov is really warm. Even with warm days,,low humidity and dry ground lead to cool nights,,so I am thinking mornings while cool, will be the best times to be out.

In my area I agree with 7 thru about the 17th. One year was the 6th,,but that was the earliest I have seen anything over 3 yrs old.

November 9th is my single favorite day. Halloween and the 7th are second, then around thanksgiving for the biggest (oldest) deer year in and year out.

Top Bottom