Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Boots

In the market for a new pair of rubber boots. Been looking at the Lacrosse Alpha Burlys with 1200 grams of thinsulate. Good choice, bad choice? What do you guys like and why?

For stand hunting only? I do some walking and stand hunting and really like the danner pronghorns 800gr. Had 1200gr pack boots but they were way too hot for walking, my feet were even sweating on the way to the stand, then froze an hour later. The danners are more of a best of both worlds for me (still not perfect) and they've held to going on 4 yrs.

Not a fan of the lacrosse. Had a pair and they have cracked and have holes in them all over now after just 2 years. I'd go with Muck's. Huge fan.

RC, I've got a pair of Pronghorns also but they're uninsulated. Looking for some insulation and more looking towards rubber boots other than lace up boots. Don't you think rubber/mucks are better for scent control too?

Killer Miller said:
In the market for a new pair of rubber boots. Been looking at the Lacrosse Alpha Burlys with 1200 grams of thinsulate. Good choice, bad choice? What do you guys like and why?

I just bought some of these lacrosse boots. They are quite warm. I couldn't figure out why my feet were cold the first time I got them. Then I realized that I was wearing merino wool socks and my feet got sweaty on the way in. So yes they are very warm boots.

Yeah for scent control rubbers would prob b the way to go. Last time I wore rubber boots I kept hooking on barb wire when crossing fences, that's why I went to goretex/leather and can honestly say that I haven't had scent issues with them, I just spray'um down good.

I've worn everything from lacrosse, rocky, danner and manner others. I bought a pair of Mucks and they are a step above the rest. Mine are the Wetland I believe and they do what I need. I have poor circulation in my ankle due to breaking it multiple times and usually have cold feet. Had to layer up socks and use toe warmers with my Lacrosse's that were 1200 and the Mucks keep my feet warmer than the rest of my body with only one pair of socks. They are comfortable, durable, and warm.

I bought a pair and after about 2 years of normal use they split at the ankles where the material creases. Bought a pair of mucks and so far they show no signs of doing that. Other than that I love alpha Burlys

I really like my Muck boots. Most comfortable boot I've worn. I have the Arctic Pro for warmer colder weather since my feet seem to get colder faster the older I get. I have a pair of Lacrosse but to me they don't compare to the Mucks.

I was budget shopping as couple of years ago and bought the Cabelas Comfort Trac 1200 gram insulated rubber boots and I like them a lot. I grew up hating rubber boots ('cause my dad wouldn't let me wear anything else and mine were uninsulated), but I like these. Of course, I haven't worn LaCrosse, Muck's or Irish Setters to compare, but the Cabelas boots are worth a look.

I have hunted with my muck woody elites for two years now. Great boots, they are warmer than any of the rubber boots I have used.

The only downfall so far is the neoprene uppers are showing signs of wear from briars. No leaks yet.

Mobile Cooter using IW

Last edited:
Good recommendations all around. I've got a pair of LaCrosse that I just wear for bow hunting. They are warm and haven't cracked in 6 years use, but I don't walk very far in them. Lots of hours/not many miles. I also have a couple different pairs of Mucks for other outside stuff. They do have some miles on them and are great.

I hqvet hunted with my muck woody elites for two years now. Great boots, they are warmer than any of the rubber boots I have used.

The only downfall so far is the neoprene uppers are showing signs of wear from briars. No leaks yet.

Mobile Cooter using IW
Don't let that fool ya. I witnessed the most tatterred looking pair of boots I'd ever seen (a pair of Mucks) walk across a creek and the guy still have dry feet. He wore them coon hunting multiple times a week for 5 years. They looked like they were worthless but he said they kept his feet dry and warmer than any other boot. That is what sold me on buying a pair.

Pulled the trigger on a pair of Wetland Muck's at Scheels the other day. I hunted Friday morning until about 9 and my feet never got cold. I believe it was 28 degrees Friday morning. They're pretty darn comfy so far too, but my stand is only about a 200 yard walk from the truck.

I vote Mucks, hands down! I replaced my 1200gm Lacrosse Alpha Burly with Muck
Arctic Pro a few weeks back. The mucks are a lot warmer.

Bass Pro has Mucks Rangers on sale on there 5 day sale starting tomorrow running through Sunday. I think they are $40 or $50 off if I remember right.

Rogers Sporting Goods down in Kansas City has some in there Christmas ad I just got in the mail. They are great to work with and delivery to Iowa is usually the next day if you order it early enough the previous day, thats no additional cost either.

I have 2 pairs of Lacrosse and are happy with them. They are getting worn at the ankles though but I use them alot.

Top Bottom