Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Gear that everyone "must" have???

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
So, I get a lot of product ideas out there from you all- the real hunters. I saw the post the other day on the awesome sock liners that wick away moisture SUPER well SO I bought some (that's a real problem- wet then cold feet- for me and if I didn't read that thread, I never would have gotten them).
I bought some Covert II cameras from suggestions here. I probably will soon get the Heater Body Suit. I bought Irish Setter pack boots on suggestion here. The list goes on and on.

What's some gear, top quality items, big or small items, RANDOM items or WHATEVER that you've found that make your whitetail hunting far better? What items have really solved "normal" problems all us hunters face? What's a product you couldn't live without and so glad you found out about it?

rage two blade broadheads first and foremost, and my silky tri edge folding hand saw. ive had my fair share of those cheap junk gerbers etc. and this silky is amazing. like 30 bucks, blades are easily replacable and its just a sawing machine, so sharp, saws like a dream and stands up to the most extreme abuse!

For me it is the Hunting hoist. Bought it 4 years ago at the classic, and the one or two times I have hit the woods with out it, I felt like I could have just as well for got my bow. Retractable rope, never have to fight tangles in a string hanging from a stand. Works awesome for hanging stands to hoist them up to me in the tree, saves from going up and down. May be the best $20.00 I have spent in quite a while.

True talker grunt tube and any good quality rattling bag. Would not be in the tree without either item :way:

NWBuck

For me it would have to be the Bushnell Scout 1000 Laser Rangefinder. I also had to try the sock liners.

Drake turtle neck (neopreme) duck hunters clothing line that is awesome for warth as a bowhunter.
Danner Pronghorns
Muck boots
Sitka Gear clothing (especially vest and traverse shirt)
Pine Ridge Archery 30' bow rope
Custom Randy Nessler rattling horns:D
Good Glass of any kind
Kwik-Strap attachment devices:way::D

I guess my must haves are a really good pack, I have the Hybrid Hunter from Cabelas and just love it, comfortable and holds a wack of stuff. Next would be my Binos, I use Nikon Monarch and in my opinion in that price range nothing beats them and when I have had to use customer service it has been great. Last would be my trail cams. I have a bunch of I40's and SC550's, picture and battery life so far in 2 yrs no issues.

Here are some items I wouldn't want to be without:

Primos bow sling for carrying bow; especially when leaving the woods at night, and for raising and lowering my bow.

My 500# Big Game brand game cart new this year. I can't believe I waited this long to buy one. $129 at Scheels. ONE of my best purchases.

My HCH Inferno suit for cold weather hunting. Can't kill anything sitting at home because it is too cold to hunt.

Irish Setter snow claw 2000 gr cold weather boots

Ice Breaker boot blankets

Merino wool sock liners and socks for cold weather

Danner boots for mild weather

Predator fleece clothing line new for 2009 from Predator. Definition of warm and quiet.

Lone Wolf alpha hang on/sticks. The best money can buy

UCR (utility constriction ropes) for Lone Wolf sticks. Lightens your load, silents your setup, and extends the size of tree you can use.

Lone Wolf hand climber. The best money can buy.

Horn Hunter pack. Best pack I have owned; Better then my Badlands 2200.

Rancho Safari Mini Cat Quiver. Hides your fletchings and is a great product for guys that don't like to hunt with a quiver on their bow.

N.A.P. Gobbler Getter for turkeys and N.A.P. Spitfires for deer(multiple kills and EVERYTHING dies within sight of my stand) Awesome performance and NO "O" rings or rubberbands.

Any doe bleat can call Primos/HS Strut

Any decent buck grunt. Many out there and I have had success with many.

My set of REAL rattling antlers

A good warm fleece hand muff

Cyclops L.E.D. Headlamp

Small tripod for taking self portraits after the kill.

Binos.

High quality/affordable digital camera. I only wish I had carried one all of my hunting days, instead of just the last few years. A good camera should ALWAYS be in your pack.

I would say the best thing of this year was that HSS rope safety strap attachment. Man that thing is a breeze and quiet compared to the old buckles.

The next items is Cabelas MTO50 whitetail extreme parka and bibs. Super warm and quiet!!

Sock Liners, don't know how I lived without them.

The reel a strap for pulling up the bow gun etc. I hate messy pull ropes.

Primos Top Gun headlamp. Should of been called the mini sun!!

Under Armour a must.

Cabelas outfitter series snow camo. Great quality, windproof, waterproof and quiet.

Precision Dead Center muzzleloader bullets, love em!!

Irish Setter Gunflints. An overall good quality comfortable boot. It is my first non goretex boot but so far waterproof. Time will tell.

The Uglystick Gun Rest. I made a nice little gun rest specifically for the Lonewolf using a monopod gun rest and some Walmart hooks and a little ingenuity. She sits tight anywhere on the stand and sits perfect for those longer shots where a rest is a must. Works great!!

Goretex ball cap from Cabelas. Couldn't imagine hunting without a goretex hat, especially in rain. Nothing more miserable than when your hat leaks through. No more

Cabelas MTO50 Goretex rain suit. Great stuff!!

Nikon Riflehunter 550 rangefinder. It actually works when I want to range the middle of a field.

Seems stupid, but those little screw in drink holders. No more digging in my pack for my dew. Its right where I want it.

Gerber Gator Knife and guthook combo

Now I am going to flip this a bit, Worst item of the year.

Underarmour Liner gloves. Priced at $30 dollars they are warm for a light glove, but this is my second pair and stitching pulled apart after two hunts. Both pairs did this and I will not buy them again!!

Scott archery lil goose release. The release hangs up. It could just be my form etc, but it cost me bad!!

I bought a 25 round ruger 10/22 clip but can't remember the manufacturer. It is a clear magazine with a ram head on the sides of it. The thing is junk, doesn't even load into chamber. Do not buy!!

On the fence. The only item I am on the fence is Blackhorn 209. Not sure if it is a nay or yay yet. It shoots great, cleans out of the barrel great, but had a heck of a time with the breech plug area etc. My breech plug has actually turned black from it and it is almost like a carbon mat. I think clean up actually took longer than T7. The stuff is reliable though. I was using Hoppes #9. I did find out 1:1 Hydrochloric acid cleans the breech plug right up though.

Last edited:
Elite Z-28 Smoothest bow I've ever shot. Unbelievable!
Canon Vixia HF11 Awesome little cameras that take great video. Very handy.
Lone Wolf Assault and Sticks
Badlands Monster Fanny

Hey, from Liv4rut- worst products out there or "STAY AWAY" products are welcome on this thread too!!!

Liv4rut - thanks for the heads up on the UA liners. I was thinking of getting me a pair. I think i will steer clear of them now.

-Double Bull Matrix
-Lacrosse Alpha Burlys (if you're a rubber boot fan)
-Pretty Boy with real fan
-Jackie McCullaugh custom slate
-Alpha and sticks with UCR's for tiedown
-Homebrew cams (preferably Sony cams and SSS boards in a 1020 case)
-Fenix LED flashlight (L2D-one of the few HQ LED's that takes AA's)
-Bushnell Holosight (no longer made, Eotech took back the original patent)
-Magnus Snuffer SS broadheads (deer) and quality sharpening equipment
-Hammerhead broadheads (2") for turks
-Paradigm Archery CTA string suppressor (one of my all time faves)
-Easton Axis arrows
-Muddy Safegaurd harness
-Heater Body Suit
-Boot blankets for those times when a HBS is just barely overkill
-Under Armour cold gear
-Nikon 550 laser rangefinder
-Leupold Wind River binos
-Bass Ale (for after the hunt of course)

In order of importance and use through the year...

Danner Pronghorns
Nikon Monarchs
Badlands 2200

Use half the year

Lone Wolf Assault + sticks
Double Bull Matrix
Primos Buck Roar
EZ Hanger
Some $15 dollar bow holder that is basically a bent tent stake for turk hunting

My hunting Buddy and I ended up taking nearly 500" of bone this year and all kills were made possible by two tools.....the PackRack and VECtor grunt tube. Being small enough to put into your pocket and easy enough to manipulate when you have a 175" buck at 60 yards where you won't get busted, K&H really came up with a great product here.

VECtor grunt calls are a custom made call by a guy just an hour or so from my place in north KCMO. I know it's not an Iowa-made call, but it's still pretty close! For $35, it is BY FAR the best grunt tube one can buy. Check out his website at http://vectorcalls.com/. He also makes great turkey calls as well.

ezy climb folding tree steps.
i usually hang my stand every time i hunt and pull it when i leave,i can put 10 of these in my fanny pack,put my stand on my back and im ready to hunt.they screw in easy also.

Top Bottom