Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Booner buck?

Youngbuck1030

Bowhunter
What makes a buck qualify for Boone and Crockett? Just curious just getting by into to bowhunting and trying to soak up as much info as possible. Thanks

If you are just getting in to bow hunting,Congrats!!! Animals killed with bow and arrows are scored with the Pope and Young scoring system (same system as B&C with lower minimums). Whitetail typical minimum for P&Y is 125 and non typical minimum is 155! Good luck this year!!!

I would say the vast majority of hunters talk in terms of gross score which is the total inches of antler measurements before deductions.

Hence the term gross boone

A "Booner" to me is any deer you are happy with. The real thrill to me is seeing an animal that has managed to elude all my neighbors for 4 or more yrs! Regardless of what is growing out of his head . This is not sour grapes. Just my personal feeling. On with the Booner discussion.

JMO...booner, boone, B/C are too loosely used today by hunters as is the gross score by itself. Most hunters say that the net score does not represent their deer to it's fullest and that is why the inches of deductions should follow the net score. It takes a hell of a frame to absorb the deductions and still keep above the B/C minimums...it is an elite club and should stay that way. Two years ago I killed a 165 net with 11 inches of deductions. In my way of thinking, to tell someone that I killed a 176 is misleading and disrespectful to anyone lucky enough or has made their luck to kill a true B/C. Once again this is JMO.

Net is for the book. You can put any number on it you want, just don't associate it with Boone and Crockett. Call it a 176 buckmasters... that would describe it.

JMO...booner, boone, B/C are too loosely used today by hunters as is the gross score by itself. Most hunters say that the net score does not represent their deer to it's fullest and that is why the inches of deductions should follow the net score. It takes a hell of a frame to absorb the deductions and still keep above the B/C minimums...it is an elite club and should stay that way. Two years ago I killed a 165 net with 11 inches of deductions. In my way of thinking, to tell someone that I killed a 176 is misleading and disrespectful to anyone lucky enough or has made their luck to kill a true B/C. Once again this is JMO.

I shot a buck that scored grossed 192 inches and is the p&y as a 156. Then I shot a 157 that is in the books as a 154. To tell people that I have two 150s is miss leading

View attachment 2610

View attachment 2609

Let's be honest here and state how many guys we all personally probably know that have Net Booners on their wall that simply only family and friends know about. I can name several that have not and will not enter them into the books, as they do not believe our sport needs that attention.

So with that being said, is it fair to them or anyone else when stating the score of their deer to refer to it as the "net" score compared to "gross" score??? I also too feel that the score of the deer (if your not looking for 'atta boys" and pats on the back) should be based on the total inches' that deer grew, plain and simple. That's just my opinion but to each their own.

I would not dream of telling anyone that I killed a 156...that is the typical score I presume. I would tell people the net non typical score after side to side deductions and if the side to sides are great I would throw that in there. If that wouldn't do it I would show them the pic. I also wouldn't tell people, if it grossed 196, that I killed a booner. Bad azz buck by the way.

Let's be honest here and state how many guys we all personally probably know that have Net Booners on their wall that simply only family and friends know about. I can name several that have not and will not enter them into the books, as they do not believe our sport needs that attention.

So with that being said, is it fair to them or anyone else when stating the score of their deer to refer to it as the "net" score compared to "gross" score??? I also too feel that the score of the deer (if your not looking for 'atta boys" and pats on the back) should be based on the total inches' that deer grew, plain and simple. That's just my opinion but to each their own.
Whether someone enters it or not is irrelevant to me...if it is a booner it's a booner.

As far as total inches...I'm ok with total inches if it is put out there like that. You will probably get more atta boys and pats on the back with a higher number.

Whether someone enters it or not is irrelevant to me...if it is a booner it's a booner.

As far as total inches...I'm ok with total inches if it is put out there like that. You will probably get more atta boys and pats on the back with a higher number.

I get where your coming from and agree that it's clear, cut and dry the official net scores for a deer to make Boone and Crockett. I'm assuming your saying the term "booner" gets thrown around too much which I also agree, however in my eyes since I'm just your everyday Joe Hunter, I don't take offense to a guy throwing the term Booner around if in fact that deer grossed those inches. I've seen other instances where deer similar to "mudingbuck" grosses crazy high then gets bent over and net's junk.

I guess in my own personal eyes, the deer grew those inches and I never plan on entering a deer into the books so the gross total score is all i'll ever care about.

Thanks for some reason the P&Y guy scoring it says it scores as a typical. The deer classic says it's a non typical and I agree but P&Y won't change it being it was already entered as a typical. Deer classic scored it a 183 NT. All this confusion just got me going with the gross scores

I shot a buck that scored grossed 192 inches and is the p&y as a 156. Then I shot a 157 that is in the books as a 154. To tell people that I have two 150s is miss leading

View attachment 2610

View attachment 2609

The best I have heard it stated! A lot of BIG deer get raped by deductions.

I'm not complaining and no I don't think B&C should change their rules. They are what they are and they are the same for all deer and all hunters.

The scoring systems is messed up imo. Nets are meant for fishing not scoring deer. I shot a buck with whole bunch of character and big club and drop time with points coming off it and it grossed 170 and change but when I took it to deer classic this year it netted 126.... Its just a number I understand but for a non typical they should have a different scoring system. The deer grew it so should add to score not subtract from it. I understand if its scored as a typical but non typical there should be no deductions...

The scoring systems is messed up imo. Nets are meant for fishing not scoring deer. I shot a buck with whole bunch of character and big club and drop time with points coming off it and it grossed 170 and change but when I took it to deer classic this year it netted 126.... Its just a number I understand but for a non typical they should have a different scoring system. The deer grew it so should add to score not subtract from it. I understand if its scored as a typical but non typical there should be no deductions...
that's the same thing that happened with my 2011 buck. Has a split g2 and several kickers. Grossed 161 but at the classic he netted 124 7/8.

Top Bottom