Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Biggest or most memorable buck you never killed

Okay, I'll contribute to this. This topic is awesome by the way. PMA members have already heard this one but I will share anyways.(Most of these are videos by the way) This buck I had picture of last year during the rut. I am assuming this is the same buck because of the multiple brows, maybe a different one but I doubt it. Here he is in 2011......

I was rattling to another buck and turned to put up the bag when we saw each other at the same time. It was a wet morning and the leaves silenced everything. He spooked to about 25 yards and had a little shrub in between us until he finally took off trotting at 40 yards. There was a bigger buck on the farm so it didn't bother me at the time.

This summer I got a couple of pictures of a big buck on the same farm but wasn't able to ID the buck because I couldn't see the multiple brows.
PICT0440_zpsb74997ad.jpg

PICT0437_zps4e5e4e70.jpg

I didn't get another picture of him but showed the trail cam pics to all of my friends joking about how cool it would be to see him in a treestand.

I took November 12 and 13 off from work and planned on hunting a four day weekend. Saturday, the 10th was like 80 degrees so I spent the day with my wife and kids getting one last family day before the big forecasted cold snap. I took off Saturday evening and set up a blind that night in a hedge row that I would hunt the next day. A cold front was coming in and it was supposed to be 50 degrees at 5 am and only get colder from there. I grabbed camera cards from the two farms I hunt after setting the blind and went to my in laws for the night. I checked the cameras and found that he was back on the farm and it was the same buck from the year before.

I was excited but I wanted to hunt the other farm the next day in the blind with the forecast of rain all morning with snow and sleet in the afternoon. It was an eventful day but one that I don't know that I will try again with the wet clothes and weather change that took place. The deer were definitely on their feet that evening but the anticipation was growing as the following morning approached. I knew I was going to the farm where this guy was on camera and going to sit in the stand I nearly shot him from the next morning. I took the family camcorder and my muddy camera arm to video the big hunt, knowing that there was a snowballs chance in hell that I would get the opportunity to be so lucky.

I went out the next morning and was set up about 45 minutes before it was light out so I didn't spook deer coming back out for a pre-dawn snack. I started doing some blind grunt calling acting like a buck was chasing a doe on this bottom I was hunting. My third time through the sequence I was interupted by what sounded like a 4-wheeler coming through the draw above me. I looked up and it was him. By some stroke of luck I remembered to turn the camera on and get it on him before I called him back to me........

Embarrassing enough, there is a reason why this is in this post and not another. I have a video of him leaving the draw 30 minutes after the shot and have looked almost 20 hours all around the property for his body and sheds with no luck. I hope someone is awaiting their taxidermist to get him done right now or he is alive and well as we speak. I am thankful to have a story like this but obviously bummed at the missed opportunity. Here is the parting shot he left me with after I hit him.....

Thanks for sharing and keep these stories and pictures coming. Everyone can contribute to this one!!!!

I'll play...
this is a buck I called Splits. Gave him a pass in 2011 and then got literally hundreds of pics of him all summer and early fall this year. then he just disappeared.
PICT0105.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

PICT0224.jpg

PICT0192.jpg

PICT0181.jpg

I never got an official score of this buck, but was able to see a harvest picture of him and get some inches off his rack. I think the reason this buck was so hard to lose was, I fed him up all summer with BB2, Managed this farm for the past 4 years to start getting this caliber of bucks, had him patterned in this bean field every evening, had a perfect set up tucked 10 yards into the timber for this buck. I found out 2 weeks before season that the farm had been sold and I was no longer able to hunt it. This crushed me knowing all the blood sweat and tears that went into making this set up perfect for taking this buck early season just to miss my chance due to land being sold. I know the neighbor who harvested him during shotgun season and even though he didn't score the highest what got me was the 22inch inside spread he carried.

Biggest one i have pics of. Brutus, months worth of cam pics, new his core, first morning I hunted it had him 55 yards for 2 hours and never closed the deal. Neighbor whacked him a week later when he was bumped off the ground by another set of hunters

Monster10-8.jpg

Biggest ever went 197" typical, no pics just memories permanently burnt into my mind. Saw him two consecutive days and then one other time at 100 yards during muzzy. Neighbor shot him and that is when I learned of the gross typical, unreal.

The saga of Scar

During the shotgun season of 2008, my wife called me while I was hunting and said I needed to cut a load of firewood for the neighbor. So I threw the ML in the truck and headed for a dead elm I knew about in a waterway.

As I was driving along the waterway, a buck jumped up and ran ahead. I stopped the truck, uncased the ML and walked to where I saw him last. As I hit the fence and stood there wondering where he went, he busted out of some brush. I waited for him to get clear of branches, put the scope on his last rib on the quartering away shot, hit the trigger.

There was hair all over the snow where he was when I shot, fair amount of blood, which soon stopped.

I got a trailcam pic on January 22 of the following year showing the flesh wound.
Jan2009_zpsc095cd05.jpg

During the 2010 season I passed him twice during bow season, both times under 20 yards because I had trailcam pics of bigger bucks. My mistake because the bigger bucks were nocturnal and transients. Between the split left ear and the "scar" on his left rear ham, he was easy to keep track of. Here he is in 2010.
IM000169.jpg

I had high hopes of killing him during the 2011 season. It seemed I had his core area pegged. He was not shy about when he showed himself. This is one of the last pics I had of him:
IM000007-2.jpg

Early October, I was getting in the car to go to a business meeting in Chicago and saw him chasing a doe across a freshly cut corn field. It was tough to get in the car that day. After season, I found out he got shot across the road. A guy named Randy shot him, so I guess that is kind of poetic justice in some weird twisted sort of way.

As a side note: Pretty sure I have the busted tine from the 2008 rack.

Top Bottom