Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Booner buck?

I don't care about net scores, and I really don't care about being in a club or a book. It's their club, they can use whatever rules they want. It's my choice whether I want to abide by their rules. If you don't like the way they do it, don't join their club. At the end of the day, the number is just that. All this worrying about numbers is having a negative effect on the sport.

Thanks for some reason the P&Y guy scoring it says it scores as a typical. The deer classic says it's a non typical and I agree but P&Y won't change it being it was already entered as a typical. Deer classic scored it a 183 NT. All this confusion just got me going with the gross scores

I had a similar experience. Does anyone know for a fact how many abnormal inches is required to be deemed nontypical? Or is it a gray area to be decided by the measurer?

I just read an article that says you have to have 12 inches of abnormal point to be considered non typical in p&y.

P& Y is 15 inches then it must be scored as a non typical. For B&C all it takes is 1 inch and if it exceeds the 195 non typ minimum he can be scored as a non typ

I agree with the person a few postsback. Who care about numbers? It's an animal with bones growing out of it's head. The animal,the venison, how smart it was to avoid humans, is what is interesting and challenging. Coarse I've said this before.

I wish B&C had made a category for Gross scores as well. What I'm saying is, you might have a Hansen world record of 212" NET typical or whatever it was BUT then, in another category, you have a world record GROSS typical, maybe that world record was 225" (and maybe netted less but was higher gross than Hansen).
But yes, I could care less about Net score.

It takes the net score to make B&C book minimum but the animals gross score is also printed in the book. A big misconception is you need 170 typical and 195 non typical to make the book but the actual minumims are 160/185. 170 is the all time book printing (theres 2 books all time 170/195 and awards book 160/185) this number is going to go up in the future, as the book is getting to big to print.
P&Y as someone has alredy stated requires 15" min of nontypical points to qualify as a NT.
Deductions are all about science and herd health. back in the 50's when the modern scoring system was developed, side to side comparisons were and are today, help determine a deers health, examples we see on here in trail cam pics all the time, one side of the rack is typical and the other side is messed up, usually due to injury. a full framed spindly goofy rack could be poor nutrition ect. deductions are about science and its only on the typical frame, non typical points are added in to the score for non typicals.
I don't ever want to fish with anyone who needs a net to fish, if your to scared to touch a fish then you probobly don't bait your own hook either.

The biggest down fall of deductions i see that affect score are typical points that are broke off due to fighting its unfortunate but it happens alot in Iowa, this is another science indicator for deer managers, alot of broken tines in a hunting area equals more mature bucks and possible out of balance age structures (i know you can't have to many mature bucks as a hunter) affecting buck health due to stress of the rut and having to survive through winter run down.

As far as 40" of deductions on a previous post, something is wrong there, someone is measuring wrong unless it has a monster world class typical frame with broken typical points and not enough nontypical points to make it a typical, and those points are deducted to to get to 40".

Top Bottom