Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big catch for the weekend

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
I'm new to trapping - just got a couple coons, coyote, and now a couple beavers. But the size of the 2nd beaver from this past weekend was pretty good! Had to share with you guys. Any other trappers out there?

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

That's a good one! Did you weigh it? I would love to get into trapping more. Just gotta find the time to work around my bowhunting in the fall.. I suppose I could try some spring beaver cleaning someday :D

Nice Beaver

picture.php

You're probably thinking of the same line from this movie as I am. :D

Nothing missing from the tail Erick - I have two frozen whole now but just didn't have time to skin them yet. Going to get that done in the next 2 weeks tho. Not nearly enough freezer room to sell them on the carcass... unless you want to buy them that way and are able to get to the western side of the state quick. :D

That's a good one! Did you weigh it? I would love to get into trapping more. Just gotta find the time to work around my bowhunting in the fall.. I suppose I could try some spring beaver cleaning someday :D
Haven't weighed it yet. I'm going to try when I unthaw it and skin it. I'm curious what it weighs too.

Funny - I just started trying to trap beaver this past weekend! Set 4 traps on Saturday and had 2 small ones (about 20lbs) when I checked them on Sunday. Reset the traps and had another small one and a big otter when I checked last night. The otter was 48 inches long and weighed 27.4 pounds (and yes, I've already contacted the DNR to turn it in).
Can't wait to see what I have when I check tonight after work!

Funny - I just started trying to trap beaver this past weekend! Set 4 traps on Saturday and had 2 small ones (about 20lbs) when I checked them on Sunday. Reset the traps and had another small one and a big otter when I checked last night. The otter was 48 inches long and weighed 27.4 pounds (and yes, I've already contacted the DNR to turn it in).

If you have a decent relationship with your CO, you can ask him to see if he will give you a permitt to keep it. It will not allow you to sell it in the future, but assuming that is your first otter, you probably want to keep it.

I have no idea about Iowa, but Missouri would allow me to "buy" otter from them, once the season was out. Again, I had a metal restricted to sale punched through the hide, but if I wanted to keep them, I wanted to tan them.

Sure is a bummer that the otter's can't be kept once the quota is full, however, excellent job reporting it. I'm sure there are probably trappers out there that just take them out of the trap and throw them away rather than reporting so they don't have to mess with the DNR, but those reports are what helps 'up' the quota for next year.

@ nanny - yes, I asked if there was a way I could keep it, but he said it was a federal tag thing and he could not issue me one. I tried!

And I will be interested to know the weight of that beaver! Fat sucker!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom